PDA

View Full Version : Oats?!

barrymelrose
10-09-2007, 04:55 PM
I have never eaten Oats before.....cereal and bread yes....but Oats in all honesty I have no idea what they are!

I want my diet to be in check and I have read that OATS ARE LOW GI Carbs -so I wanted to ask.....what should I look for in the store. With Breads and Cereals ..there are a million different types, many of which are really bad for you.

So in short.....can someone please point me in the direction of what it is I look for in the grocery store (in terms of Oats) Also...when and how often do I consume Oats?

A lot of you are probably going to laugh after reading this thread...but hey thought id ask!

Thanks in advance,
Barry

SDC77
10-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Oats are medium GI. What you are looking for is plain, unsweetened oats. Look for the Quaker Man on a canister, not in single packages in a box. Eat them as often as your macros allow.

Sweeten with Splenda/Stevia and cinnamon.

Kanji4488
10-09-2007, 05:23 PM
they can be microwaved or cooked on the stove. the directions are on the package. you can sweeten them or mix them in a protein shake. eat them in the morning with a few eggs and some cinimon and your golden
btw, whenever someone says 1/2 cup of oats this is a dry mesure equivilent to 1 cup cooked

AgreeWitMe
10-09-2007, 05:56 PM
how much oats do ppl eat in the morning? I find myself eating a cup with a cup of skim milk and im still hungry

YEAWELIFT
10-09-2007, 05:57 PM
I eat quaker, and just throw them into your shakes. Much easier to get them down that way for me!

The Solution
10-09-2007, 06:29 PM
how much oats do ppl eat in the morning? I find myself eating a cup with a cup of skim milk and im still hungry

cook in the microwave to make em thick and toss in some fruit on top of that along with condiemnts like cinnamon/cocoa for tastea n splenda to sweeten

have a whey shake on the side...

u need some more protein if thats all ur having for berakfast

Spottydog
10-09-2007, 06:40 PM
u need some more protein if thats all ur having for berakfast
There's a reason egg whites and oatmeal is a staple of many.
Heck, keep a few yolks if you're bulking.

The Solution
10-09-2007, 06:41 PM

i perfer a whey shake :) just my 2 cents.. but cant go wrong with egg whites and oatmeal.. i know ppl cook them 2gether.. would love to know how.. would def try to give it a shot

AgreeWitMe
10-09-2007, 06:43 PM
do i just put the milk and oats together (in a bowl) in the microwave?

MrSinister
10-09-2007, 06:44 PM
oats are a bb'ing fad :p

SDC77
10-09-2007, 06:45 PM

lol why not eat the yolks when cutting? If it fits in your calories it doesn't matter.

The Solution
10-09-2007, 06:57 PM
do i just put the milk and oats together (in a bowl) in the microwave?

yes of course thats how u cook them

most people perfer to cook the oats with water ( which i would advice)

how about saving ur milk and having a whey shake on the side with milk.. and cook the oats with water

add fruit to ur oats after they are done in the microwave and add cinnamon or cocoa powder for taste

thats what i would do

but you can cook with milk in the microwave.. i just perfer water.. my 2 cents

for thick oats keep an even ration of oats and liquid for runnier oats use more milk

jr.mac
10-09-2007, 07:07 PM
The thing with oats is if you cook them it makes it alot harder to eat and you will feel more bloated. I just eat it raw in cottage cheese or put it in a protein shake. This way I can eat alot more oats rather than if I cooked it.

CodyRo
10-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I usually make my oats with just water (1/2c or 1cup depending on day) and mix with some whey.

I like to have the milk plain on the side.. and occasionally I'll have a side of cottage cheese or plain yogurt depending on how hungry I am that day :).