PDA

View Full Version : When Sleep is not an option...

Houser
05-02-2005, 05:53 AM
Hello All,

A quick question regarding food & sleep...or the lack of sleep.

I work nights, and thus, I some times go 1 to 2 days a week with a 24 hour stint w/o sleep. I work a desk job so its not metabolically demanding.

My question is, what do i do about food intake on these days? If I know that I am going to be up for 24 hours, do i just space out my 2200 cals over meals throughout that 24 hour peroid? Or do i just stop eating during the time that I would normally be asleep? Do I continue eating every 3 hours like I would normally do?

I relalize that you burn more calories while awake, but I am overweight as it is and I don't want to start gaining weight, nor do I want to starve myself and lose the muscle gains I have worked so hard to achieve.

Just looking for some opinions/suggestions, any thoughts would be appreciated.

SkeletoR
05-02-2005, 06:28 AM
i thought you burn more calories during your sleep than working behind a desk.
but on-topic uhm i would eat some casein protein during that time like cottage cheese, and some carbs with a low Glucose Index, some whole grean bread or something.
but no fat !

my 0.02 cents !
good luck ! btw can't you sleep before your shift ? or ain't it like that ?

good luck!

4amWorkouts
05-02-2005, 06:39 AM
I would continue to eat as normal...

Houser
05-02-2005, 10:38 PM
My work schedule is Mon-Fri 00:00 to 08:00.

My normal sleep schedule is 10:00 to 17:00

Its not every day that I can't get sleep before my shift, its just hard to force myself to sleep on Sundays before i go into work on Monday @ 00:00 and try to sleep when I get done with work on Friday @ 08:00 AM.

I tend to get hungry after 4 hours if I don't eat, and im just worried that if i continue to eat like I do during the day, I will go over my 2200 calores, and thus, start gaining weight.

If i continue to eat as normal, wouldn't i start to go over my caloric needs? Or are you specifing that I should just spread my calorie intake so that its 2200 for the whole 24 hours?

THanks for the replies!!

TheSlash
05-03-2005, 06:36 AM
In all honesty, sleep and nutrition are the 2 most important factors in your life, with Sleep ranking a bit higher.

If you can't commit yourself to sleeping, I would stop and take a look at just how "bad" you want this.

My suggestion is to make time for sleep. However you have to do it. Your worrying about your nutrition because you aren't sleeping, however if you just slept, your nutrition would be forced into a normal mode, and would benefit you more then anything.

Sleep>Nutrition>freetime

Good luck man, I hope you find a way

GiveMeAdvice
04-30-2012, 09:05 AM
I would like to revisit this thread.

I also work late at nights. The human body just won't go to sleep for 7 to 8 hours straight in the daytime. Would it be recommended to get that amount in 2 spurts? I try to sleep after work (9AM) and usually the body will wake up within 4 hours. I try to get another 4 somewhere in the day but the body just wakes up on its own.

I would like to build mass. I eat every 3 hours about 650 calories.

The other issue is when I sleep in the daytime....or want additional sleep, it has to be shortly after a meal.

WonderPug
04-30-2012, 09:08 AM

I also work late at nights. The human body just won't go to sleep for 7 to 8 hours straight in the daytime. Would it be recommended to get that amount in 2 spurts? I try to sleep after work (9AM) and usually the body will wake up within 4 hours. I try to get another 4 somewhere in the day but the body just wakes up on its own.

The other issue is when I sleep in the daytime....or want additional sleep, it has to be shortly after a meal.Epic bump and epic nonsense.

Jmhager
04-30-2012, 09:11 AM
just a thought but if you work a desk job i would recommend purchasing a physio ball and using it as your desk chair. It keeps your core activated and will actually burn calories. In regards to the food delimma, i suggest cottage cheese, casein shake, or some nuts (fats are slowly digested)... Also keep track of your total calories to spread them out evenly at your maintenance level. Eat regularly, if you do not eat, your body and metabolism will crash.

WonderPug
04-30-2012, 09:14 AM
In regards to the food delimma, i suggest cottage cheese, casein shake, or some nuts (fats are slowly digested)... Also keep track of your total calories to spread them out evenly at your maintenance level. Eat regularly, if you do not eat, your body and metabolism will crash.Utter crap.

GiveMeAdvice
04-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Actually, my job I'm constantly moving. Always on my feet. UPS job.

PBateman2
04-30-2012, 09:30 AM

The other issue is when I sleep in the daytime....or want additional sleep, it has to be shortly after a meal.

No. You can condition your body to sleep during the day. It doesnt know time.

If you want to sleep in cycles..look up "bi-phasic sleep". Google.