PDA

View Full Version : Since abortion is such a hot topic

mom2adiva
06-16-2005, 12:43 PM
What do you think you'd do in this situation? Do you think it would be ethical to let the mother pass along with the baby? Do you think it's wrong to keep her on life support to deliver a baby who may potentially have a whole host of problems?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20050616/ts_usatoday/womankeptaliveinhopesofsavingbaby

LatsMakeTheMan
06-16-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm pro-choice, so I say that you should absolutely perform an abortion if the mother's life is at stake.

MISTERDUDE
06-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Its one of those tought decisions the parents must make. I remember a story in Men's Health where the dad chose to save the life of his wife over the baby in this instance.....sad decision, but some of his reasoning was that the baby could have potentially had serious problems. Plus he and his wife can always make another kid.....I'm sure that played into it too but I don't want to make it out to be the guy just was like "ehh, we can get another one."

Abortion in general is a little different of a beast IMO.....this situation doesn't really force you one way or another like a tougher hypothetical would IMO. maybe thats just me though.

sticklegs
06-16-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm pro-choice, so I say that you should absolutely perform an abortion if the mother's life is at stake.

the mother is brain dead, the only choice here is let them both die, or keep the mother alive long enough that the baby may have a chance.

This is why couples should talk about things like this. I know my girlfriend would want to do anything possible to save her baby so I would grant her wishes.

LatsMakeTheMan
06-16-2005, 12:56 PM
the mother is brain dead, the only choice here is let them both die, or keep the mother alive long enough that the baby may have a chance.

This is why couples should talk about things like this. I know my girlfriend would want to do anything possible to save her baby so I would grant her wishes.

Oh crap, for some reason I didn't even realize there was a link to a story there. I thought it was just a hypothetical question.....let me read it and I'll get back to you.

Edit: After reading the story, I'd say he's doing the right thing. If he wants the baby, and he knows that this is what his wife would want, then that's what he should do.

mom2adiva
06-16-2005, 12:56 PM
My friend had her little girl at 28 weeks, and she has a mild case of CP in addition to just beign 3 mos behind in general and it's so scary to think of what will be worng with this poor little one. I think it would be an easier decision if the baby was 32 weeks or more gestation. I really don't know what I'd do. I think about the 2 year old at home too, what's best for him?

sticklegs
06-16-2005, 01:03 PM
My friend had her little girl at 28 weeks, and she has a mild case of CP in addition to just beign 3 mos behind in general and it's so scary to think of what will be worng with this poor little one. I think it would be an easier decision if the baby was 32 weeks or more gestation. I really don't know what I'd do. I think about the 2 year old at home too, what's best for him?

I also read that they met at a catholic college so I'm pretty sure we know both of their feelings about abortion.

mom2adiva
06-16-2005, 01:12 PM
My question is would it really be an abortion? Babies born at 25 weeks to a healthy mom have about a 50% chance of survival, just surviving, that doesn't mean surviving without long term problems

drewkowsky
06-16-2005, 01:29 PM
just read the story; it is so sad
its bizarre, but I think if thats what she wanted, go for it
whether the child is going to have some difficulties is irrelevant

powerman2000
06-18-2005, 03:13 AM
Do only that, which is honoring to God!