PDA

View Full Version : How much Green Tea is too much

Kaddi
06-17-2005, 02:46 PM
I made some natural green tea today (1 gallon to be exact) and before I knew it i had finished the whole gallon today, it is watered down a bit, with no sweetners at all. Pardon my ignorance on Tea I usually just drink a gallon or more of water a day. I'm drying to tighten up my build and have heard of the the positive thermogenic effects of green tea thus my change to drinking it. Sorry for the brevity and generalness (word?) of my post, I'm currently at work.

skinnyboy
06-17-2005, 03:01 PM
1 gallon of green tea seems like a lot of caffeine. Was it decaf green tea or do you have a very high caffeine tolerance?

skinnyboy
06-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Nevermind I did the math:

One 8 ounce serving has 40 mg of caffeine.

1 gallon green tea = 128 ounces = 16 (8 ounce servings) =
640mg (plus you said it was watered down so it is likely to be lower).

Not really as excessive as I thought. (about 2-4 mugs of coffee worth depending on the strength of the green tea).

Kaddi
06-17-2005, 03:12 PM
yah I must have a high caffeine tolerance, (especially considering I haven't had anything caffeinated in about a year and a half). My question now changes, what is a preferred amount of green tea to drink daily to get the most out of its thermogenic effect without kamikazeeing (my own creation of a word) on the caffeine. Like I said I usually drink at least a gallon of water a day to stay hydrated. Thanks again.

skinnyboy
06-17-2005, 04:41 PM
The gallon of dilluted stuff sounds about right to me.

You can also look into getting extracts that are standardized for the active compounds, yet have very little caffeine.

Kaddi
06-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Could anyone suggest any other effective "supplements" that would be good to use in conjunction with green tea to help me diminish subcutanous water for this cutting phase. Thanks I appreciate any and all input.

skinnyboy
06-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Sesathin is good for cutting and is very healthy.

Caffeine and yohimbine are good pre workout (be careful with yohimbine start out with 1/4 dose to access tolerance). I'm not kidding.

rockstarsar
06-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Nevermind I did the math:

One 8 ounce serving has 40 mg of caffeine.

1 gallon green tea = 128 ounces = 16 (8 ounce servings) =
640mg (plus you said it was watered down so it is likely to be lower).

Not really as excessive as I thought. (about 2-4 mugs of coffee worth depending on the strength of the green tea).

Hmm, I thought green tea had more like 15mg of caffeine per serving. But that's just me.

Steve_W
06-18-2005, 06:15 PM
A good idea is to aim for 500mg of EGCG, but that's a ****load of green tea whereas 2-3 green tea extract pills (depending on brand and dosage) will give you that. The caffeine in green tea really isn't anything to worry about but GT extract it so much easier than downing 8 cups or so of GT a day to get the same benefit.

Macros
06-18-2005, 06:43 PM
yah I must have a high caffeine tolerance, (especially considering I haven't had anything caffeinated in about a year and a half). My question now changes, what is a preferred amount of green tea to drink daily to get the most out of its thermogenic effect without kamikazeeing (my own creation of a word) on the caffeine. Like I said I usually drink at least a gallon of water a day to stay hydrated. Thanks again.

The caffeine is partly what causes that thermogenic effect that you're looking for. More caffeine == higher heart rate == more calories burned. Savvy?

xxghostxx
06-18-2005, 08:19 PM
A good idea is to aim for 500mg of EGCG, but that's a ****load of green tea whereas 2-3 green tea extract pills (depending on brand and dosage) will give you that. The caffeine in green tea really isn't anything to worry about but GT extract it so much easier than downing 8 cups or so of GT a day to get the same benefit.

Word. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/prima/lean.html <A very good product. I believe each capsule is the equivalent to about 8 glasses of good green tea in polyphenolic compound/catechin content.

Macros
06-18-2005, 08:45 PM
What are you expecting me to make of it? I said it's *partly*, not *completly* responsible.

edit: this is wierd, the post above mine just dissapeared. If anyone is wondering, I was adressing it.

kendog
06-18-2005, 09:40 PM
I had a question closely related to this. I buy these cheap boxes of green tea bags with 100 in them. Each tea bag says it contains 1.8 grams of "Young green tea leaves". I put 5 bags in a cup and drink it. I usually do about 15 bags a day of it. How much of the beneficial stuff do you think I'm getting out of this compared to extract pills?