PDA

View Full Version : Portion Control

Gymmy11
05-29-2005, 08:59 AM
I have just started to try to eat healthy, and scrap the surface of some sort of excersing, (Its really hard!). I just graduated and decided that I wanted to get rid of all the baby fat that i had carried around for all of high school.

Ive lately been hearing about portion control, and different ways to measure the right size portion... but I dont know which one is right.

just how small should a meal be for me, or should i use the technique that trainers use about the hand.

Can anyone help me, Im so confused!

-- Chris

P.S. Thanks!

Macros
05-29-2005, 09:59 AM
First of all you want to determine your total caloric intake per day to maintain your weight...Write down what you eat for a week in a journal, add up the calories and find out the average that you eat each day. That will be your maintinence level calories.

Next, to lose weight you will want to subtract 500 from that total, which will allow you to lose 1 lb a week, which is a good rate. Divide the resulting number into 5-6 equal meals per day and that will be how many calories you should consume at each meal....

Those calories should come from complex carbohydrates (oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat bread, etc.), lean meats and other protein sources (chicken, turkey, extra lean beef, tuna, salmon, halibut, cod, etc.), and good fats (natural peanut butter, nuts, avacadoes...).