PDA

View Full Version : littlejohn's log

littlejohn
09-19-2007, 06:05 AM
Well, I'm back.
I joined Anytime Fitness at the end of August. This is my fourth week in. My stats as of right now:
262lbs
5'-11"
24.4% BF
This puts me at 63.4 lbs fat, 196.6 lbs lean.
I've gained four pounds since I actually started. I began at 258lbs. This gain has been muscle, as I didn't look at all like this picture four weeks ago. My arms looked fattier and my double chin was bigger.
I gain muscle rather easily, but it's quite difficult for me to lose fat. I'm hitting the gym three days a week. Half hour is cardio and the next 30-45 minutes is heavy weight lifting. I haven't started eating completely clean yet, I'm still trying to wean myself off of the foods I'm used to eating.
My goal is to make 230lbs and 20% body fat by December 31st. Wish me luck!
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/500/100_0902.jpg

littlejohn
09-20-2007, 04:40 AM
Last night:
1/2 hour treadmill, incline 1, 3mph
45 mins weights
Bumped up my weights last night.
incline leg press - my body weight (262) plus 190lbs = 452lbs. I was previously doing 435lbs, started at 400lbs four weeks ago.
hammer curls - bumped from 25 to 30lbs
tricep extension where you hold the dumbell over your head and lower it behind your head (can't remember the name)- still using 35lbs, but bumped from 2 sets of 10 to 3 sets
seated cable rows - bumped from 75lbs to 90lbs
Quit using the bicep machine and decided to use hammer curls from now on, same with the tricep machine. Decided to use the over your head dumbell lifts from now on.
shoulder shrugs - bumped from 30 to 35lbs
Started using whey protein last night, had a shake when I got home from the gym. Kept me fairly full, so I had a dozen shrimp with cocktail sauce for dinner. Had another one this morning before leaving for work. The plan as of right now is to replace at least one meal a day with a shake.

littlejohn
09-21-2007, 03:12 PM
I found this body fat tester (http://www.rustyiron.net/formmale.htm)online today at work and decided to use it when I got home this afternoon. It has you pinch 3 ares with the calipers.
Verdict= 25.4% body fat!
The directions that came with the calipers say just to pinch one area, the supricilliac. It puts me at 24.2%.
I'm going to test again in the morning after I wake up. I want to see what the day's water intake does to it.

littlejohn
09-22-2007, 06:22 AM
Just woke up and did my body fat measurement and tape measurements.
I'm at 23.7%! I guess water really does make a difference. Last night I was 25.4% as I stated in the post above.
My waist went down and my chest went up a little but my shoulders went up a lot! This is great because when I look at myself in the mirror, I definitely look bigger in the shoulders. At least I know now that it's not my mind playing tricks on me.

littlejohn
09-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Had a great workout tonight. I decided to do the "hill" setting on the treadmill at 3mph. Felt really good. Next time I'll go for 30 minutes as opposed to the 20 I did tonight. Feet are holding out fine so far.
Bumped up a few weights 5lbs, nothing major. Just trying to keep myself as close to failure on the 10th rep as I can get.
Hammer curls - This is my third day using 30lb dumbells. I did 3 sets of 10 again. I can see lots more muscle moving in my upper arms when I lift the dumbells.

littlejohn
09-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Still at 262lbs, but dropped to 23.5% bodyfat as of this morning.
Gym went as normal. Upped my cable rowns to 100lbs. Adjusted my routine on the hammer curls. First set was 25lbs, second set was 30lbs.

littlejohn
09-28-2007, 12:38 PM
According to my latest stats, I'm at 200.5lbs of lean mass. This is at 262lbs and 23.5% bodyfat.
My previous plan was to start cutting at 200lbs but I'm having so much luck bulking up and I'm not gaining any more weight while reducing my bodyfat percentage.
I'm going to forego my original plan and wait until I reach 210lbs of lean mass and decide from there. If I am still on the track I'm on (lowering BF% while maintaining weight), I'll more than likely try to see how high I can go with my lean mass before I start gaining weight again. At that point, I plan to start cutting.
I don't know if it will work that way but hey, you never know till you try, right?

Sky22
09-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Keep up the good work!

littlejohn
09-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks!
I never thought anyone would repond. :)

littlejohn
09-30-2007, 08:51 AM
The calipers put me at 20.7% this morning. I think I can attribute the 3% difference over four days to the fact that I simply wasn't hydrating myself enough yesterday. I spent all day finishing up the tile work in my kitchen.
On that note, I slipped and landed on my right knee again. This morning at the gym I could only get in one set of leg extensions. That's all the leg exercises I did today. My knee was hurting like hell after that one set.
I did just upper body today, adding in 3 sets of back extensions. I also managed 20 minutes on the treadmill again as a warmup. My knee didn't hurt during that...weird.
So yeah. This morning I'm back down to 260lbs and now at 20.7% bodyfat!

chrischap01
09-30-2007, 09:03 AM
good job so far!

30 min seems like a long warmup, why not do a little less up front and tack on some more intense cardio after your lifting when your glycogen stores are depleted? think it would slow down your bulking too much?

littlejohn
09-30-2007, 04:59 PM
I was actually thinking of doing that. Might as well give it a try.
BTW, 20 mins, not 30. :)

chrischap01
09-30-2007, 05:16 PM
yeah, I saw 20 min in your last post and 30 in an earlier post. Wasn't sure which was your normal amount...

I have had good results with doing intense cardio after lifting. Not sure of the science behind it, but my fat loss seems to go faster and I have not noticed any muscle loss or anything when I do it. But, as you said you are gaining a good amount of muscle and may not want to mess with that too much if adding muscle is one of your goals.

littlejohn
10-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Thirty to forty-five minutes if I'm doing my 3mph, no incline setting and twenty minutes if I'm doing the "hill" setting at 3mph.

littlejohn
10-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Haven't been to the gym since Sunday. Tiling my kitchen completely screwed up my schedule, as I usually go on Saturday. I skipped Monday and yesterday to grout the tile. Today puts me back on schedule.
Don't want to do that again, made me feel like crap.
Knee is still hurting when I get up or sit down. Not doing any leg exercises at all again tonight. Feels like a knife stabbing me under my kneecap.

On a side note, I'm never making a protein shake with water again. I took one sip, opened the car door, and dumped it. I don't see how anyone could possibly like it.

littlejohn
10-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Major reppage tonight. I did 5 sets of 10 on the back extension at 150lbs. Also did a total of 6 sets of 10 reps on the cable pulldown for my triceps. Managed to get some leg stuff in as well. There's only one exercise that's making my knee hurt and I'm going to keep laying off of it until it heals back up. The other ones are fine.
Had a protein shake made with milk tonight after the gym. Still can't believe I used water this morning. I can still taste it.

littlejohn
10-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Tomorrow I'm going to try and fit in two hours of cardio over the course of the day in 20 minute intervals. At least two intervals will be at the gym in the morning.
Family is visiting this weekend so it will be hard to fit in, but I "think" I can get it done. If not, I know I can fit in three sessions for sure.
Sunday I have a club picnic at the park. I'm planning on arriving early so I can hike the 7 miles of trails. I need to get back out on the trail again, more for peace of mind than getting in some cardio.

littlejohn
10-07-2007, 06:34 AM
Body fat is 21.1% this morning. That was before breakfast but after my shower. I've heard that taking a shower can alter the results a little, but I really don't see how. I might take another measurement tomorrow morning to compare.
Off to the gym with me!

littlejohn
10-07-2007, 05:06 PM
The gym was fun today. I did 15 minutes on the treadmill with the hill routine at level 4 at 3mph. That's still only as fast as I can manage with my feet in the condition they're in. I then went and did my normal 45 minute heavy lifting routine, then got back on the treadmill for another 15 minute round.
I forget what they're called. It's the cable pulldown using a rope, you keep your elbows at your sides so as to only work your triceps. I bumped that weight up to 50lbs for 3 sets of 10 today. Everything else stayed the same for now.
Still wondering if that shower really made my body fat percentage jump up .4% like that.

imperialfool
10-07-2007, 08:52 PM
nice progress, you're going to be huge in a few months. Are you getting set to head to tybee in the spring? haha. keep at it!

littlejohn
10-08-2007, 04:59 AM
I still have a nice gut to get rid of, but my goal is to go shirtless at the beach next summer.
According to the last body fat measurement, I'm at 205lbs lean mass. I was going to start cutting at 210lbs, but now I think I'm just going to keep on going.

littlejohn
10-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Maxed out my back entensions tonight. Previously I was doing 5 sets of 10 reps at 150lbs. Tonight I bumped it up to 3 sets at 10 reps at 200lbs, just to the point where I was struggling to get the 8th rep in.
New routine...
15mins cardio
30 mins weights
15mins cardio
15 mins weights

-edit-
Oh, I forgot to add...
I started doing seated preacher curls tonight with 50lbs on the barbell. I did 3 sets of 8 and boy I was struggling to get past rep 6 all three times. I haven't done those in years and used to be able to do 50lbs with ease.

littlejohn
10-10-2007, 05:50 AM
Last night I bumped up my cardio a little more. My feet are doing better, but I still have to take it a step at a time, so to speak.
Treadmill on hill setting, level 4, start at 2.5mph. After one minute, bumped up to 3mph. After 5 minutes, bumped up to 3.2mph. Total of 15 minutes.
After weights, did another 15 minutes same as before except set the treadmill on level 3.
Heart rate was around 120 during first round. Round 2 I never got below 140. According to the chart on the treadmill, 60% max is 123bpm and 80% is somewhere around 155bpm.
Gonna keep bumping the mph up a little bit more week by week until I can comfortably walk at 80% heart rate.

littlejohn
10-12-2007, 04:48 AM
Knee went again last night on the seated leg raise machine. I got through two whole sets but when I started the third set, the pain shot through my leg. As much as I hate to do it, no more leg exercises for a while other than calf raises.
Bumped my lateral something-or-the-others (sitting on the butterfly machine backwards) to 100lbs. I had to struggle to finish the second set of ten. On the third set, I could only do 2 reps before my muscles failed. Trying to decide if I should keep it at 100lbs or back it off to 90.
Took my preacher curls back to 40lbs for the time being. I feel like I need to get used to doing 40lbs for a while before I bump it back to 50.
Back extensions still at 200lbs.
Still sticking with the new routine. I like it.
15mins cardio
30 mins weights
15mins cardio
15 mins weights
This seems to be working great for me.
Taking another body fat reading either tomorrow or Sunday morning.

edit-
Forgot to mention, on the second round of cardio...
First five minutes, 3mph.
Next five minutes, upped .1mph every 60 seconds.
Last five minutes, walked at 3.5mph until the end.
That's officially the fastest I've ever been able to walk on a treadmill.

littlejohn
10-13-2007, 06:49 AM
20.2% this morning. Yahoo!
Still haven't lost any poundage.

-edit-
I stumbled across something rather interesting this afernoon at the gym. For ****s and grins I decided to step on the scale in the bathroom. It's one of those kinds where you have to slide the weights and get the pointer level. Well, I did that and it said I was 258.5lbs with my gym clothes on! I couldn't believe my eyes so I stepped off and slid both weights to zero. The pointer was perfectly level.
This morning my digital bathroom scale said I was 260lbs. When I got home from the gym, I stepped on it again wearing exactly what I was wearing at the gym when I stepped on their scale and it says I'm at 266lbs.
I'm going to get a new battery for the digital scale and see if it corrects the problem or not. I'm thinking I might want to get one of those scales like they have at the gym now. At least with that one I can slide it to zero to double check its accuracy when I'm in doubt.
I'm guessing my gym clothes weigh about 1.5lbs. That's shoes, socks, shorts, shirt, and ipod. If 1.5lbs is correct, then I should theoretically only weigh 257lbs.

littlejohn
10-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Saturday I tried doing squats for the first time in years. I put 90lbs on the Smith machine and did a set of 8. After that I put on 10 more pounds and did another set of 8. My legs are still worn out.
I'm going to do it again tonight and Wednesday at 100lbs. This Saturday I'm going to try to go for 125lbs.
I'm not counting the bar because I have no earthly idea how much it weighs.

littlejohn
10-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Last night I did 3 sets of 8 squats on the smith machine at 100lbs. My..ass...got...kicked. I've got to get used to doing those again.
Back extensions - Bumped to 210lbs on my last set. 200lbs is my limit. My back hurt like hell after bumping to 210, almost had to sit down.
Preacher curls - 3 sets of 10 at 40lbs. I'm getting comfortable with 40 now. Maybe next week I'll bump it up to 45lbs. 50lbs strained me too much. I still want to work my way back up to it.
Cardio - Still doing the new routine, loving it so far. I think I may bump it up to 20 minutes tomorrow because I always feel like I can keep going after the 15 minutes is up.
Seated cable rows - Thinking about bumping the weight up to 110lbs. I've been doing 3 sets of 10 at 100lbs for the past four weeks or so. I can definitely go heavier at this time.

littlejohn
10-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Today:
squats - 3 sets of 8 at 100lbs
back extensions - None. Back was hurting pretty good after squats.
cardio - Went 20 minutes. Same routine as usual, but for the last 5 minutes I bumped it down .1mph every 60 seconds. Didn't do second round after I lifted weights. I think I'll just keep doing the 2 rounds at 15 minutes each.
preacher curls - 3 sets of 10 at 40lbs. Saturday I'm going to bump it up to 45lbs.

littlejohn
10-20-2007, 06:44 AM
I cheated on all three meals yesterday. My measurements and bodyfat percentage are higher today because of it. I'm going to do them all over again tomorrow morning. I'm curious to see how much it all changes once I get this extra water out of me. I feel bloated today.
Going to the gym this afternoon and attending a business fair for local businesses which will require lots and lots of walking around.

littlejohn
10-21-2007, 01:05 PM
squats - Bumped up to 110lbs. Same 3 sets of 8. I got someone to watch me this time and they told me that I was, in fact, going lower than parallel so it turns out I actually have been doing them right the whole time. I just thought that parallel was as far as I was getting.
cable pull-downs - These are the ones where you stand there and pull down the rope keeping your elbows at your sides. Did my normal 3 sets of 10 at 50lbs. Added one more set at 55lbs, then another set at 60lbs. 60lbs for 10 reps is my max now.
Some kid was annoying the **** out of me today. He kept wanting to jump in right in the middle of my sets on everything I was doing.

littlejohn
10-26-2007, 05:04 AM
Tuesday's workout was cut short. I was feeling weak so I only stayed at the gym for an hour. Thought maybe I was just tired but got home and nearly passed out after eating. Went to bed and slept from 7:00-5:00 the next morning. I was sweating pretty heavily all night. Don't know what that was all about.
Last night's workout went great. Got my normal time in and wore my new heart rate monitor watch. Turns out my heart rate stays at about 65% max when I'm weight lifting.

littlejohn
10-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Fantastic workout tonight!
Assisted pull ups / dips: Shaved off a few pounds on the assist. Went from 160lbs to 145lbs. I'm proud of myself for that one.
Declined leg press: Bumped myself up big time. Previously I was doing my bodyweight (260) plus 200lbs for a total of 460lbs. Tonight I did my bodyweight (260) plus 250lbs for a total of 510lbs. I even did all three sets of eight reps. I'm very happy about that one as well.
My handy dandy computer watch said my heart rate was over 65% the whole time I was at the gym and that I burned 1,003 calories total. I was there for an hour and twenty minutes.
That takes care of the Moe's burrito I had for lunch calorie-wise.

-edit
Forgot to mention, the back extensions are doing wonders for me. I have been doing 200lbs for 3 sets of 10 every time I go to the gym. My lower back pain is gone and my posture is improving big time.

littlejohn
10-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Assisted pull ups/dips: Took off 5 more pounds. I'm down to 140 pounds now.
Declined leg press: 250lbs for 3 sets of 8.
Butterfly machine facing out: Bumped to 115lbs from 100lbs.
Butterfly machine facing in: Bumped from 70lbs to 75lbs.

That's it for changes.

Hotmoltenlava
10-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Assisted pull ups/dips: Took off 5 more pounds. I'm down to 140 pounds now.
Declined leg press: 250lbs for 3 sets of 8.
Butterfly machine facing out: Bumped to 115lbs from 100lbs.
Butterfly machine facing in: Bumped from 70lbs to 75lbs.

That's it for changes.

Good progress! Keep it up.

littlejohn
10-31-2007, 05:39 AM
Good progress! Keep it up.
Thanks! I forgot to mention the preacher curls. I bumped them up from 40lbs to 45lbs as well.

littlejohn
11-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Assisted pull ups / chinups: Reduced weight down to 130lbs.

littlejohn
11-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Another 1,000 calories burned tonight. Wish I could do this every night, but if I did I would never wake up. Three days a week will have to suffice.
Poundage is staying the same, body fat percentage is still going down.

littlejohn
11-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Nothing special to report tonight. Bumped my lateral raises up to 80lbs from 75.

littlejohn
02-24-2008, 05:46 AM
Fell off the bandwagon for a few months. Need to get back on. Luckily my body didn't change all that much. I did gain over 2 lbs of lean mass since my last update back in November.