PDA

View Full Version : Subway & 5-6 meals a day??

ProteinDawg
06-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Hey everyone, I got a few questions for ya...

1. I've been trying to eat well these days, I'm not really bulking, not really cutting, just liftin about 3 days a week and doin cardio (mostly HIIT and jogging) on off days. Are subway sandwiches good lunch choices? I usually get a footlong Chicken bacon ranch, on wheat bread, with lettuce onions bellpeppers jalepenos with cheese. I know the ranch and cheese aren't great for you but overall a little fat is okay, in fact good for u right?

2. So i'm trying to have more small meals, like 5-6 per day. What exactly makes up a small meal though? Would a can of tuna be considered a small meal? How bout just a whey protein drink (25 g protein)? Oatmeal in the morning?

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be eatin a Healthy Choice, eagerly waitin for responses...Spurs in 5

US_Ranger
06-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Subway = bad

Healthy Choice = bad

I hope you're just kidding by making this thread........

ProteinDawg
06-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Haha, no actually I was serious about this thread, but i guess it's good to know that i'm not eating well at all apparently...So how bout the tuna and small meal question? Is it tru that Starkist Chunk Light Tuna has 1/3 the mercury as other tuna brands? I feel like I can have a can of tuna a day, but i'm worried about all this mercury poisening crap.

Before u flame, I realize that this has prolly been covered somewhere on this site already

LiL_JaY
06-14-2005, 11:02 PM
lol 1 can of tuna cant be considered has a meal.. its not porportioned..

a meal is something like
1 can of tuna
1 cup oatmeal
1teaspoon fishoil

VegasBabyVegas
06-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Hey everyone, I got a few questions for ya...

1. I've been trying to eat well these days, I'm not really bulking, not really cutting, just liftin about 3 days a week and doin cardio (mostly HIIT and jogging) on off days. Are subway sandwiches good lunch choices? I usually get a footlong Chicken bacon ranch, on wheat bread, with lettuce onions bellpeppers jalepenos with cheese. I know the ranch and cheese aren't great for you but overall a little fat is okay, in fact good for u right?

2. So i'm trying to have more small meals, like 5-6 per day. What exactly makes up a small meal though? Would a can of tuna be considered a small meal? How bout just a whey protein drink (25 g protein)? Oatmeal in the morning?

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be eatin a Healthy Choice, eagerly waitin for responses...Spurs in 5

alright... first off, you seem like you're not really hardcore into this (with the not specifically cutting or bulking thing). what exactly are you goals? what's your workout plan? it seems to me like general fitness/health is your goal.

That being said, for your goals... healthy choice=not bad, subway=not bad

now, that being said, what you're eating at subway leaves something to be desired. the words "bacon and ranch" aren't really very good for health in general.

But Subway's whole under 6 g of fat menu isn't terrible. Get it on the wrap instead of the bread, load up the veggies, no sauce but yellow mustard, no cheese.

and yeah, a little fat for you is good, but you want that fat to come from meat, nuts, natural peanut butter, and fish/flax oil. healthy stuff.

liljay's meal example is good.

in general I like to make my meals a meat, a complex carb source, and some veggies.

you want a balance of fat, carbs, and protein in your meal.

A few things in general:

this is a really good post for people new to working out:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?threadid=101841

and listen man, most people here are going to give you advice on how to achieve their goals. And most people are try to be nazis to newbies. the healthy choice and subway stuff is fine once in a while. There are actually healthy fast food items (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=6053223#post6053223) that you can eat too.

just don't base your whole diet on it and you'll be fine. most people don't take the time to realize that eating stuff like the healthy choice and subway is a helluva lot better than burgers and fries!

good luck with everything, man. And if you need help on anything, feel free to PM me or post on this thread.

--Mike

melon
06-15-2005, 12:02 AM
lol 1 can of tuna cant be considered has a meal.. its not porportioned..

a meal is something like
1 can of tuna
1 cup oatmeal
1teaspoon fishoil

Don't forget the veggies!

LiL_JaY
06-15-2005, 02:52 AM
Don't forget the veggies!

and a cup of spinach or brocolli/cauliflower or mixxed veggies just for melon's sake ;) haha

MCconditioner
06-15-2005, 05:59 AM
If you get the Subway 12" sub, eat half of it as one meal and the other half about 3 hours later...especially if you are shooting for 5 or 6 meals a day.

Each 1/2 of the sub probably has about 400 calories.

I eat subway every once in a while. Its not ideal but I don't see how it would negatively effect my progress or BF %, if it fits within my daily eating plan.