PDA

View Full Version : HFCS vs. Sugar vs. Honey vs. Sugars found in fruits

Sibrek
09-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Is HFCS really much worse?

After about 2 minutes of research I found that HFCS contains either 90% fructose, or around 55/45% fructose, while Honey contains around 45%, and some fruits contain that or more.

So, what is the problem with HFCS? Is there really one? Or is there really any difference between different sugars?

Sean Loveridge
09-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Yes, there is a difference. In fact, fructose is probably the worse for a bb'er. Your liver only has enough enzyme for about 30 grams of fructose to be converted to glucose... After that, more and more of it can be converted to fatty acids. I've read also that its really good for a glycogen depleted liver (again only up to a certain point and would really happen only to an endurance trainer anyways). You're better off eating some fruits as its not all fructose and keeping those foods to the morning or post workout. Even honey is better than HFCS.

-Aaron-
09-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Yes, there is a difference. In fact, fructose is probably the worse for a bb'er. Your liver only has enough enzyme for about 30 grams of fructose to be converted to glucose... After that, more and more of it can be converted to fatty acids. I've read also that its really good for a glycogen depleted liver (again only up to a certain point and would really happen only to an endurance trainer anyways). You're better off eating some fruits as its not all fructose and keeping those foods to the morning or post workout. Even honey is better than HFCS.

Great, another person who thinks fruit will make you fat.

Wonderful.

ZDub212
09-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Great, another person who thinks fruit will make you fat.

Wonderful.

He's not saying that...fructose is found in fruit, but is certainly not the only type of sugar found in fruit. I think you misunderstood him, he advocated honey & fruit > HFCS.

-Aaron-
09-17-2007, 09:00 AM
He's not saying that...fructose is found in fruit, but is certainly not the only type of sugar found in fruit. I think you misunderstood him, he advocated honey & fruit > HFCS.

Yep, I made an error. My mistake.

Sean Loveridge
09-17-2007, 01:24 PM
I defiantly eat fruit. Mainly apples and blueberries though. I love fruit, i just never work it into meals. I believe Randy Cortour eats a ton of fruit as part of the special diet he's on. Huge for health and longevity. You just won't see a BB'rs in season diet including fruit. They just won't have it.

Yep, I made an error. My mistake.

The Solution
09-17-2007, 01:28 PM
I defiantly eat fruit. Mainly apples and blueberries though. I love fruit, i just never work it into meals. I believe Randy Cortour eats a ton of fruit as part of the special diet he's on. Huge for health and longevity. You just won't see a BB'rs in season diet including fruit. They just won't have it.

x2 that.. apples and blueberries everyday.. blueberries pre and and apple in my PWO meal.. got to have the anti-oxidents so beneficial to the body

siamesedream
09-17-2007, 01:32 PM
HFCS, honey, and sugar have near-identical compositions.

skinnyboipgh
09-17-2007, 01:39 PM
The modest amount of natural sugars u get in fruit are all good b/c they r associated w/ the micronutrients & fiber, not 2 mention the delicious flavor of fruit.

High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a sweet-tasting man-made chemical cocktail that is the height of refined sugar & the principal sweetener used in non-diet commercial soft drinks.

Like alcohol & other refined sugars, HCFS is generally held in low regard b/c it provides only "empty" calories. That just means it provides no nutritional benefit except elevating blood glucose.

Consuming large amounts of refined sugars is associated w/ increased risk of tooth decay & chronic medical problems such as diabetes. USDA recommends no more than 8% of total calories be refined sugars. IMO it should be as close 2 zero as u can get.

Sibrek
09-17-2007, 02:14 PM

o rly? i was trying to say that in the protein bar forum, when one of the reps negged me. LOL, strong crazies

siamesedream
09-17-2007, 02:22 PM
o rly? i was trying to say that in the protein bar forum, when one of the reps negged me. LOL, strong crazies

HFCS has two main formulations which are used in industry, one which is 55% fructose and the other which is 42% fructose, with the rest being glucose. Sucrose(table sugar) is 50/50 glucose/fructose, while honey is composed of about the exact same ratio as the HFCS with a 55/45 fructose/glucose ratio.

getgot211
09-17-2007, 02:30 PM

bro, there's different kinds of fructose bro, and different kinds of glucose bro. bro, you wanna make sure you're eating clean glucose bro, none of that dirty HFCS stuff bro. do you know where it has been bro?

hosler83
09-17-2007, 03:06 PM
whoa whoa whoa.....so your saying honey is bad for you? I have been putting honey in my pwo mean everyday and I didn't know this ****. I always have (1cup oats,handful blueberrys,large banana,cinnamon,1scoop whey) after my workout...Would it be best to drop the honey?

Spottydog
09-17-2007, 03:08 PM
whoa whoa whoa.....so your saying honey is bad for you? I have been putting honey in my pwo mean everyday and I didn't know this ****. I always have (1cup oats,handful blueberrys,large banana,cinnamon,1scoop whey) after my workout...Would it be best to drop the honey?

Can't be worse than dextrose, can it?

hosler83
09-17-2007, 03:10 PM
I aint eating dextrose though. I was just eating it for some taste..probably aroun 1 tbsp.I guess I'll drop it. Damn

Sibrek
09-17-2007, 03:10 PM
HFCS has two main formulations which are used in industry, one which is 55% fructose and the other which is 42% fructose, with the rest being glucose. Sucrose(table sugar) is 50/50 glucose/fructose, while honey is composed of about the exact same ratio as the HFCS with a 55/45 fructose/glucose ratio.

Lol, wikipedia claims theres a 90/10 version...but i wasn't sure how common that was

getgot211
09-17-2007, 03:34 PM
I aint eating dextrose though. I was just eating it for some taste..probably aroun 1 tbsp.I guess I'll drop it. Damn

good lord.

JustLost
09-17-2007, 04:55 PM
bro, there's different kinds of fructose bro, and different kinds of glucose bro. bro, you wanna make sure you're eating clean glucose bro, none of that dirty HFCS stuff bro. do you know where it has been bro?

"You must spread some reputation around..."

Strong cleanness, bro.

(didn't remember repping you before, but whatever).

Oddball8945
09-17-2007, 05:20 PM

strong use of the word bro

G0LD3NRuL3
10-02-2007, 11:58 AM
For someone who doesn't care about gaining fat, or skinny dudes, I'm assuming it doesn't hurt to eat fructose/HFCS other than the fact that they don't give you much energy to burn.