PDA

View Full Version : Body Fat Caliper vs. Body Fat Scale

dexterium
04-25-2005, 05:26 PM
I was on ************* and they had some weight scales on there that used a shock wave to detect the body fat %. In user reviews, they were receiving 1/5 because they said they were like 5% off. One guy said that he was measured by the scale to be about 16.1% and then went to the gym and got about 10% by a caliper.

1) What is more accurate: caliper or scale?

2) I am sure the answer to question #1 depends as quality of scale depends. Thus, what is a quality scale? I am currently looking into a Tanita 680 that costs around 60 US and claims that it is accurate within 0.1% bf increments.

US_Ranger
04-25-2005, 05:30 PM
The scales are complete bull**** man. I bought one that was over 100 bucks and it told me I was 26 percent body fat.

I then read the instructions and it said "not for athletic people"

WTF is that supposed to mean? Needless to say (I said it anyway) I took that **** back to the store for a refund.

If you can, ask around at local gyms for the water test or bod pod test. It's the most accurate and you don't have to **** around with ****ty calipers and scales.

rockstarsar
04-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Both are too variable. The best thing to do is pick whichever one you want, take the number it spits out at you with a grain of salt, and use it to track CHANGES in body fat rather than relying on it for a rock solid, reliable number itself.

cobain67
04-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Both are too variable. The best thing to do is pick whichever one you want, take the number it spits out at you with a grain of salt, and use it to track CHANGES in body fat rather than relying on it for a rock solid, reliable number itself.

big BUMP!

couldn't have said it better... just get an idea of where you are currently with one or the other and see how it goes up or down accordingly to gauge progress.. IMO calipers should be used to measure MM of the abdomen etc. to gauge how 'thick' one is becoming... at least that's what I use. If it goes up too much, i know I need to make some changes somewhere, and vice-versa.. good luck :)

checkyourhead
04-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Caliper measurements tend to differ based on the person doing it. Therefore, I would use a scale to track changes in bf%.