PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with Oils; Do we ingest all we put in the pan?

Khryz
06-16-2005, 07:26 AM
Hey everyone. I have a quick question about cooking with oils. Lately, I've just been putting flaxseed oil on a spoon twice, and basically drinking (1 tbsp right?) it before being chased with some water .. ugh. Anyway .. I bought some Enova DAG oil yesterday since I keep hearing how good it is, and I decided to throw 1 tbsp in my eggs this morning.

Now, my question is .. Did I ingest all that 1 tbsp of Enova oil that I put in the pan before I put in the eggs? Like, did some of it get burnt off during the cooking, or is some of it left on my plate that I ate off of - meaning that I didn't ingest the entire 1 tbsp? I'm just asking because if so then I would want to use a lil bit more than I actually want to ingest to make sure I'm meeting my macros.

Or I could just put it on a spoon again and suck it up .. but that's gross. Lol.

Any help is much appreciated ..

jamieo
06-16-2005, 07:38 AM
Hey everyone. I have a quick question about cooking with oils. Lately, I've just been putting flaxseed oil on a spoon twice, and basically drinking (1 tbsp right?) it before being chased with some water .. ugh. Anyway .. I bought some Enova DAG oil yesterday since I keep hearing how good it is, and I decided to throw 1 tbsp in my eggs this morning.

Now, my question is .. Did I ingest all that 1 tbsp of Enova oil that I put in the pan before I put in the eggs? Like, did some of it get burnt off during the cooking, or is some of it left on my plate that I ate off of - meaning that I didn't ingest the entire 1 tbsp? I'm just asking because if so then I would want to use a lil bit more than I actually want to ingest to make sure I'm meeting my macros.

Or I could just put it on a spoon again and suck it up .. but that's gross. Lol.

Any help is much appreciated ..

No, you did not ingest all of the oil you measured out. Some of it is still stuck to the pan, some to the spoon you measured with, etc. The amount "left over" is pretty much insignificant, however, so do not worry too much about it. You can add a little more, but you have no idea how much more to add :)

This is slightly off-topic for your message, but it is sort of relevant:
The information on all nutritional labels is based on averages and carefully-measured samples taken in a laboratory. However, there is no guarantee that the food you are eating has the exact nutrient content that is displayed on the label. There's a high probability, but no guarantee.
I think that the variability is higher in more "unprocessed" foods, such as meat and raw vegetables.

smckdwn989
06-16-2005, 07:39 AM
when I do my nutrition logs and put an entry in for oil i don't account for any evaporation of the oils. Although I am sure this occurs, imo its so minimal that its not even worth worrying about. if you want you could put a bit more than a tablespoon to make sure your getting at least the amount you need...

Khryz
06-16-2005, 08:12 AM
Alright sounds good. Thanks for your help!