PDA

View Full Version : Best boxer ever?

light
08-09-2002, 06:51 AM
The what's next for Tyson thread got me thinking. Who does everyone feel is the best BOXER in history. Not who could beat everyone in the sport, but who had the best skills (like a best ever pound for pound). Obviously this is HIGHLY debatable, but it should be fun.

My vote goes to Sugar Ray Leonard

Honorable mention to: Ali (obviously), Sugar Ray Robinson, Marciano, Roy Jones Jr., and Lewis

Mini mention to: Sugar Shane Mosely, Roberto Duran, Holyfield, Tyson, Smokin' Joe (kudos for beating Ali in his prime if nothing else), Vargas, and Hopkins

thugluv
08-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Muhammad Ali

light
08-09-2002, 08:04 AM
Changed my mind. I like Ray Leonard and he deserves to be considered thoroughly (movin' him to honorable mention, next to Ali), but the best pound for pound fighter ever was SUGAR RAY ROBINSON, just his record could be considered enough (174-19-6 109 KOs).

DarkFalcon
08-09-2002, 08:35 AM
Leonard or Ali both were just awesome in their prime.

light
08-09-2002, 08:47 AM
Just found this on a web site. This is some amazing sh*t.

-Sugar Ray's record was 128-1-2 with 84 knockouts at the pinnacle of his career. Amazingly, in over 200 fights, Sugar Ray was never physically knocked out (though he did receive one technical KO). All together, he amassed 109 KOs, and finished with a record of 175-19-6 with two no-decisions. World champion Muhammad Ali called him "the king, the master, my idol."-

I knew he was great but the 128-1-2 at one point in his career is new to me. Just though someone else might like to learn a little trivia.

SpartanHuge
08-09-2002, 10:12 AM
Rocky Marceano(sp.?) undefeated - only person ever to do this,- gotta give my boy props

hiimwayne
08-09-2002, 10:22 AM
definetly rocky marciano. he hit the hardest and was undefeated

light
08-09-2002, 10:53 AM
Yeah, Marciano was great. And he was the only heavyweight to win 49 fights in a row (I believe the only undefeated fighter). However, Robinson won 91 fights in a row as a welterweight. Not that I'm saying Marciano is not a legitemate choice for best ever, just that if you're going by record alone Robinson's 91 is more impressive than Marciano's 49.

It is pretty amazing how short most of Marciano's fights were though. Not too many guys went for very long in the ring with him, he knocked guys out like it was going out of style. I'd say a very good pic (not that it matters really, but I still think it's a good pic :) )

whiteboy
08-09-2002, 11:35 AM
I'd say the most talented pound for pound fighter ever is Roy Jones Jr. , but I don't think he's the best fighter ever.

I don't know how to answer this question, but I really like where Wladimir Klitchko is headed. He could just be another great white hype though.

Blindfaith
08-09-2002, 11:37 AM
roy jones and lennox lewis for sure!

petefox
08-09-2002, 11:43 AM
I usually wear Express Men, and CK boxer briefs.. Wait a minute... :eek:

rottie
08-09-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by petefox
I usually wear Express Men, and CK boxer briefs.. Wait a minute... :eek:

HAHA :)

BeefMaster
08-09-2002, 11:58 AM
Ali hands down! Roy jones jr. is on his way as well.

MartialArtist
08-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Ali and Ray.

Lennox can just go to hell IMO

Juggernaut
08-09-2002, 05:12 PM
The thought that some of you pick Ali over Robinson is hillairous.

Robinson IS the greatest boxer, pound for pound, ever. Simply not debateable.

Ali may not even be the greatest heavyweight ever, you guys seem to all have forgot about a guy named Joe Louis.

D-Termine
08-09-2002, 07:34 PM
ali hands down

not only a great man but an amazing fighter.

by fame, ali. the rumble in the jungle, come on

doging the draft, ali

getting the crowd exited, ali

had a movie made about him, ali

Juggernaut
08-09-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by D-Termine

???? yeah.... cause that constitutes a great boxer

John Benz
08-09-2002, 07:40 PM
I would have a hard time between Marciano and Robinson. Marciano was the inspiration for the "Rocky" flicks, and one of Stallone's personal idols.

Roadie
08-09-2002, 08:13 PM
I would have to go with Clay (Ali) . Even though he was a draft dodger.

whiteboy
08-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Marciano is definitely not the greatest boxer ever.

MartialArtist
08-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by D-Termine
ali hands down

not only a great man but an amazing fighter.

by fame, ali. the rumble in the jungle, come on

doging the draft, ali

Ummm, both Ali and Ray have at least 3 movies each.

MartialArtist
08-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Roadie
I would have to go with Clay (Ali) . Even though he was a draft dodger.
Sigh, do you even know why he dodged the draft? Multiple reasons, one being not wanting to fight for a country that turns its back on you.

jweave23
08-09-2002, 09:45 PM
I have to go with Ali, although Marciano is such a close second to me I can barely decide that.

Juggernaut
08-09-2002, 09:50 PM
I can't believe Marciano and Ali are top vote getters here.
Sugar Ray Robinson is far superior to either of them, FAR.

John Benz
08-09-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by MartialArtist
Sigh, do you even know why he dodged the draft? Multiple reasons, one being not wanting to fight for a country that turns its back on you.
This is no excuse. You live in a country with as many personal freedoms and priveledges as the United States, you are honor bound to protect those freedoms, and to serve when called. You can't choose which war and which cause you feel is just. To do so is being a traitor to the government you serve. I didn't believe in the Vietnam war, but I had my bags packed and had enlisted, was given a 4-F rating at my pre-induction physical, due to a previous asthma condition. I always had respect for Ali the fighter, but none for Ali the man and cowardly draft-dodger. If you refuse to come to the aid of your country, when she calls, you have every right to move to Mexico or somewhere, but to live here, and enjoy the personal freedoms, and then turn your back when called is cowardice, plain and simple. Everyone has ideals, but to put these personal ideals ahead of duty to country is treasonous.

MartialArtist,

I have great respect for your wisdom, but not for your liberal views. Can't believe a great martial artist, with so many profound insights and such great input is a left wing liberal. You're a good man, regardless. Peace

AthleticMachine
08-09-2002, 10:12 PM
In my opinion, any old bare fisted Irish boxer. Those guys were freakin' tough and could take a hell of a licking and keep on ticking.

JollySwagman
08-09-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Juggernaut

you guys seem to all have forgot about a guy named Joe Louis.

BUMP!!!

i think that the guys picking Ali are only doing so cos they don't know any other great boxers

Juggernaut
08-09-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by JollySwagman

BUMP!!!

i think that the guys picking Ali are only doing so cos they don't know any other great boxers

holy ****.... we just agreed about something that has to do with boxing.... whats going on here?

MartialArtist
08-09-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by John Benz

This is no excuse. You live in a country with as many personal freedoms and priveledges as the United States, you are honor bound to protect those freedoms, and to serve when called. You can't choose which war and which cause you feel is just. To do so is being a traitor to the government you serve. I didn't believe in the Vietnam war, but I had my bags packed and had enlisted, was given a 4-F rating at my pre-induction physical, due to a previous asthma condition. I always had respect for Ali the fighter, but none for Ali the man and cowardly draft-dodger. If you refuse to come to the aid of your country, when she calls, you have every right to move to Mexico or somewhere, but to live here, and enjoy the personal freedoms, and then turn your back when called is cowardice, plain and simple. Everyone has ideals, but to put these personal ideals ahead of duty to country is treasonous.

MartialArtist,

I have great respect for your wisdom, but not for your liberal views. Can't believe a great martial artist, with so many profound insights and such great input is a left wing liberal. You're a good man, regardless. Peace
I'm a liberal? Actually, I'm one of the most conservative people here, but the draft was fiddled with so Ali would be chosen. I don't believe Ali is a coward, it took courage to stand up for what he believed in, no matter what people did to him which included stripping him of his title. It takes courage either way. It takes courage to have such ideals for your country. But it took great sacrifice to go on with what he did. His views especially religiously, were greater to him. Call him a draft-dodger if you must, but it was by no means because he was afraid of war. A cowardly draft-dodger would be Clinton.

MartialArtist
08-09-2002, 11:46 PM
I can't believe Marciano and Ali are top vote getters here.
Sugar Ray Robinson is far superior to either of them, FAR.
Problem with dream fights, it can't happen, although Sugar Ray would give Ali a hard time. Both were graceful and like poetry in motion.

But that's "what ifs" - You can make it all up but you will never know, and you will never know how consistent they would be in winning.

You can go on and say name the best boxers in their time of greatness (80's Tyson vs. Ray vs. Ali vs. Marciano) and such, but...

MartialArtist
08-09-2002, 11:47 PM
It is treacherous, yes, but what has the government do to hinder Ali's popularity, what did they try to do, that is the question. I would've have gone, but then again, never have I been drafted in Ali's sense which is quite rare.

BIGPOPPAPUMP
08-10-2002, 12:06 AM
i think lewis is the best ive ever seen fight.

THE LOCUST
08-10-2002, 04:29 AM
Sugar Ray Robinson = Best pound for pound of all time

Roy Jones jr is an excellent boxer but has never been tested. He only fights people he knows he can beat. The reason for this is cos his best mate is Gerald McLelland, and in his own words he does not want to get into a war where he too could suffer terrible injuries, like his friend.

Boxer with the biggest balls = Nigel Benn (former Middleweight champ)

whiteboy
08-10-2002, 08:00 AM
I'd like to see RJJ unify his division or move up.

THE LOCUST
08-10-2002, 08:05 AM
RJJ is moving down to super-middlewieght, 12stone/168lbs after his next fight. He fights Clinton Woods next and is then moving down for a crack at Welshman Joe Calzaghe for his Super-middle belt. For the record Calzaghe will KO him, the Woods fight will be a walkover though.

whiteboy
08-10-2002, 08:43 AM
pshh Calzaghe has nothing on RJJ. If anything RJJ will be faster at the lower weight. Its always more fun to see boxers move up than down though.

whiteboy
08-10-2002, 08:46 AM
I'd also like to see Hopkins move up and fight RJJ, but I doubt RJJ would take the fight even if he did.

Roadie
08-10-2002, 12:01 PM
John Benz, I could not have stated it any better.
Just one more thing though. I wonder if the guy who was drafted next because Ali did'nt want to go ever came back from the war alive? Just something to think about Martialartist.

vittoro j
08-10-2002, 04:47 PM
lennox lewis would have bitchslapped the **** out of ali. he would have murdered marciano, who weighed about 185. lewis is the baddest boxer who ever lived.
roy jones refuses to fight anyone, but he's clearly infinitely skilled.
hearns was fantastic, but he fought dumb fights.
de la hoya is a ***.
sugar ray leonard was a baaad man. tho i hated his guts
hagler was a warrior.
sugar ray robinson? to all you bull****ters who say he was the best, you weren't even born when he fought, so quit yakkin out your asses!!!
trinidad was one of the all time best.
i think jirov can beat jones if he can get him in the ring.
hopkins has a chance as well.
prince hamed is a skilled dumbass.
george foreman would have been an all time great if he hadn't run into ali. i think he would have won a rematch
tyson was the most fun fighter to watch of all time. he filled seats like no other.
the biggest punkass fighters?
gerry cooney
buster douglas
tommy morrisson
others?

MartialArtist
08-10-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by vittoro j
lennox lewis would have bitchslapped the **** out of ali. he would have murdered marciano, who weighed about 185. lewis is the baddest boxer who ever lived.
de la hoya is a ***.
hagler was a warrior.
sugar ray robinson? to all you bull****ters who say he was the best, you weren't even born when he fought, so quit yakkin out your asses!!!
george foreman would have been an all time great if he hadn't run into ali. i think he would have won a rematch
tyson was the most fun fighter to watch of all time. he filled seats like no other.
gerry cooney
buster douglas
tommy morrisson
others?
Lewis is a smart fighter, but 5X cockier than Ali and really can't back it up as well as Ali did. Lennox is the person who holds grudges and gets off his seat at the hint of criticism.

John Benz
08-10-2002, 05:05 PM
Why would you say something this stupid? I met him at a club once here in Cincinnati, and he was truly a well mannered gentleman.

light
08-10-2002, 05:11 PM
I maintain that the best ever was Robinson and that Ali (as GREAT as he was) is often over-rated. Also, to say anyone is cockier than Ali was is ludicrous. The man would stand up and yell that he was the greatest at weigh-ins etc. He was a truly great fighter, I don't think he was the greatest man, but a truly great boxer none the less. However, no one is better pound for pound than robinson. He was the greatest.

Hot Nikkles
08-10-2002, 05:36 PM
Ali and Ray.

martial artist...
were u not the same person who told oldschool to be respectful of fighters??

You are not even on the same level as lennox, and stateing that he can go to hell is not only politically incorrect, but its also being disrespectful to the fighter himself.

Next time maybe you should think about what your gonna say before you say it,

BeefMaster
08-10-2002, 05:55 PM
de la hoya is a ***.
hagler was a warrior.
gerry cooney
buster douglas
tommy morrisson
others?

El cabron, you were kidding about lewis being the baddest boxer who ever lived right?LOL!
RJJ is a buisness man first and he doesnt need to prove anything.
as fars a jirov beating jones, that wouldnt happen if mike tyson climbed in and helped him out. everything else I agree with. Especially about Sugar ray Robinson. Gimme a break! noone here has prolly even seen a full sugar fight.

John Benz
08-10-2002, 05:56 PM
Hot Nikkles,

Maybe you should show a little respect to a man to a man twice your age, who's shoes you could never hope to fill. :(

vittoro j
08-10-2002, 05:57 PM
john benz, you are a dip****. i hated leonard, that isn't a stupid statement. i didn't suck him off in a hotel room like you did, but i'm still entitled to my opinion. and because i don't buy into your mindless drivel, doesn't mean i don't know anything about boxing.

vittoro j
08-10-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by BeefMaster

El cabron, you were kidding about lewis being the baddest boxer who ever lived right?LOL!
RJJ is a buisness man first and he doesnt need to prove anything.
as fars a jirov beating jones, that wouldnt happen if mike tyson climbed in and helped him out. everything else I agree with. Especially about Sugar ray Robinson. Gimme a break! noone here has prolly even seen a full sugar fight.
seriously, tho, i think lewis would have beaten anyone who ever fought. i meant jirov is capable of beating jones, he's badass. i'd like to see that fight. benz, blow me. but don't scrape like you did leonard.

vittoro j
08-10-2002, 06:03 PM

Why would you say something this stupid? I met him at a club once here in Cincinnati, and he was truly a well mannered gentleman.
did he toss your salad?

Big H
08-10-2002, 06:33 PM
Vittero- Knock it off.

vittoro j
08-10-2002, 06:43 PM
hehe, sorry.

vittoro j
08-10-2002, 07:50 PM
h, you focker!!! lmao

Juggernaut
08-10-2002, 08:32 PM
Well.... let me get in my 2 cents here... more like my dollar, cause i post non stop on boxing threads.

I've seen quite a few of Robinsons fights, he's faster than ali, smoother, more powerful, and has more heart. He's legendary because of his wars, the guy is the greatest, undebateable. Could Ali have been the greatest? Possibly. But he missed out on 3 years where he was just hitting his prime. So we'll never know, but had he fought those 3 years it would be a different story.

BigArmedFella
08-10-2002, 11:08 PM
Muhamid Ali hands down.....

-Pace

Hot Nikkles
08-10-2002, 11:46 PM
Hot Nikkles,

Maybe you should show a little respect to a man to a man twice your age, who's shoes you could never hope to fill. :(

its not about age, its about showing respect to lennox lewis,
He is the champion, you dont' have to like him, but he is the best at what he does, and he backs it up everytime.

Martial artist didn't show respect, then why should I show him respect??

hes pretty much hypacrit

vittoro j
08-11-2002, 05:01 AM
benz is a ****head who likes to cry to the mods. he'll be blowing me a 3 o clock behind the shed.

THE LOCUST
08-11-2002, 11:10 AM
Well.... let me get in my 2 cents here... more like my dollar, cause i post non stop on boxing threads.

I've seen quite a few of Robinsons fights, he's faster than ali, smoother, more powerful, and has more heart. He's legendary because of his wars, the guy is the greatest, undebateable. Could Ali have been the greatest? Possibly. But he missed out on 3 years where he was just hitting his prime. So we'll never know, but had he fought those 3 years it would be a different story.

At last someone with a bit of sense, you dont have to be 70 years of age to have watched Sugar Ray Robinson fight. There are videos of him or hasn't that occurred to some of you??

John Benz
08-11-2002, 11:18 AM
vittoro j,

It's obvious to all here that you are an unhappy little boy of about 14, with little self-esteem, and no knowledge whatsoever about boxing. You got beat up on the playground, and got your lunch money taken away, and now you are an angry little boy, who get's on his daddy's computer, and decides to join in an adult discussion. When you are found out, you get even more furious, and your latent homosexuality comes charging out, as all that frustration at being a girl in a boy's body reaches a breaking point. You poor thing, all you can think and dream about is having sex with men. I feel sorry for you, although most here have little sympathy for queers. So, I would keep those fantasies of gay sex to yourself. Let the bros here think you are simply an assclown with an attitude. The alternative is worse. When I was younger, I would have bitch slapped you and humbled you in front of your friends. Now that I am a bit more mature, I realize this as the shrill cry for acceptance coming from a disturbed homosexual, and I just pity you. But please don't tell us you are older than 15, and deny being gay, as you have insulted our intelligence enough for one day, thank you.

BeefMaster
08-11-2002, 11:19 AM
that has occured to some of us sweetie, but people are quick to decisions when they see stats. I respect sugar's accomplishments, but seeing one or two compilation fights on tape shouldnt be one's method for classifying a boxer as the greatest. Didnt sugar have 19 or 20 losses? most of 'em were post prime days , but losses nontheless. Besides, which sugar fight actually impressed anyone?

Juggernaut
08-11-2002, 11:31 AM
14 of Robinsons losses came after he was 36!!! What do you expect? The guy is a true warrior and couldnt walk away.
He NEVER lost to a welterweight in well over 100 fights.
Going into his first fight with LaMotta he was 121-1-2. Was anyone in boxing EVER, i mean EVER anywhere near that? NO!
The guy was beating Joey Maxim, a light heavyweight, and was on his way to winning the title, when he collapsed from heat exhaustion in a boiling New York arena. So you're looking at a natural 150 pounder beating up on guys that were 170.

Top 10 welters that he fought were Kid Gavilan, beat him twice. Carmen Basilio who he won and lost to. Both were split decisions. He beat Jake LaMotta 5 out of 7 times, Jake LaMotta, for those of you that dont know is probably in or around the top 5 welterweights of all time.

He went 5-1 against top 10 welterweights of the CENTURY, as ranked by AP. That's something amazing.

As far as overall best boxer, there's some names that haven't been dropped yet, and im surprised they haven't. Willie Pep, Jack Dempsey, Roberto Duran, Benny Leonard, Harry Greb, and Billy Conn. None of those guys are better than Robinson, but are most defenitly worthy of mention.

Juggernaut
08-11-2002, 11:36 AM
Here's some other guys he defeated that weren't exactly slouches:
Henry Armstrong, Fritzie Zivic, Randy Turpin, Carl "Bobo" Olson, Gene Fullmer, and Rocky Graziano.

He also started a youth foundation (just learned that 3 weeks ago) and worked with kids for about 20 years before he died. So he's as good a person as anyone.

This guy beat like... greats. He beat the best. Some of the best ever, Muhammed Ali did the same, but, were those guys as good, pound for pound as the guys Robinson beat? No. Great fighters, but just a different calibre.

BeefMaster
08-11-2002, 11:37 AM
Your right Jugg, he was a warrior. Just not my pick as the greatest.

Juggernaut
08-11-2002, 11:38 AM
I just want to know why, i mean Ali is an EASY second, but he was simply not as good as Robinson. The guy could box, counter, slug. He moved like a dancer in the ring much like Ali, but did it a)MORE and b)against better competition.

Oldschool
08-11-2002, 12:25 PM
I personnaly think Tyson is the best of all time. maybe he ain't politically correct, EVER! But he still threw the hardest punches of all time.

Hey MartialArtist, were you not just dissin me in the other Posts about not showing respect? And here you are pissing on Lewis the world heavy-weight champion? You should really stop contradicting your belifs.

vittoro j
08-11-2002, 12:53 PM
vittoro j,

It's obvious to all here that you are an unhappy little boy of about 14, with little self-esteem, and no knowledge whatsoever about boxing. You got beat up on the playground, and got your lunch money taken away, and now you are an angry little boy, who get's on his daddy's computer, and decides to join in an adult discussion. When you are found out, you get even more furious, and your latent homosexuality comes charging out, as all that frustration at being a girl in a boy's body reaches a breaking point. You poor thing, all you can think and dream about is having sex with men. I feel sorry for you, although most here have little sympathy for queers. So, I would keep those fantasies of gay sex to yourself. Let the bros here think you are simply an assclown with an attitude. The alternative is worse. When I was younger, I would have bitch slapped you and humbled you in front of your friends. Now that I am a bit more mature, I realize this as the shrill cry for acceptance coming from a disturbed homosexual, and I just pity you. But please don't tell us you are older than 15, and deny being gay, as you have insulted our intelligence enough for one day, thank you.

hehe, yeah, i'm 14, that's gonna make it all the more embarrassing for you when i assphuk you in front of your mama. your long winded bull**** is wasted on me, pal. i expect you to be punctual for the salad tossing you owe me. and quit practising your technique on your dog, people are startin to talk, biiiatch.

Lats McGee
08-11-2002, 06:53 PM
It's awfully hard to say who the best fighter of all time is, but I have a few picks,

Sugar Ray Robinson, Roy Jones Jr., Marvin Hagler, Muhammed Ali

MartialArtist
08-11-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Oldschool
I personnaly think Tyson is the best of all time. maybe he ain't politically correct, EVER! But he still threw the hardest punches of all time.

Hey MartialArtist, were you not just dissin me in the other Posts about not showing respect? And here you are pissing on Lewis the world heavy-weight champion? You should really stop contradicting your belifs.
I don't like Lewis. I think he's a great boxer in this era, but there's a difference between being tolerant and being disrespectful. You are the type who stereotypes groups. I'm not stereotyping a group, I don't like Lewis as a person, plain and simple.

I don't think you have gotten that either so do grow up

Oldschool
08-11-2002, 07:49 PM
Ali and Ray.

Yup there's something a mature person would say about a world-champion.

Lats McGee
08-11-2002, 08:28 PM
I would like to add Julio Cesar Chavez, a great champion in his prime.

THE LOCUST
08-11-2002, 08:53 PM
I agree

BeefMaster
08-11-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Lats McGee
I would like to add Julio Cesar Chavez, a great champion in his prime.

Yeah i like the way chavez got folded inside out by "the surgeon"

Lats McGee
08-11-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by BeefMaster

Yeah i like the way chavez got folded inside out by "the surgeon"

lol, yeah Frankie beat him, but like I said in his prime. He and Pryor may have been untouchable at that weight in their primes.

John Benz
08-11-2002, 09:29 PM
I saw Pryor fight years ago. He was like the energizer bunny. Had every bit as much energy in the last rounds as in the first. Incredible to watch.

MiscPwnsYou
05-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Rocky Marciano

Al_Pal
05-30-2008, 09:49 AM
lol @ anyone who says marciano... gtfo!