PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Protein Bars

Pairunoyd
08-12-2002, 12:32 PM
I mixed some pretty good protein bars here in my double wide.

Peanut Butter (red. fat) 1/2 cup
or 8 tbsp.

Honey 6 tbsp.

Water 1/4 cup

throw these three items in a bowl and warm in microwave for approx. 90 secs. or more.

Add 1 serving of whey protein (mine is EAS 28gms/serving) and mix. Add another serv. and mix. Add one more serv. and mix. Total 3 servings.

Add 1 HEAPING scoop (28gm EAS scoop) of dried, nonfat milk and mix. Add one more heaing scoop and mix THOROUGHLY.

If too moist, add dry milk or whey. If too dry, add very little water until its right. Caution- it may seem to dry but make sure you mix and mix and mix until you KNOW its too dry. Better to err on the dry side than the moist side.

I poured (if you can call it that) this mixture into 2 mini-bread pans, coated generously with pam, (approx. 2x5(?)) and left in fridge for a couple hrs. Cut into 8 pieces.

It's a little too gooey, especially if you try to get them from fridge too early, but taste very good. Oatmeal would probably give it a better consistency.

Based on what the ingredients cost me (EAS Whey 12oz. $8.97), it costs approx. .55 per bar. I eat approx. 20 Balance Bars per week @ .97 each (and that's cheap...thanks Wal-Mart). This could save me nearly $500/yr. It's a pain to mix this up but it's bettter to start off small so you don't risk wasting stuff. As I perfect it i'll mix larger batches.

Each bar (1/8 of mix) has:

Fat 7 gms.
Carb 26 gms.
Pro 14.5 gms

I guess if you want the vit and min. mix you gotta swallow a pill. But if you're eatin 3 a day, your probably o.d.'en anyway.

Heartattaq
08-12-2002, 03:57 PM
Sounds great I will have to try that, By the looks of the protein/carb/fat ratio it may be more of a meal replacement than protein bar, but sounds good just the same. to get some of the vitamins you need what about adding a bit of liquid multivitamin in place of the water?

kakorot56
08-12-2002, 04:40 PM
what about milk instead of water that way you can up the protein i dunno if it will taste the same though what do u think?

kakorot56
08-19-2002, 05:13 PM
well can u switch the water with milk?

Pairunoyd
08-20-2002, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by kakorot56
well can u switch the water with milk?

Of course, you can do whatever you want. I used water because I already had my protein carb and fat count down. i didnt wanna add anything with caloric value and have to refigure the numbers. It seemed too stiff so i wanted to loosen it up a bit. In other words, i had the calories, protein,carbs,fats per bar that i wanted but the mixture was too dry so i kept adding a little water till it seemed right.