PDA

View Full Version : Eggy chocolatey things

Eileen
10-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Don't know what to call these, but I've just made four batches and been ordered to make more, so here goes.

Separate one egg, whisk the white till fluffy.

Put 2 heaped teaspoons (about 10g) of cocoa powder, sweetener and a very small amount of water or cold coffee in with the egg yolk, stir till smooth. Add only enough liquid to make a smooth paste.

Fold in the egg white, then pour into around four muffin mounds.

Bake in a pre-heated oven for around 6-8 minutes or microwave for around 60 seconds on high.

At the moment, the votes are running 50/50 for baking or nuking.

Use the best cocoa powder you can find. If you are in Europe, check out the cocoa powder in Aldi, it's lovely. If your cocoa is a bit bland, add some coffee to improve the taste.

user98511001541
10-09-2007, 11:53 PM
that sounds delicious!

Eileen
10-10-2007, 03:41 PM
I think I'll go and make some for my supper.

Eileen
10-12-2007, 06:03 PM
I was hoping to change the title to Chocolate souffle, which sounds so much better. Though I think Eggy Chocolatey things is probably the best description for the microwave version.

Oh, I should mention, if your egg is small, use less cocoa.

Eileen
11-02-2007, 09:06 PM
If you don't have a problem with raw eggs (I use organic, so I'm happy), then split the mixture up into a three or four containers and freeze, and you've got chocolate icecream,

PennState
11-10-2007, 05:36 PM
amazing. I just doubled the recipe for a nice late night snack. I melted some unsweetened baker's chocolate as i didn't have any cocoa. It seemed to work well, but I ended up nuking it for too long. Still good, next time i'll adjust and it will be better for sure.

Eileen
11-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Buy some cocoa. It's a lot cheaper than the baking chocolate.

PennState
11-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I just used the baking chocolate b/c my girlfriend had some extra left over after making a chocolate mousse. Cocoa is on the shopping list for this week, as well as some more artificial sweetener.

thickmasss
11-12-2007, 10:21 AM
I just used the baking chocolate b/c my girlfriend had some extra left over after making a chocolate mousse. Cocoa is on the shopping list for this week, as well as some more artificial sweetener.

I'd recommend something like Stevia instead of an artificial sweetener .. (Stevia = natural sweetener)

tal1990
10-16-2008, 01:27 PM
sorry for bumping, but instead of baking, can i freeze it to get nice results?

randyrock
10-16-2008, 04:18 PM
sorry for bumping, but instead of baking, can i freeze it to get nice results?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=92724523&postcount=5

:p

Eileen
10-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Yes, I do this a lot.

thickmasss
10-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Anyone got a picture of these? :D

Eileen
10-17-2008, 05:02 PM
The frozen ones look like chocolate ice-cream, taste a bit less creamy.

The baked version looks a bit like this http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOCOLATE-SOUFFLE-106173, the microwave version is much flatter.

tal1990
10-17-2008, 07:10 PM
i have tried the frozen ones, they came out awsome, but from 2 whites and 2 tea spoons cocoa ive got only 2 and half cups.. maybe not enought water?
how much water u put @ mixture? :S

Eileen
10-18-2008, 02:22 PM
You may have smaller eggs than I do. Irish eggs tend to average 100 calories, so they probably have more egg white too.

Just make a smooth paste with the cocoa and coffee, not too runny, and fold into the egg white. If you add too much liquid, it will freeze solid and you'll risk your teeth on it.

tal1990
10-18-2008, 02:41 PM
so for 4 cups, lets say should i use 3 egg whites?
and about the paste, how ml water should i use at avg?
btw. please look the pm :)

Eileen
10-18-2008, 02:45 PM
I'd just make up your mixture, and then see how many cups it makes.

I don't measure the coffee/water. just use the amount you'd use if you were making cocoa, enough to mix the cocoa powder to a pastes.

tal1990
10-18-2008, 02:55 PM
thanxs, when i made it, it came out awsome after i freeze it, but its really light, also, when i mixed the cocoa and coffee with water alot of the powder sticked to the bottom of glass, probobly i used to little water i guess..

Eileen
10-18-2008, 05:31 PM
If you have some, try mixing the cocoa powder with coffee. Sounds disgusting, but it gives the cocoa a deeper, more chocolately flavour. Use enough coffee to make all the cooca wet, and to make a smooth paste that you could pour very slowly.

tal1990
10-19-2008, 03:57 AM
so let me understand, ill put little watter and then pour cocoa and coffe and sweetner, and then fold to whites, right?

Eileen
10-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Yes, make your brown paste, add it to the stiffly whisked egg whites, and fold through until it is brown all over.

schnide
10-19-2008, 11:48 AM
So basically, because the other contents are so negligible, you only really need to take notice of the eggs in your ratios?

I might have to make some of these!

Eileen
10-19-2008, 12:41 PM
The eggs, and maybe the cooca powder. It's still a very small amount.

tal1990
10-19-2008, 02:42 PM
wow, i out it from the freezer now, its so awsome, i used tea spoon coffe, two tea spoons cocoa, 3 egg whites and sweetner and i divided to 4 cups, wow its so delicious, but its easy melted @ mouse hh :D

schnide
10-25-2008, 04:07 AM
Maybe I made these wrong, but I made them twice and they just came out like a squidgy mess, and didn't agree with my stomach. My girlfriend did the same, and got the same results. Back to the drawing board!

Eileen
10-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Make sure you whisk the whites until they are really stiff and fluffy. And don't make the cocoa mixture too runny.

startrek
10-25-2008, 01:00 PM
We live in middle America, and my wife just informed me that our cocoa powder is from...Aldi! So we've got it made.

Eileen
10-25-2008, 02:19 PM
We live in middle America, and my wife just informed me that our cocoa powder is from...Aldi! So we've got it made.

I really like their cocoa powder, think it tastes stronger than most of the rest.

startrek
10-28-2008, 08:51 PM
All right, my daughter and I tried to make these tonight. I declare this first attempt a failure, but with promise.

INGREDIENTS: We used 4 eggs, 8 heaping teaspoons of cocoa, a dab of cold coffee, and 6 packets of Splenda. We also added a quarter-teaspoon of cream of tartar to the egg whites to help them stiffen when beaten. Instead of muffin tins, we used a well-buttered 4-inch-by-8-inch baking tin.

PROCEDURE: First of all, I didn't realize how hard it would be to whip egg whites by hand with a whisk. I don't need to do arm exercises anymore; all I have to do is beat egg whites, and I'll have arms like Arnold. Next time I'm using a mixer. Also, it took a very long time, and eventually we added the cream of tartar to get the whites to stiffen. Cheating, I know, but it helped. Not so for the flavor, though (see below).

Once the whites were fluffy and stiff, folding in the yolk-cocoa-Splenda-coffee mixture was easy. I was a little worried at how high the baking tin was filled; I expected it to puff up in the oven and overflow the tin, but it didn't. We baked it for 8 minutes at 350F and found that it was still wet in the middle, so we put it back for another 6 minutes at 400F, and that was enough.

RESULTS: The texture was super-light and moist, but not at all wet. When I cut it and scooped out a slice, it held together well, like a very good souffle. The texture was impressive. However, the butter on the walls of the baking tin has moistened the outside of the souffle and formed a thin, dense, slimy "crust" with the texture of a booger.

The flavor...well, the cream of tartar ruined it. It tasted as though it had a cup of lemon juice in it. (For those who don't bake, cream of tartar is potassium bitartrate, an acidic white powder.) Needless to say, this does not at all complement cocoa.

Beyond the tartness, it seemed to be not quite sweet enough and not quite chocolaty enough. Next time we make it, we shall make the following modifications:

- wax paper instead of butter in the tin
- no cream of tartar in the egg whites
- beat the whites by machine instead of by hand
- about 25% more cocoa and Splenda
- bake for 12 minutes at 400F

We intend to try again Wednesday night.

sblandrus
11-17-2008, 01:58 PM
I tried this recipe, and I didn't use the cream of tartar...the consistency turned out decently....however, when multiplied by 4 (4 eggs, 8 tbsp of cocoa) I think the cocoa ratio is off, or maybe it is quality of cocoa...I used hershey's just because that is what I had available. My question is...will it ruin the consistency if the cocoa is reduced?? Imo, the amount of cocoa suggested makes it taste very tart and unpleasant (which cocoa has the tendency of doing when too much is used)...so what if I reduced it to like 4-6 tbsp to 4 eggs??? I guess I could try it, but I wanted to know if anyone else has experimented with this...also, when I was counting the macros, there are 2g of net carbs per tbsp of cocoa powder, making the ratios of carb-to-fat-to-protein off for keto, so i am either not getting enough protein/fat, or adequate p/f and too many carbs for a meal...anyhow...just giving (and looking for) some feedback

p.s. I made some homemade whipped cream (1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1/2 cup splenda, dash of vanilla) which was REALLY good on these (despite the overpowering cocoa flavor)...it yielded about 2 cups once whipped, and the macros for that are 3g/c-44g/f-2g/p....which would kind of help with the fat imbalance of this recipe, but not with protein...

Eileen
11-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Try it and see. I generally just do seat-of-my-pants with this, the exact proportions are not that important, as long as it stays fairly fluffy.

The only thing is, 8 egg whites will whisk up HUGE. Do you have a big enough bowl?

sblandrus
11-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Yes I have a big enough bowl, lol! And I went ahead and tried it, and 1/2'd the cocoa, and it turned out much better...the consistency was a LITTLE different, but definitely better than the overpowering cocoa!!!

trevman
11-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Don't know what to call these, but I've just made four batches and been ordered to make more, so here goes.

Separate one egg, whisk the white till fluffy.

Put 2 heaped teaspoons (about 10g) of cocoa powder, sweetener and a very small amount of water or cold coffee in with the egg yolk, stir till smooth. Add only enough liquid to make a smooth paste.

Fold in the egg white, then pour into around four muffin mounds.

Bake in a pre-heated oven for around 6-8 minutes or microwave for around 60 seconds on high.

At the moment, the votes are running 50/50 for baking or nuking.

Use the best cocoa powder you can find. If you are in Europe, check out the cocoa powder in Aldi, it's lovely. If your cocoa is a bit bland, add some coffee to improve the taste.

The frozen ones look like chocolate ice-cream, taste a bit less creamy.

The baked version looks a bit like this http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOCOLATE-SOUFFLE-106173, the microwave version is much flatter.

a similar recipie i found for mousse http://www.cookinfrance.com/chocolate%20mousse.html