PDA

View Full Version : Does toasting WW bread alter the nutritional value?

redhatyellow
10-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Just wondering because sometimes I like to toast my bread for sandwiches, but if it's not as healthy then I won't.

lorinelise
10-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Nope. Nutritionals are the same :)

The Solution
10-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Nope. Nutritionals are the same :)

x2 i like to toast my bread also if i ever have it ( which is maybe a few times a year)

but no it doesnt alter it at all.. if u burn the hell out of it tho .. thats a different story

IronAbrams
10-08-2007, 12:29 PM
There was a study featured in M&F (reliable source i know lol) that showed that the GI of white bread was lowered by about 25% by toasting. I would imagine WW bread would be similar.

The Solution
10-08-2007, 12:31 PM
There was a study featured in M&F (reliable source i know lol) that showed that the GI of white bread was lowered by about 25% by toasting. I would imagine WW bread would be similar.

i find that weird to believe because if u toast something at hight temp wouldnt u be burning off the nutrients that are composed in the bread.. so woulndt that higher the GI if anything?? instead of lowering it

Div.II
10-08-2007, 12:58 PM
I've heard from a few bodybuilders that toasting bread makes it more
healthy than not. The difference that I noticed with toasting whole wheat was that I did not notice any swelling in my stomach.
Any bread besides HEMP or Ezekiel makes my stomach swell after eating it.

DFA
10-08-2007, 01:05 PM
i was told the body digests toast way easier and better...I havnt searched for proof myself tho. But I make all my sandwiches with toast for work cus they dont go soggy for lunch time!

Div.II
10-08-2007, 01:23 PM
i was told the body digests toast way easier and better...I havnt searched for proof myself tho. But I make all my sandwiches with toast for work cus they dont go soggy for lunch time!

I heard that too. That untoasted bread forms like a sort of plaster paris around what ever protein you may eat and it doesn't digest well.

lorinelise
10-08-2007, 01:53 PM
I heard that too. That untoasted bread forms like a sort of plaster paris around what ever protein you may eat and it doesn't digest well.

Awesome visual.

in10city
10-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Yup...

European Journal of Clinical Nutrition - The impact of freezing and toasting on the glycaemic response of white bread (http://intl.emboj.org/ejcn/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/1602746a.html)
"Conclusions: All three procedures investigated, freezing and defrosting, toasting from fresh and toasting following freezing and defrosting, favourably altered the glucose response of the breads. This is the first study known to the authors to show reductions in glycaemic response as a result of changes in storage conditions and the preparation of white bread before consumption. "

EFFECT OF TOASTING ON THE NUTRITIVE VALUE OF BREAD (http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1977.tb14500.x?journalCode=jfds)
"The nutritive value of bread was significantly reduced by toasting. Rat-feeding tests showed that the feed conversion ratio, calculated from weight gain and feed intake, was increased, while the protein efficiency ratio of bread was reduced significantly with toasting and with degree toasted. The changes correlated with browning intensities of toasted bread slices. So far as the nutritive value of bread is concerned, toasting, particularly to darkening, is not recommended."

redhatyellow
10-08-2007, 02:42 PM
i find that weird to believe because if u toast something at hight temp wouldnt u be burning off the nutrients that are composed in the bread.. so woulndt that higher the GI if anything?? instead of lowering it

why dont you eat more bread? i eat Ezekiel bread which is basically brown rice and wheat and other heathly carbs. it's awesome.

Div.II
10-09-2007, 10:08 AM
why dont you eat more bread? i eat Ezekiel bread which is basically brown rice and wheat and other heathly carbs. it's awesome.

I agree. Hemp I think is a step better than Ezekiel.