PDA

View Full Version : Carb Loading and Weight Training

keninottawa
05-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey all!

I used to be involved in endurance sports, and I have been weight training for several years, but bodybuilding is a relatively recent hobby of mine.

In endurance sports, the concept of a 'carbohydrate load' phase prior to a competition is very popular. The basic premise is that an excess of glycogen can be tapped by the muscles during particularly demanding phases of physical exertion.

I was wondering what your opinions are on the role of carbohydrate loading in weight training. When going into a particularly taxing phase of a lifting cycle, would it not make sense to increase the availability of muscular glycogen to power your workouts? I personally feel as though a nice big meal of pasta and meat the evening prior to a hard workout can make a big difference.

Let me know your thoughts!

prior22
05-23-2005, 01:34 PM
it really depends on whether your cutting or bulking. this is actually a good question. I`d like to hear what others have to say on the topic

melon
05-24-2005, 01:39 AM
I don't really see it as necessary. Just have a solid Pre-workout meal and make sure your calories are high enough throughout the day.

Max Protein
05-24-2005, 06:40 AM
Actually what you ate yesterday has a direct result on today's performance. Eating plenty of carbs the day before gives you a great energy boost for your workout.
When I was cutting, I was on around 200g of carbs a day. This was just enough to fuel a day's activities, along with a cardio or intense weights for about 40 minutes. In the gym I was tired and sluggish by all my final sets.
But then I had a leg day coming up the next day, so I decided to increase carbs to 400g, in the form of oats, rice and pasta. I did all the exercises I had planned and more. I did 9 sets for hamstrings for Christ's sake! I definitely recommend upping carbs the day before a tough workout, particularly one in which you are planning on heavy compound exercises.

keninottawa
05-24-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm currently trying to gain weight, so the extra carbohydrates don't bother me.

Tonight's dinner: homemade protein buckwheat berry pancakes!