PDA

View Full Version : Moousaka

Eileen
10-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Fry some sliced aubergine in olive oil. You don't need to sprinkle with salt or sweat first, ordinary aubergines are not that tough.

Cook some ground lamb, spring onion, mushrooms, a small amount of tomato, and lots of medeterrean herbs in a frying pan.

Layer the aubergine and the lamb in an ovenproof dish. Top with a mixture of whisked egg, cream and grated cheese. Either bake in a medium oven for 20 minutes or brown under the grill till the top is golden brown and crisp.

jacqdav
11-01-2007, 10:01 AM
oooh I'll have to try this one when I come off my velocity diet. I looooove mousaka!

Minotaur
11-01-2007, 11:36 AM
I was thinking of making a dish much like Eileen's. It sounds great. :) I love moussaka, but traditionally it has a layer of potatoes on the bottom and a layer of bechamel sauce on top. Of course we'd do without the potatoes. And traditional bechamel sauce has flour in it, so that's right out.

Eileen
11-01-2007, 02:33 PM
That mixture of beaten egg, cream and grated cheese works very well. Even if I wasn't doing keto, that's what I put on top of my moussaka.

chimponarope
11-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Made this last night.

Couple of things I'll do next time:

Definitely needs some onion in there, didn't add any this time.
Use a little tomato puree rather than fresh tomatoes.
Add more salt, the aubergine definitely needs salting after cooking (I did wonder though if you could make chips (fries) out of them!)
I'll use less egg in the cream, the topping kinda of went a little scrambled egg.
Use a few more herbs than I did.

Got a photo to put up at some point of it.

always_eating
11-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks for this one I loooooove mousaka!