PDA

View Full Version : smoking and bodybuilding

SaintPatty
05-06-2005, 06:36 AM
Hey everyone..

I was curious about those of you who smoke, how smoking effects your training, how you feel, why you continue to, how long you've been smoking and how much, etc. I have recently had a hellacious last couple of months and turned into my own worst enemy by smoking occasionally. I am determined to get back on track immediately and feel horrible about myself. I have certainly felt the effects in the gym and just wanted some input from those who smoke or those that don't but have something to say about it. Obviously, 'don't ever ever do it' is the best advice, but after about two month at a pack a week or so, how do you think I have affected myself, and how long will it take to get back up to par? Any and all input appreciated. Thanks!

Koncept
05-06-2005, 08:59 AM
as a past smoker I can tell you, smoking has declined my ability not only in endurance lifting, but in cardio sports as well. Mainly, agility in basketball. And I can also say I have never reached the goals I wanted when I smoked, just not possible?

Bertz
05-06-2005, 12:28 PM
As a past smoker I can tell you too that you might not think they hurt your gains but they do. I ran every morning for 45 min and smoked and it was a struggle, I just don't see the point, I do still smoke sometimes when I am drinking but thats about it. Since I have quit I feel better and I don't get so tired in the gym or on my morning runs are alot easier. Just don't do it. I wish we would tax them like canada, but it is still funny how many people smoke in canada when they are $72 a carton ( thats what My gf dad pays ).

Man, I_m Big
05-06-2005, 12:33 PM
72 a carton, hahaha. ****in' smokers here in Canada get me going. He's probably on "disability" too. I have one cigarette a week, usually with my one drink on a Friday or Saturday, other than that it just isn't worth it.

corple
05-06-2005, 12:35 PM
i smoked marijuana just about everyday from like mid summer of 7th grade all the way about 10th grade. i dont think i ever hindered my stamina when i was playing basketball. i went everday a full 40-50 minutes (playing the game 21, if you know what that is. constantly jumping-oh and yes my ups were awesome). i stopped smoking a few months ago, and my stamina is actually seems lower...iuno.

Man, I_m Big
05-06-2005, 12:42 PM
i smoked marijuana just about everyday from like mid summer of 7th grade all the way about 10th grade. i dont think i ever hindered my stamina when i was playing basketball. i went everday a full 40-50 minutes (playing the game 21, if you know what that is. constantly jumping-oh and yes my ups were awesome). i stopped smoking a few months ago, and my stamina is actually seems lower...iuno.

Weed? That's a different story. I burn an Oz a week with just my room mate, there's no time to even stop and think about negative side effects. If you're doing it, you're doing it.

corple
05-06-2005, 12:43 PM
lol thats about right. i dont smoke the **** everday anymore though.

Bertz
05-06-2005, 01:37 PM
no actually he is retired but last I hear he quit, I don't know if he stuck with it. All of my friends smoke but 1, seriously so its hard for me not to bumb one when I am out drinking with them. I can definetly tell I had a cig the next morning in the shower, hacking up crap and thats just one cig.

Mike_In_MD
05-06-2005, 03:33 PM
(Warning sarcasim ahead) Smoking has given me great gains ...after smoking for over 20 years I built down my lung capacity enough so I didn't need to do cardio. Having to do cardio to get my heart rate up was unecessary. Therefore its a great way to cut!

Seriously smoking is very addictive and will ruin your health, but you already heard this a million times. It is true that I smoked over 20 years, not because of love for smoking, but because it is very addictive. The addiction is the biggest threat. Quit now before you stop asking these questions. I quit smoking 4 years ago after a dozen unsuccessful attempts, and have been bodybuilding for just over a year. Eating healthy, working out, and taking care of myself is my new religion.