PDA

View Full Version : Hows this for a meal? Need some other help.

NickRac
05-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Well I threw it together real quick, I'm an 18 year old high school grad going into college next year and I'm trying hard to come up with fun, good and easy meals that I can make myelf so I don't need to depend on crappy, fatty school food all the time - this is what I came up with today...

3 boneless grilled Chicken breasts w/ light terryaki sauce
1.5 cups of edamame (soybeans) lightly salted
.75 liters of water
Fresh Florida Orange for dessert

TOTALS*
780 Calories
36 grams of fat, 9 of which are saturdated.
30 grams of carbs
87 grams of protein

*Without dessert included

Also is a picture attached

I'm not looking to cut or lose weight, rather I am looking to gain lean muscle mass to push my weight and size up, does anyone have any similiar meals in simplicity and health that I could look into - remember, they have to be simple so I can throw them together in between classes.

Nick

DrTacoElf
05-08-2005, 11:41 AM
looks great, where does all that fat come from by the way (soybeans?).

NickRac
05-08-2005, 11:44 AM
looks great, where does all that fat come from by the way (soybeans?).

15 grams is from the soybeans, the rest is from the chicken (the terryaki sauce most likely, just plain grilled chicken doesnt cut it for me).

The Doc
05-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Teriyaki sauce
Calories 28 ( Kilojoules 117 )

% Daily
Value*
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 540 mg 23%
Total Carbohydrates 7 g 2%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 0 g

NickRac
05-08-2005, 11:51 AM
guess not then :x

unclejesse
05-08-2005, 02:52 PM
thats a ****load of protein for only one meal. How much do you weigh?

Cynical_Simian
05-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Your daily food intake should be spread out over 6-8 meals of approximately equal size. Even allowing for some variation in meal sizes, you'd have to be taking in at least 5000 calories a day for a 1000-calorie meal (counting the orange) to be a reasonable inclusion. Also, your meal has quite a bit of saturated fat and sodium, in addition to unnecessary sugar from the teriyaki sauce. And I'm not sure what this "dessert" business is all about; fruit can be a part of your diet, but some veggies would be a better option. Read some nutrition articles and look at people's diets on these forums to get an idea of what/when you should be eating.

dp13368
05-08-2005, 03:06 PM
As someone else said I would watch out for your teriyaki sauce and the added sugar. Also, and maybe more importantly, watch out for the HFCS(High Fructose Corn Syrup) which it most likely has in it. Just search the forum and make your own sauce/marinade.

NickRac
05-08-2005, 03:25 PM
As someone else said I would watch out for your teriyaki sauce and the added sugar. Also, and maybe more importantly, watch out for the HFCS(High Fructose Corn Syrup) which it most likely has in it. Just search the forum and make your own sauce/marinade.

Sounds good, I'll get on that

2Small
05-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Your daily food intake should be spread out over 6-8 meals of approximately equal size. Even allowing for some variation in meal sizes, you'd have to be taking in at least 5000 calories a day for a 1000-calorie meal (counting the orange) to be a reasonable inclusion. Also, your meal has quite a bit of saturated fat and sodium, in addition to unnecessary sugar from the teriyaki sauce. And I'm not sure what this "dessert" business is all about; fruit can be a part of your diet, but some veggies would be a better option. Read some nutrition articles and look at people's diets on these forums to get an idea of what/when you should be eating.
Totally agree. You body cannot absorb that ammount of protein at once, spread it out over 2 sittings.