PDA

View Full Version : Fludrocortisone, does it help?

Rubberarm9862
05-14-2005, 05:57 PM
I take fludrocortisone for health reasons and I was told by someone that it helps weight training. Does anyone know this is true or not.

(fludrocortisone is a synthetic steroid that helps retain more water and salt in your body)

PowerSwede
05-14-2005, 06:20 PM
I take fludrocortisone for health reasons and I was told by someone that it helps weight training. Does anyone know this is true or not.

(fludrocortisone is a synthetic steroid that helps retain more water and salt in your body)

No, glucocorticoids have the opposite effect, they promote catabolism (muscle breakdown), even though fludrocortisone is primarily a mineralcorticoid it has high glucocorticoid activity and one of the side effects of glucocorticoid treatment is muscle atrophy.

85_305
05-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Sum-beotch do you know your stuff swede!!!!

Rubberarm9862
05-15-2005, 03:15 PM
What can i use to counteract the catabolic activity

PowerSwede
05-15-2005, 03:25 PM
What can i use to counteract the catabolic activity

You can't do it directly without interfering with the effects of the medication.

Keep your protein intake high (unfortunantly another side effect of glucocorticoids is fat gain) supplement with high dosages of antioxidants like vitamin C (6g/day), NAC and ALA. Use creatine, you'll have great results from that when you're on a mineralcorticoid.