PDA

View Full Version : Bodyfat% vs Looking ripped

meathead320
12-12-2001, 01:08 PM
I have been doing some reading and I found in the book: Modern Ecyclopedia of Bodybuilding by Arnold S.
Acording to that book a lot of Bodyfat measuments are off. The Book claims that larger Bodybuilders look ripped at higher percentages than lighter ones. The reason stated is that surface Bodyfat is not the only fat in the body and that there is a form of fat in the muscles themselves? Acording to the book 7-8% is more realistic for being very ripped for a lighter Bodybuilder, and 12% is more realistic for a heavier one. These measurments are supposed to be the ones taken by the best tests. Some less acurate tests, ie skin fold or neck to wiast have been known to calculate to 3% for larger bodybuilders when infact if this were acurate it means they should be dead? Is any one here familiar with this? What is this intramuscular fat? I had not heard of this until I read Arnold's new book.

Original Poster
12-12-2001, 01:59 PM
Meathead320,

It is funny that you wrote this question today. A friend of mine at work who also bodybuilds and I were having just such a discussion today. I have never read Arnold's book but I agree.
I think that genetics play a huge role in what bodyfat % is needed to look ripped. I think that larger boned, big guys can be and usually are ripped at 10-12% BF, whereas, smaller boned small guys (hardgainers many of them) have to be 10% or less for the really ripped look. I think this intermuscular fat is the reason and that that is controlled mainly by genetics, though can be manipulated by diet and proper training.

I think fat calipers are not real acurate, but can be used as a measurment of success. ie. am I dropping or gaining fat. If one really wants to know their BF%, there are much better methods.

OVER.............

BG21
12-12-2001, 06:50 PM
I quess the only body fat most of us have to contend with is that surface fat on your lower abs and obliques. If I got rid of that, I would look awsome as would most men.

drew
12-13-2001, 03:55 PM
this may relate...
I was reading something on a Gunter Scherlunk (sp?) and hes like what, 6'1", one of the tallest/biggest bodybuilders

anyways, it said that at 36in, his waist is ripped.....guess the larger, more "big boned" you are, the easier you can be ripped yet at a higher bf%

Tim
12-13-2001, 04:48 PM
Actually, for contests, the pros get down to bodyfat percentages that are so low that they are unhealthy, like 3% or 4%. But don't forget all the crap they take to get that ripped look. It's probably impossible to get that way without drugs like clenbuterol, DNP, hexalon, and various diuretics.

meathead320
12-14-2001, 11:25 AM
Thats exactly my point, acording to what I read when the pros cliam 3-4% they are actually 10-12% for the bigger guys, because most of that fat is intramuscular. If they lost more than that they would be shrinking thier muscular volume, and look weaker and less ripped. On a pinch test they might come out at 3-4%, but not on more clinicaly acurate tests. Also at 3% bodyfat that would be about the true fat % of a cadaver (dead guy).

Also Drew to answer your queston, his name is Gunter Schlierkamp. :)

eymen23
08-25-2010, 02:08 PM
My biology teacher who is also a very clever man said this too. At the end of the day the only fat that makes you look fat is at the surface, under the skin. I wish I stored all bodyfat in the muscle haha.

icebergslimjimj
10-08-2010, 12:35 AM
I want to know.
What are some home methods I can get a general ideal of my bf% ?

pr0nstar
10-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Buy your own Calipers?

Look in the mirror.

Once you start to see more definition in the lower abs/hips and more veiny, you're getting lower and lower.
Just look at any fitness model who has 10% or lower, typically they'll be a lot more defined near those regions and the vascular can depend on the person, but you'll at least seen the veins starting to come out in that region when you're lower bf%

Personally, I judge my goal by that, as I'm shooting for a lower bf% and a smaller waistline.

p90mikey
10-08-2010, 07:44 AM
I quess the only body fat most of us have to contend with is that surface fat on your lower abs and obliques. If I got rid of that, I would look awsome as would most men.

This is pretty much exactly where I am at. I probably have a few BF percentage points to drop before I'll look shredded.

2481ryan
10-09-2010, 02:47 AM
This is pretty much exactly where I am at. I probably have a few BF percentage points to drop before I'll look shredded.

You are tiny.