PDA

View Full Version : Flaxseed and wheat germ

Lovespell
09-21-2007, 08:03 AM
I add 2 TBSP to my steel cut Irish oats(1/4 cup) and toss in berries or a banana for breakfast. Do I need to add a protein source when Flaxseed and wheat germ have some protein in it? Should I make it with milk for more? I really despise egg whites, and, well oatmeal. So I try to eat one or the other. Both at the same time feels like torture for me. Any suggestions or am I okay with my first meal of the day?

pecan
09-21-2007, 08:13 AM
you don't need to. the protein suggestion has resulted from studies showing that higher protein intake reduces hunger/caloric intake.

personally, i'd say add some soy milk to your oatmeal. it has a slightly sweet taste and 60 cal per 8oz. oatmeal without it just doesn't taste as good imo.

Lovespell
09-21-2007, 08:14 AM
you don't need to. the protein suggestion has resulted from studies showing that higher protein intake reduces hunger/caloric intake.

personally, i'd say add some soy milk to your oatmeal. it has a slightly sweet taste and 60 cal per 8oz. oatmeal without it just doesn't taste as good imo.

ah alright cool! i really could barely stomach it until i added some banana cut up, so at this point, ill try anything!

in10city
09-21-2007, 08:31 AM
I add 2 TBSP to my steel cut Irish oats(1/4 cup) and toss in berries or a banana for breakfast. Do I need to add a protein source when Flaxseed and wheat germ have some protein in it? Should I make it with milk for more? I really despise egg whites, and, well oatmeal. So I try to eat one or the other. Both at the same time feels like torture for me. Any suggestions or am I okay with my first meal of the day?
You probably should add a complete protein source to your meal - otherwise it's bascially a carb & fat meal ...

While I don't eat oatmeal anymore, I used to mix a flavored protein powder into the oatmeal after cooking ... Or you could have a protein drink on the side ...

Lovespell
09-21-2007, 08:43 AM
You probably should add a complete protein source to your meal - otherwise it's bascially a carb & fat meal ...

While I don't eat oatmeal anymore, I used to mix a flavored protein powder into the oatmeal after cooking ... Or you could have a protein drink on the side ...

that is a good idea, thank you. what flavor protein powder do you recommend to blend with oats?

mean vegan_old
09-21-2007, 08:49 AM

Flaxseed is also a source of omega 3 which is another good reason to have it. I usually drink ground flaxseed as tea and sweeten it with xylitol or stevia (low calories) or agave nectar (low GI).

So I'm just learning about nutrition as it relates to bodybuilding...so don't understand why you need a complete protein since our bodies store protein. Can't you just eat something else later on that day/week to complete the protein?

Oh and someone else mentioned soy milk. Also try almond milk it is a complete protein, has less calories than soy milk and is usually cheaper than soy milk too. Or you can easily make the almond milk at home which is dirt cheap.

in10city
09-21-2007, 09:05 AM
that is a good idea, thank you. what flavor protein powder do you recommend to blend with oats?
Well... I've used every flavor from Strawberry, Tropical Fruit, and Vanilla to Chocolate and Chocolate Peanut Butter ...

If your tastes aren't as adventurous, a fruit flavor would be good ...

pecan
09-21-2007, 09:29 AM
So I'm just learning about nutrition as it relates to bodybuilding...so don't understand why you need a complete protein since our bodies store protein. Can't you just eat something else later on that day/week to complete the protein?

it will forever be debated.

one blog on the subject (http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/09/the-great-protein-myth/)