PDA

View Full Version : Protein in non-protein sources?

masterPE
06-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Do you count the protein from sources such as beans, potatos, cereal, oats, etc. into my daily protein total? I know they aren't as good as meat, dairy, eggs, and whey powder, but should they be considered into my daily protein and calorie totals?

BackInTheJox
06-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Yes.

For some odd reason, lots of people on here will say "no", which is ridiculous. If it contains calories, and you ingest it, COUNT IT.

Your body doesn't just not process incomplete proteins, and YES, incomplete proteins do contribute to muscle protein synthesis, regardless of what many neophytes on here would incorrectly lead you to believe. Taking several incomplete protein sources at a time (say, beans and rice) generally form a complete protein anyway.

So, in conclusion, count them.

masterPE
06-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks, man. I probably take in about 20-30g protein a day from these type of sources, and I haven't counted them in ever. I will start tomorrow.

wiglaf
06-03-2005, 12:11 AM
they have a low protein profile.so when u eat such foods try to add some higher profiles protein in order to have the 22 amino acids

BackInTheJox
06-03-2005, 07:30 AM
they have a low protein profile.so when u eat such foods try to add some higher profiles protein in order to have the 22 amino acids

That's known as "supplemenation", when you ingest complete protein sources at the same time as incomplete sources. When you combine more than one incomplete protein source together, that is known as "complementation", also creating a complete amino profile.

rockstarsar
06-03-2005, 08:58 AM
And what BackInTheJox just described happens in your body without you realizing the exact moments it's going on, so don't worry about it. Your body is very smart and if it receives some food lacking some particular amino acids, it's not just going to dump it out to waste. It will hold on to the food until another food comes along with the amino acids necessary for protein synthesis (side note: By protein synthesis I don't only mean muscle protein, I mean enzymes and other protein structures).

masterPE
06-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Thanks everyone.