PDA

View Full Version : **The Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread***

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14

thegenerel
01-31-2012, 08:48 AM
I've got a feeling I'll dislike any hire...until I see the result. I'm not a big "change" person...especially since we are changing something that was successful.

ok, I shall pose this question to you, why was the Arians offense successful? 10th in PYPG, 14th in RYPG, 21st in PPG, 12th in Total YPG, 29th (-13) in Turnover differential (I realize this is an O/D functioN). really not impressive with an Elite QB, a good (sometimes great) RB, 2 Pro Bowl WR, a Pro Bowl TE, a HoF WR...

Haley used many of the same formations/units that the Steelers ran w/ Arians

kethnaab
01-31-2012, 09:26 AM
I've got a feeling I'll dislike any hire...until I see the result. I'm not a big "change" person...especially since we are changing something that was successful.

the offense wasn't successful and Arians has grossly stuned Ben's growth since he took over despite adding substantial talent at the skill positions.

lemme throw a little pile of numericals your way

Ben 2007 - 3154 yards, 65.3%, 32 TDs, 11 picks, 104.1 PR
Eli 2007 - 3336 yards, 56.1%, 23 TDs, 20 picks, 73.9 PR

Ben 2011 - 4077 yards, 63.2%, 21 TDs, 14 picks, 90.1 PR
Eli 2011 - 4933 yards, 61.0%, 29 TDs, 16 picks, 92.9 PR

The difference in their development is astonishing. Eli, straight up sucked for his first several years in the NFL. Ben was a beast. 2007 is Arians' first season as coach. Eli has shot through the roof and Ben has stagnated and in some ways, has regressed.

Here, pick Ben out of this crowd:

26 TDs, 18 picks
22 TDs, 14 picks
21 TDs, 12 picks
20 TDs, 13 picks
21 TDs, 14 picks
20 TDs, 13 picks
21 TDs, 14 picks

One would hope it would be easy to pick Ben out of that crowd, considerirng the crowd consists of:

Mark Sanchez
a platoon of rookie Jake Locker and Matt hasselbeck
Joe Flacco
a platoon of Chad Henne and Matt Moore
rookie Andy Dalton
a platoon of Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow

and that's not even including fumbles lost. Rookie Blaine Gabbert had 8 lost fumbles to lead the NFL. Ben had 7.

Take a look at the offense under Arians and the # of points scored. We scored 393 in Arians' first season, and it was all downhill after that. We scored 325 points this season. With Jay Cutler missing almost half the season and Matt Forte missing 1/4 of the season, the Bears, Caleb Hanie, Josh McNown and their leading receiver Johnnie Knox outscored us by almost 30 points this season.

That's Arians' offense.

In his 2 separate stints as an offensive coordinator (8 seasons total), he has placed better than 10th in points scored on one occasion (9th, in 2007). He's been 20 or worse 4 times, and was 19th on a 5th season.

So in 8 seasons as an OC, his offense has been 19th or worse 5 of those 8 seasons.

Our points scored during Ben's first 4 seasons:

355 (buick headbutt season)

Our points scored during Ben's last 4 seasons (Arians the whole time):

The last time we scored 325 (or worse) was 2003, before we had Ben.

Let that one sink in.

FormulaLT1poweR
01-31-2012, 01:14 PM
All I'm saying is under him we've been to 2 Super Bowls, with one victory (in a 5 year span).

Am I giving him all the credit...absolutely not. Something to think about...sure.

Keep in mind, SOME (in reality a major portion) of the problem is the patchwork OL. Sure as Steelers fans we like to think Ben is his best under distress, or he holds onto the ball...but imagine what he could do with time, and an effective ground game???

Take that list of QBs, and show me their OL and Sacks Allowed?

You can't effectively run the football, when you do not have an OL. What happens, then...you become one dimensional, which makes it easier for QB pressure and to take away players (mainly Wallace).

Life will go on without him, and honestly I'm glad he's gone, but let's not throw him under the bridge like he's a piece of trash. Maybe part of the reason Eli grew-up, was he did something effective during the offseason rather than get into trouble...and allegedly rape women. Don't blame it all on Arians...

thegenerel
01-31-2012, 01:21 PM
All I'm saying is under him we've been to 2 Super Bowls, with one victory (in a 5 year span).

Am I giving him all the credit...absolutely not. Something to think about...sure.

Keep in mind, SOME (in reality a major portion) of the problem is the patchwork OL. Sure as Steelers fans we like to think Ben is his best under distress, or he holds onto the ball...but imagine what he could do with time, and an effective ground game???

Take that list of QBs, and show me their OL and Sacks Allowed?

You can't effectively run the football, when you do not have an OL. What happens, then...you become one dimensional, which makes it easier for QB pressure and to take away players (mainly Wallace).

Life will go on without him, and honestly I'm glad he's gone, but let's not throw him under the bridge like he's a piece of trash. Maybe part of the reason Eli grew-up, was he did something effective during the offseason rather than get into trouble...and allegedly rape women. Don't blame it all on Arians...

dude, Arians was the one who put in the quarters for the generic condom in that bathroom

FormulaLT1poweR
01-31-2012, 02:52 PM
dude, Arians was the one who put in the quarters for the generic condom in that bathroom

Exactly, so at least thank him there is no lil Ben running around. Could you imagine more distractions for that guy?!

thegenerel
01-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Exactly, so at least thank him there is no lil Ben running around. Could you imagine more distractions for that guy?!

I never put 2+2 together until recently, but I went to college (a fairly small one, 1200 students) with Mrs Ben's brother. Ben's brother in law married a hotter girl than Ben did.

kethnaab
01-31-2012, 04:30 PM

same with Chris Kemoeatu.

Maybe part of the reason Eli grew-up, was he did something effective during the offseason rather than get into trouble...and allegedly rape women. Don't blame it all on Arians...

yep, no arguments there.

I never put 2+2 together until recently, but I went to college (a fairly small one, 1200 students) with Mrs Ben's brother. Ben's brother in law married a hotter girl than Ben did.

so did I, and I'm ass-ugly as well as broke. :)

FormulaLT1poweR
02-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Packers promoted QBs coach Tom Clements to offensive coordinator.
Coach Mike McCarthy called it an "obvious decision" to promote Clements after Joe Philbin took the Dolphins job. Clements developed Aaron Rodgers and has coordinator experience going back to 2004-05 with the Bills. McCarthy will continue to be the primary play-caller in Green Bay. A native of western Pennsylvania, Clements was also believed to be on the Steelers' radar.

- Way to go Pittsburgh on going after Todd Haley instead of Tom Clements. Way to piss that one right down your leg...

kethnaab
02-03-2012, 09:50 AM
i don't think it was a choice on our part. he wsa still under contract from the Packers, so we can't just talk to him, we need to receive permission

thegenerel
02-03-2012, 09:56 AM
i don't think it was a choice on our part. he wsa still under contract from the Packers, so we can't just talk to him, we need to receive permission

yea, did they even talk to Clements about the job? the Steelers block interviews all the time.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Dermotti Dawson gets into the HOF! :) Finally...

Jerome Bettis does not. :(

thegenerel
02-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Dermotti Dawson gets into the HOF! :) Finally...

Jerome Bettis does not. :(

too many good players right now. next year Cris Carter and Bettis will get in for sure since they wont take more than one guy at the same position. Tim Brown will go in 2014.

kethnaab
02-04-2012, 04:46 PM
too many good players right now. next year Cris Carter and Bettis will get in for sure since they wont take more than one guy at the same position. Tim Brown will go in 2014.

I wouldn't bet on either of them just yet to be honest, but we shall see

also don't forget, Curtis Martin and Chris Doleman both are Pitt Panthers, and Jack Butler is a former Steelers player and present Steelers coach! :D

FormulaLT1poweR
02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
keth or generel

I was talking to my Mom earlier (who lives outside of Dallas). She was saying that on a few radio stations after the Broncos beat the Steelers, they were discussing a non-call penalty. I guess they were saying the 80 yard TD play should NOT have counted, and there should have been an illegal formation penalty. Have you heard such a thing? I haven't and I just got done looking around the internet and couldn't really find much. Not that it matters, but I haven't heard of it and would like to see it, etc (if it exists). Maybe a screen shot of the play (pre-snap) might help as well.

thegenerel
02-05-2012, 02:56 PM
keth or generel

I was talking to my Mom earlier (who lives outside of Dallas). She was saying that on a few radio stations after the Broncos beat the Steelers, they were discussing a non-call penalty. I guess they were saying the 80 yard TD play should NOT have counted, and there should have been an illegal formation penalty. Have you heard such a thing? I haven't and I just got done looking around the internet and couldn't really find much. Not that it matters, but I haven't heard of it and would like to see it, etc (if it exists). Maybe a screen shot of the play (pre-snap) might help as well.

the Broncos only had 6 on the line, I think the TE or LT was lined up too far back.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Steelers hired Todd Haley as offensive coordinator.
Running backs coach Kirby Wilson would have gotten the job if not for a late-season house fire that left him with burns on 45 percent of his body. While Haley had communication problems as a head coach in Kansas City, as a coordinator in 2007 and 2008 with Arizona he oversaw back-to-back top-12 offenses, topping out at No. 4 in the league in his final season. Haley had Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, and Anquan Boldin, of course, but he will have Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Wallace, and Antonio Brown in Pittsburgh. It's an aggressive hire on Pittsburgh's part. Haley's passing offenses have been up-tempo with lots of shotgun and hurry-up when he's been the main man in charge.

-THOUGHTS?!?!?

thegenerel
02-06-2012, 03:44 PM
I like it, a bold move. better than hiring a run first guy and trying to change the offense.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
I like it, a bold move. better than hiring a run first guy and trying to change the offense.

Maybe he brings in a West Coast O? Lots of shotgun/hurry-up, plays into Roethlisberger's strengths IMO.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Steelers released CB Bryant McFadden and WR Arnaz Battle.
Combined, the moves give the cap-strapped Steelers $3,537,500 more to work with in terms of base salary. McFadden, 30, plummeted down the depth chart in 2011, falling behind Ike Taylor, William Gay, and Keenan Lewis. He could resurface as a nickel or dime back elsewhere, but has been picked on frequently in recent seasons. The 32-year-old Battle was only a special teams player.

--- Only $22M to go!

thegenerel
02-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Steelers released CB Bryant McFadden and WR Arnaz Battle.
Combined, the moves give the cap-strapped Steelers $3,537,500 more to work with in terms of base salary. McFadden, 30, plummeted down the depth chart in 2011, falling behind Ike Taylor, William Gay, and Keenan Lewis. He could resurface as a nickel or dime back elsewhere, but has been picked on frequently in recent seasons. The 32-year-old Battle was only a special teams player.

--- Only $22M to go!

15M now, they restructured Woodley from 11M to 4M

FormulaLT1poweR
02-08-2012, 03:56 PM
15M now, they restructured Woodley from 11M to 4M

Ooooo, didn't see that!

15M wouldn't be that hard w/ some of the huge contracts we could unload. Here is a quote from a kethnaab post:
$X,XXX,XXX <~ Cap # ($X,XXX,XXX) <~Savings w/ release.
$8,056,668 DT Hampton, Casey ($5,890,000)
$5,261,666 OL Kemoeatu, Chris ($2,392,332)
$4,610,000 WR Ward, Hines ($3,390,000)
$3,825,000 LB Farrior, James ($2,825,000)
$3,600,000 LB Foote, Larry ($3,000,000)
$3,427,500 RB Mendenhall, Rashard ($2,325,000)
$2,984,191 DE Smith, Aaron ($2,109,191)
$2,700,000 OL Scott, Jonathan ($2,200,000)
$2,666,668 CB McFadden, Bryant ($2,500,000)
$1,362,500 WR Battle, Arnaz ($1,037,500)

~$27.5 million shaved from the cap.

Getting rid of snack, is 1/3 of what we need!

THIS MIGHT BE SHAPING UP TO BE A DECENT OFFSEASON!

thegenerel
02-08-2012, 03:59 PM
a lot of those guys are gone imo

Mendy is staying, Ward will restructure to close to vet min, one of Farrior/Foote will stay and likely restructure.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-08-2012, 04:07 PM
a lot of those guys are gone imo

Mendy is staying, Ward will restructure to close to vet min, one of Farrior/Foote will stay and likely restructure.

Agreed. I'm saying Mendy stays might possibly resign/restructure. Agreed w/ Ward, he will take vet minimum to stay and teach, etc. I'm saying Farrior stays, Foote is gone...we let him walk before.

kethnaab
02-08-2012, 04:13 PM
they'll do similar to Timmons as well

both of their contracts were 6 seasons on purpose.

can only prorate bonus money over 5 seasons. so the cap hit in 2012 will be lightened substantially by reducing salary to 2012 veteran minimum, taking the $7-8 mil due from roster and signing bonuses, paying all of it up front, and prorating over the next 5 seasons.

Timons might save us another 4-5 mil off the cap.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-08-2012, 04:59 PM
they'll do similar to Timmons as well

both of their contracts were 6 seasons on purpose.

can only prorate bonus money over 5 seasons. so the cap hit in 2012 will be lightened substantially by reducing salary to 2012 veteran minimum, taking the $7-8 mil due from roster and signing bonuses, paying all of it up front, and prorating over the next 5 seasons.

Timons might save us another 4-5 mil off the cap.

This is one things I really can't grasp...NFL contracts.

In your OPINION, by cutting players, and restructuring deals...COULD they spend a little money via FA? We all 3 know they probably won't, but will they have that luxury? Or they would probably have to save some of it to sign draft picks?

kethnaab
02-09-2012, 07:55 AM
I honestly think they'll go after a vet NT like Aubrayo Franklin after they make some cuts and restructures. If they don't, that'll say alot about the direction that Tomlin wants to take the team. I also have a feeling we'll sign leonard Pope (bigass TE that's followed Haley around from Arizona to KC)

the cap moves we'll make will allow them a bit of breathing room but remember, they have to sign Wallace long term.

fairly certain they'll either cut Farrior and restructure Foote (add a season, drop the $$$) or cut Foote outright.

Will allen will join Bryant mcFadden shortly, Kemo not until after 1 June. Timmons, Ben, and posibly Deebo big restructure targets. Really not sure WTF they're going to do with Snack and Ward. I think they're praying like hell that Ward just retires, but unfortunately, that won't happen. I think Snack is done. They may cut/resign him and toss him on PUP or something.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Steelers reportedly restructured the contract of ILB Lawrence Timmons, freeing up $5.14 million in salary cap space.
The Steelers have saved $11.7 million against the 2012 cap by restructuring Timmons and LaMarr Woodley. Timmons' base salary was reduced to $700,000, but he's now due a $6.425 million signing bonus prorated at $1.285 million per over the next five years. The Steelers may not be done restructuring, as they need to free enough space to match offers for Mike Wallace now that the maximum tender for restricted free agents is at the first-round level.

---Haha, this is sorta getting crazy.

kethnaab
02-09-2012, 03:26 PM
yup, that's the exact salary restructure I thought they'd do.

it's identical (in practice) to how they restructured Woodley

RollinSwollin28
02-09-2012, 03:30 PM
I have a feeling this hire won't work out. Haleys and Rothlesburgers personality won't gell too well

FormulaLT1poweR
02-09-2012, 03:50 PM
yup, that's the exact salary restructure I thought they'd do.

it's identical (in practice) to how they restructured Woodley

Anything else you see in the chute?

I have a feeling this hire won't work out. Bens and Rothlesburgers personality won't gell too well

Ben and RoEthlIsbErger are the same person? :confused:

He's not bi-polar is he?! :D

Big7Ben86
02-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Ben and RoEthlIsbErger are the same person? :confused:

He's not bi-polar is he?! :D

its a commonality with his draft class....

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/philip-rivers-confused.jpg

id rather have conflict than for them to be buttbuddies. Ben seemed to do better with wiz even though they clashed

ramsgoldberg61
02-09-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm already in withdraw not watching the Steelers..

http://designyoutrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/unnamed_zz1w0tdtd.gif

http://www.mississippilawyer-blog.com/hines-ward-crying-300x300.gif

thegenerel
02-09-2012, 04:30 PM
this season was largely painful imo. they did not play like a 12-4 team.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-09-2012, 04:49 PM
this season was largely painful imo. they did not play like a 12-4 team.

Strong benefit of a WEAK schedule.

kethnaab
02-09-2012, 04:51 PM
agreed

Ben and Harrison are probably next in the chute, although that's out of the "big guys" that we haven't mentioned, but that we defijitely want to keep for awahile

hines, snack, aaron smith, farrior, and foote are guys that will probably need massive restructuring, i.e. "Jerome Bettis paycut" style, if they want to stay with the team.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-09-2012, 04:56 PM
agreed

Ben and Harrison are probably next in the chute, although that's out of the "big guys" that we haven't mentioned, but that we defijitely want to keep for awahile

hines, snack, aaron smith, farrior, and foote are guys that will probably need massive restructuring, i.e. "Jerome Bettis paycut" style, if they want to stay with the team.

We shall see, Ben's probably pissed off, so who knows if he will restructure.

Simply by restructuring all these deals...aren't we killing ourselves in the long run? At some point, you are going to have to take the cap hit for that player...aren't they just backloading the contracts to deal with the cap in later years?

kethnaab
02-09-2012, 05:10 PM
timmons and woodley's contracts were done in 2011 with the intetion of restructuring them

big ole' cap boost expect in 2013 and 2014 due to TV revenue

thegenerel
02-09-2012, 05:19 PM
yea the cap barely went up this year but that insane TV deal comes into place next year.

jross2021
02-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Of course you guys get active in this thread when i'm banned :/

Anyway, I was trying to put together a mock when I was bored.

Hoping Pitt can pick up Tommy Streeter in the 3rd!

Also, what are your thoughts on Joe Adams? If we could get him in the 5th round or so? Worst case scenario he gives Brown a break on returns.

Also, thoughts on Akiem Hicks and how he'd fit in on Pitt's D?

thegenerel
02-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Of course you guys get active in this thread when i'm banned :/

Anyway, I was trying to put together a mock when I was bored.

Hoping Pitt can pick up Tommy Streeter in the 3rd!

Also, what are your thoughts on Joe Adams? If we could get him in the 5th round or so? Worst case scenario he gives Brown a break on returns.

Joe Adams will probably go R3 if the draft was this weekend. They do need a new returner so Brown can be a full time WR

FormulaLT1poweR
02-09-2012, 07:36 PM
If we don't go Hightower or OL 1.24 I'm going to be extremely upset.

I dunno why, but I wish we were able to get Ras-I-Dowling last year. I liked him at Va Tech, and it just pisses me off, we were "targeting" him, and the Pats took him.

jross2021
02-09-2012, 07:47 PM

I dunno why, but I wish we were able to get Ras-I-Dowling last year. I liked him at Va Tech, and it just pisses me off, we were "targeting" him, and the Pats took him.

What about Janoris Jenkins? Just curious what you think of him.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-09-2012, 07:53 PM
What about Janoris Jenkins? Just curious what you think of him.

The kid that was charged with pot twice? I think he's a decent player, but not a "Steelers player". CB is a concern, but I'm still going OL > CB...lets see what the young guys can do before we want to gamble. Brown and Allen were kept for a reason, and McFadden left. Joe Burnett, Gay, Allen, Brown can't be any worse...

kethnaab
02-09-2012, 10:26 PM

Joe Adams will run a 4.3 and get snatched before he falls to us in the 3rd

Very intrigued by Akiem Hicks. he's a bit tall for NT, but guys like him are why I'm not a fan of drafting a 2-gap DE 5-tech so damn early, 2 of the last 3 #@$%ing years

we got Ras-I Dowling in the 4th last season. Our version just doesn't come with the injury concerns
Similarly, we got Derrius Heyward-Bey in the 3rd round the season before. Our version just doesn't come with the degree of stupidity
Perhaps we'll get Dontari Poe in the 6th (Akiem Hicks)
Or perhaps we'll get Kelechi Osemele in the 3rd (Amini Silatolu)
or maybe we get Alameda Ta'amu in the 5th (Hebron Fangupo)

The kid that was charged with pot twice? I think he's a decent player, but not a "Steelers player". CB is a concern, but I'm still going OL > CB...lets see what the young guys can do before we want to gamble. Brown and Allen were kept for a reason, and McFadden left. Joe Burnett, Gay, Allen, Brown can't be any worse...

Janoris Jenkins is the best cover CB in the draft next to Morris Claiborne, but the Steelers don't draft 5'10 CBs with serious character and behavioral issues in the 4th let alone the 1st. Jenkins won't get past Dallas and both of Cinci's 1st rounders

jross2021
02-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Joe Adams will run a 4.3 and get snatched before he falls to us in the 3rd

Feels bad, would have been nice to get a returner like him to give Brown a break.

And yeah, figured that'd be a negative on Jenkins.. just wishful thinking we'd get a corner with skills like his after watching that nightmare a couple weeks ago (won't repeat, too sad)

thegenerel
02-10-2012, 10:01 AM
why is Wendell Fears a mod on Steel City Insider? the guy is a giant tool. all he does is spout off like a moron.

he was ripping on Wes Saunders for his suspension when it has never been confirmed why he was suspended (appears to be Adderall). I call Wendel out for judging this kid based off an assumption and he sends me a PM threatening a ban.

but people are allowed to make call Wes Saunders a scumbag because they assume he is doing drugs or juicing?

Sent: 2/8/2012call another member out his name you will be banned.

wendell fears moderator

FormulaLT1poweR
02-10-2012, 04:12 PM
In addition to Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley, the Steelers have reworked RCB Ike Taylor's contract to bring down his cap number.
Keep in mind that "reworking" deals does not constitute a pay cut or make these contracts easier to handle in the long run. Taylor, Timmons, and Woodley are becoming even bigger long-term cap burdens. Per PFT's Mike Florio, Taylor's scheduled $5.75 million 2012 salary dropped to $825,000, and he was immediately paid a $4.975 million signing bonus to make up the difference. That new "signing bonus" will be prorated into 2012, 2013, and 2014.

- See this is what I'm saying...at some point this reworking deals is going to bit us in the arse. Correct me if I'm wrong?

kethnaab
02-10-2012, 06:59 PM
why is Wendell Fears a mod on Steel City Insider? the guy is a giant tool. all he does is spout off like a moron.

he was ripping on Wes Saunders for his suspension when it has never been confirmed why he was suspended (appears to be Adderall). I call Wendel out for judging this kid based off an assumption and he sends me a PM threatening a ban.

I think Wendell is slow. Like, literally. Why is he a mod? I have absolutely no idea. I'm not sure how the hell he manages to log into a computer although I am assuming he does it without assistance.

In addition to Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley, the Steelers have reworked RCB Ike Taylor's contract to bring down his cap number.
Keep in mind that "reworking" deals does not constitute a pay cut or make these contracts easier to handle in the long run. Taylor, Timmons, and Woodley are becoming even bigger long-term cap burdens. Per PFT's Mike Florio, Taylor's scheduled $5.75 million 2012 salary dropped to $825,000, and he was immediately paid a $4.975 million signing bonus to make up the difference. That new "signing bonus" will be prorated into 2012, 2013, and 2014.

- See this is what I'm saying...at some point this reworking deals is going to bit us in the arse. Correct me if I'm wrong?

they're really praying like hell the TV deal kicks in hard. If not, we are phucked like mad

thegenerel
02-10-2012, 07:04 PM
I think Wendell is slow. Like, literally. Why is he a mod? I have absolutely no idea. I'm not sure how the hell he manages to log into a computer although I am assuming he does it without assistance.

they're really praying like hell the TV deal kicks in hard. If not, we are phucked like mad

I kind of feel like responding to him asking why players can be called names but members calling members is worthy of a ban.

As for the Steelers, Omar Khan is a wizard, and everything points to the cap having a HUGE increase next year.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-10-2012, 08:50 PM
NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports the Steelers will not bring Hines Ward back in 2012.
"He has one year left on his deal worth $4 million," said La Canfora. "According to my sources, he won't be back there. So that's $4 million off the books." Ward could take a pay cut all the way to the minimum and he still wouldn't be worth retaining, because No. 4 receivers have to play special teams. Creating cap space at a rapid rate with restructurings and cuts, the Steelers are likely hoping to find some way to make Ward's release go as smoothly as possible.

---End well this will not. In b4 Baltimore swoops him up, etc. Again, I see this pissing Roethlisberger off...

kethnaab
02-10-2012, 09:39 PM
LaCanfora's sources told him that Casey Hampton was going to be cut back in, what, 2007? 2008?

we'll "cut" him without cutting him, and he'll take a big ole' vet minimum style pay cut to play his last seasons with the Steelers

thegenerel
02-10-2012, 09:42 PM
---End well this will not. In b4 Baltimore swoops him up, etc. Again, I see this pissing Roethlisberger off...

if anything Ben will be happy, they dont seem to get along that well.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-11-2012, 02:59 PM
A must read! What a cool dude.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/good-sports/201202/pittsburgh-steelers-antonio-brown-super-bowl-twitter-fan-nfl

jross2021
02-11-2012, 07:51 PM
A must read! What a cool dude.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/good-sports/201202/pittsburgh-steelers-antonio-brown-super-bowl-twitter-fan-nfl

read that the other day. First ochocinco gives a guy on twitter tickets, then this.. gonna have to start tweeting players.

hindes204
02-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Khan ( the salary cap genius) turns down the Rams, Hines insists he will reconstruct contract to stay in PGH

Pretty good day to be a Steeler fan

FormulaLT1poweR
02-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Add in Genos 5 points, the return of Staal, and thd 8-5 victory!

LOL

kethnaab
02-12-2012, 08:41 AM
and then add that to the HOF induction of 2x Steelers and a pair of Pitt Panthers and it's been a damn good month!

side note - changed my stance on Ta'amu. I won't be annoyed if we draft him in the 2nd

thegenerel
02-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Add in Genos 5 points, the return of Staal, and thd 8-5 victory!

LOL

I was there! Since the opening of the CEC I have been 7 games, and this was the 2nd win. I was on a 4 game losing streak and when that game started off 2-0 my friend turned to me and said "this is your fault"

FormulaLT1poweR
02-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Let's not forget the almost sure possibility the Buccos get AJ Burnett. Anyone know what 2 minor leaguers are being tossed around? They say it's not anyone on their 40 man roster.

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Yankees are likely to end up paying $19-23 million of the $33 million remaining on A.J. Burnett's contract in a potential deal with the Pirates.
Rosenthal adds that the Yanks are likely to receive multiple minor leaguers in return, but none of them will come from the Pirates’ 40-man roster. He says that "most signs" are pointing to the trade going down, but that the two sides are "still haggling about the money and players in the deal." The Yanks are still talking to other teams about a Burnett deal, but they think the Pirates "make the most sense," according to Rosenthal. It sounds like a trade should be completed prior to spring training.

kethnaab
02-12-2012, 12:10 PM
I have been 7 games, and this was the 2nd win.

time for you to stay the f*** away

FormulaLT1poweR
02-12-2012, 12:18 PM

I learned my lesson! I once was undefeated in seeing the Steelers...until @ Kansas City in OT (Long play to Chambers in OT, game Ben got hurt, etc). Then I took it a step further last year at the SB in Dallas (we know the result). I think now I'm 10-2 or something, but one of them hurts bad...LOL!

thegenerel
02-12-2012, 01:00 PM

not only that but I pick the worst losses possible

CEC Opener, lose to Flyers
Winter Classic, lose to Caps and Sid gets hurt
Return of Jagr, Talbot. Lose to Flyers

Big7Ben86
02-12-2012, 01:37 PM
not only that but I pick the worst losses possible

CEC Opener, lose to Flyers
Winter Classic, lose to Caps and Sid gets hurt
Return of Jagr, Talbot. Lose to Flyers

are you still selling pens tickets?

thegenerel
02-12-2012, 01:43 PM
are you still selling pens tickets?

yea we have season tix, sell about 60-70% of our games.

LarryAmerica
02-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Nice WK tweet here by Mike Wallace...

Mike Wallace @Wallace17_daKid Reply Retweet Favorite Open
I hope all of the women have a wonderful Valentines Day!! Hopefully your men treat u like the queens that you are!!#luv

But on that subject which Steelers do you Twitter/Steeler fan brahs like to follow? Antonio Brown is probably my fav, since he doesn't always sound like a complete idiot, and posts a lot of neat pictures. Also RT's a lot of fans.

jross2021
02-14-2012, 11:03 AM

I hope all of the women have a wonderful Valentines Day!! Hopefully your men treat u like the queens that you are!!#luv

But on that subject which Steelers do you Twitter/Steeler fan brahs like to follow? Antonio Brown is probably my fav, since he doesn't always sound like a complete idiot, and posts a lot of neat pictures. Also RT's a lot of fans.

James Harrison.. he usually says some stupid **** but it's kinda funny

during the 49ers blackout he tweeted

"if i cant play, can't nobody play"

thegenerel
02-14-2012, 11:09 AM

Antonio Brown is the best, he seems to be one of the best guys on the team. He learned his twitter ways from Chad Johnson.

kethnaab
02-14-2012, 02:40 PM
i need a class on remedial tweetering. I can never figure out who said what. I just see a bunch of @name and @name RT @name #whakethbrainhertnow

jross2021
02-14-2012, 02:55 PM
ESPN just did some gay valentines segment and were talking about Mario Williams going to Pittsburgh, is such a thing even possible?

FormulaLT1poweR
02-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Someone care to inform me on what the "poison pill" is, in reference to RFA?

thegenerel
02-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Someone care to inform me on what the "poison pill" is, in reference to RFA?

makes a contract guaranteed. the Seahawks and Vikings did it to each other with Nate Burleson and Steve Hutchinson. they were both RFA tenders at the time and each new team added a clause that if the player played 8 games in the state of his current team then the entire deal is guaranteed.

jross2021
02-14-2012, 11:01 PM
i need a class on remedial tweetering. I can never figure out who said what. I just see a bunch of @name and @name RT @name #whakethbrainhertnow

twitter is confusing, because even when they RT (retweet), they can write whatever they want, wherever they want and you don't know who wrote what

#firstworldproblems

Cinderblock
02-15-2012, 04:04 PM
cliffs on what the Steelers needs in the draft are?

jross2021
02-15-2012, 04:14 PM
cliffs on what the Steelers needs in the draft are?

Guard, Tackle, DBacks, D-Line, Linebackers

Pretty much everything but K,P, QB, RB, WR

kethnaab
02-15-2012, 04:37 PM
ESPN just did some gay valentines segment and were talking about Mario Williams going to Pittsburgh, is such a thing even possible?

no.

disagree. Suishie needs to go. Mendenhall is out all season. We need a KR/PR to take over for Antonio Brown so he can focus on his WR and CB duties.

basically the only thing we don't need is QB, and even then, we need a backup.

Cinderblock
02-15-2012, 04:48 PM

disagree. Suishie needs to go. Mendenhall is out all season. We need a KR/PR to take over for Antonio Brown so he can focus on his WR and CB duties.

basically the only thing we don't need is QB, and even then, we need a backup.Maybe I shouldn't have said anything...

jross2021
02-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Aware me on what's going on with Wallace...

thegenerel
02-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Aware me on what's going on with Wallace...

not much, the Steelers need to make salary cuts and Wallace will be a target if he is only tendered a new deal.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-17-2012, 04:37 PM
LMAO, so I was talking to my parents today (who live in Dallas, TX). I guess on the 10pm News (yesterday they thought)...the sports segment had an interview with Jason Garrett...that went a little like this:

Reporter: How do you feel about Romo?
Garrett: Tony Romo will win a Super Bowl.
Reporter: Oh, so you guys are trading him to Pittsburgh?

Too damn funny!!!

ElMariachi
02-17-2012, 07:44 PM
makes a contract guaranteed. the Seahawks and Vikings did it to each other with Nate Burleson and Steve Hutchinson. they were both RFA tenders at the time and each new team added a clause that if the player played 8 games in the state of his current team then the entire deal is guaranteed.

"Poison pills" are now history, the new CBA did away with them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20120214_no_more_poison_pill_offer_sheets

However there's nothing preventing a team with a lot of cap space to front-load the deal in such a fashion that it becomes damn near impossible for Pittsburgh to match and still stay under the cap. Cincy's got like 50 or 60 mil in cap space for example. They are one of the teams that have been possibly linked with Wallace, as well as the Patriots, the 49ers and Tampa Bay.

thegenerel
02-17-2012, 07:54 PM
"Poison pills" are now history, the new CBA did away with them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20120214_no_more_poison_pill_offer_sheets

random post is random. that is why it was brought up.

problemz
02-19-2012, 02:44 PM
no.

basically the only thing we don't need is QB, and even then, we need a backup.

Pretty sure you can go after Brandon Banks. I don't think he will be in DC next season.

jross2021
02-20-2012, 06:14 PM
p8Bu3538FdY

http://i39.tinypic.com/9v8pol.png

FormulaLT1poweR
02-20-2012, 08:31 PM
^^
I'd take him too, but unless we "stretch" for him in Rd 2.

According to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, there is "real concern" in the Steelers' front office that they may lose restricted free agent Mike Wallace.
The Steelers are in a tough spot because they're so tight up against the salary cap. They'll place a first-round tender on Wallace, but a franchise tag isn't financially doable, and the tender would leave Pittsburgh vulnerable to teams willing to surrender a first-round pick. La Canfora mentioned the division-rival Ravens and Patriots as teams potentially interested in Wallace. Baltimore drafts at No. 29, and New England has two first-round picks.

---Fuuuu, IF we don't resign Wallace to a long term deal, he's as good as gone. No way in hell New England, Baltimore, Cincinnati, etc wouldn't give up a late 1st rounder for Wallace.

jross2021
02-20-2012, 08:39 PM
^^
I'd take him too, but unless we "stretch" for him in Rd 2.

According to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, there is "real concern" in the Steelers' front office that they may lose restricted free agent Mike Wallace.
The Steelers are in a tough spot because they're so tight up against the salary cap. They'll place a first-round tender on Wallace, but a franchise tag isn't financially doable, and the tender would leave Pittsburgh vulnerable to teams willing to surrender a first-round pick. La Canfora mentioned the division-rival Ravens and Patriots as teams potentially interested in Wallace. Baltimore drafts at No. 29, and New England has two first-round picks.

---Fuuuu, IF we don't resign Wallace to a long term deal, he's as good as gone. No way in hell New England, Baltimore, Cincinnati, etc wouldn't give up a late 1st rounder for Wallace.

I'd hate to lose Wallace, I feel like his presence really helps Brown's overall production. The only benefit of a first round tender, would be that it would allow us to possibly draft Cordy Glenn or a lineman as well as Hightower or someone else beneficial to the teams needs.

And then we can pick up the next Randy Moss, errr I mean Tommy Streeter in the 2nd!

thegenerel
02-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Im not sweating it, if it comes down to, a lot of vets will be axed to keep him. at worst they get a 1st round pick

Wallace doesnt have to leave unless he signs a deal. If he wants to stay, he can accept the tender/tag and give the team time to sort out the financial issues. its not like he would be on waivers.

another edit - keth, what does Ian say on SCI?

FormulaLT1poweR
02-21-2012, 05:21 PM
I'd hate to lose Wallace, I feel like his presence really helps Brown's overall production. The only benefit of a first round tender, would be that it would allow us to possibly draft Cordy Glenn or a lineman as well as Hightower or someone else beneficial to the teams needs.

And then we can pick up the next Randy Moss, errr I mean Tommy Streeter in the 2nd!

I agree. Wallace's down the field threat allows Brown to be who he is. I can't imagine what our WR corps would look like w/out Wallace. Brown and Sanders starting? Knowing Sanders foot problems, I'm not sure I'd settle with that. I'd like to bring back Cotchery as well.

I'd LOVE to get Tommy Streeter, but I'm not sure where he will go? 2nd round? 3rd round?

Im not sweating it, if it comes down to, a lot of vets will be axed to keep him. at worst they get a 1st round pick

Wallace doesnt have to leave unless he signs a deal. If he wants to stay, he can accept the tender/tag and give the team time to sort out the financial issues. its not like he would be on waivers.

another edit - keth, what does Ian say on SCI?

I've admitted in the past, I do NOT understand contracts the least bit. I guess I'm confused...if Baltimore (or any other team), offer Wallace a deal...HE can accept/decline, but we also have the option to match? If he declines, do we have to match, or does his remaining 1 year just keep him under contract until next year? If we don't match, then we get that teams 1st rounder...?

thegenerel
02-21-2012, 05:46 PM
I've admitted in the past, I do NOT understand contracts the least bit. I guess I'm confused...if Baltimore (or any other team), offer Wallace a deal...HE can accept/decline, but we also have the option to match? If he declines, do we have to match, or does his remaining 1 year just keep him under contract until next year? If we don't match, then we get that teams 1st rounder...?

A team could offer him $15 million a year and if he doesnt sign the deal then in no way it affects the Steelers.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-21-2012, 07:37 PM
A team could offer him $15 million a year and if he doesnt sign the deal then in no way it affects the Steelers.

So does Wallace HAVE to agree with a new team before he is gone?

So if Wallace agrees to the deal, the Steelers can match the deal and keep him, or say bye bye and get that teams #1 pick?

thegenerel
02-21-2012, 07:43 PM
So does Wallace HAVE to agree with a new team before he is gone?

So if Wallace agrees to the deal, the Steelers can match the deal and keep him, or say bye bye and get that teams #1 pick?

Yep, he has to agree to the deal then the Steelers have the chance to match. That is if its only the 1st round tender. If they Franchise him, it would cost 2 1sts.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-21-2012, 07:45 PM
So here is some predictions:

11. Early Doucet, Cardinals

Scouting Report: With a 4.56 forty time and 34.5-inch vertical, Doucet is an average athlete lacking downfield playmaking ability. He's spent his first four NFL seasons rotating in the slot for Arizona, playing behind Steve Breaston, Jerheme Urban, and Andre Roberts. Though known as a tough receiver, the 26-year-old has battled a laundry list of injuries, most notably fractured ribs, sports hernia surgery, recurring hamstring woes, and an abdominal strain. Doucet did seem to take a step forward in 2011, setting career highs in receptions (54), yards (689), and touchdowns (5) while making it through the first 16-game season of his career.

Availability: The Cardinals are expected to let Doucet hit the open market on March 13. The Arizona coaching staff appears to have determined that Doucet is a slot receiver only and a replaceable player. Doucet has some history with new Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who ran Arizona's offense during Doucet's rookie year. Chiefs assistant head coach Maurice Carthon was also a position coach on the Cardinals' staff when Doucet entered the NFL.

Prediction: Steelers on a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

1. Mike Wallace, Steelers

Scouting Report: A third-round steal in the 2009 draft, Wallace quickly passed Limas Sweed to be Pittsburgh's No. 3 receiver as a rookie. The Steelers felt comfortable trading Santonio Holmes during the 2010 offseason, primarily because of Wallace's emergence, and he's led the team in receiving two straight years. While Wallace is sometimes billed as a straight-line speedster, his ability to take the top off a defense opens things up for other players. Wallace has been durable for his size (6'0/199) and has yet to miss a game due to injury. He's averaging 18.7 yards per career reception with 24 TDs. In 34 starts, Wallace has averaged 78 yards per game. Only eight NFL wide receivers had more first-down catches in 2011. Wallace ran a 4.33 forty time at the 2009 Combine, also demonstrating explosion with a vertical leap of 40 inches and 10-foot, 9-inch broad jump. Not yet 26 years old, Wallace is the most dynamic deep threat in the AFC.

Availability: The new CBA prevents restricted free agents from receiving the old first- and third-round tender, a once-prohibitive tag for interested teams. The highest tender is now a first-round only designation, requiring clubs in pursuit to surrender a top-32 draft pick if they propose an offer sheet the restricted free agent's current team cannot match. In other words, Wallace can be acquired for a first-round pick and contract the Steelers decline to pay. Pittsburgh is strapped for salary cap space and may balk at any contract proposal that contains a large first-year roster bonus. As a top-ten NFL receiver, Wallace is well worth the money and draft choice.

Prediction: Ravens on a five-year, $47.5 million contract.

5. Hines Ward, Steelers

Overview: Ward was listed as a "starter" in eight of the Steelers' 2011 regular season gamebooks, but five of his starts occurred in the first five games and he was demoted to fifth receiver at midseason, falling behind Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Jerricho Cotchery, and Emmanuel Sanders. Ward averaged 14 snaps played in Pittsburgh's final nine games, including the playoffs. His 8.3 yards-per-reception average was easily a career low, and Ward's 381 receiving yards were his fewest since 1998, Ward's rookie season. Turning 36 in March, Ward has deteriorated into a slow-moving slot receiver who struggles mightily to get open and is easily taken out of plays by physical press coverage. In late January, Ward underwent surgery to remove loose bone fragments from his right ankle. He has a $4 million base salary for 2012.

Prediction: Released in early March.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-21-2012, 07:48 PM
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers are willing to let restricted free agent Mike Wallace test the open market.
GM Kevin Colbert recently conceded to a local radio station that the franchise tag is highly unlikely due to salary cap issues. The Steelers will reportedly place a first-round restricted tender on Wallace and "see what develops." If he "signs a contract and they deem it too high," they will apparently take the first-round compensation instead of matching. Once unthinkable, it's now very possible the Steelers will let their 25-year-old No. 1 receiver walk instead of digging themselves into an even deeper salary-cap hole.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Yep, he has to agree to the deal then the Steelers have the chance to match. That is if its only the 1st round tender. If they Franchise him, it would cost 2 1sts.

So my question is this: Why don't they release Ward, and free up some space. Sign/Extend Wallace for 1 more year, thus taking him off the market. Then they keep him, and can sign him to a long-term deal with the new "TV deal" that is supposed to give a lot more money to teams for the cap?

Based off some of the #'s I've seen, I'm not seeing why this is a struggle. Hampton, Foote/Farrior, Ward would easily allow for Wallace to resign (unless he's going to demand BIG money).

When can teams start throwing #'s at him? Early March when FA starts?

thegenerel
02-21-2012, 07:52 PM
I dont see the Ravens doing that as they are close to the cap and need to sign Rice and Flacco. Wallace would become the next Jagr if he signed with the Ravens

jross2021
02-21-2012, 08:05 PM
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers are willing to let restricted free agent Mike Wallace test the open market.
GM Kevin Colbert recently conceded to a local radio station that the franchise tag is highly unlikely due to salary cap issues. The Steelers will reportedly place a first-round restricted tender on Wallace and "see what develops." If he "signs a contract and they deem it too high," they will apparently take the first-round compensation instead of matching. Once unthinkable, it's now very possible the Steelers will let their 25-year-old No. 1 receiver walk instead of digging themselves into an even deeper salary-cap hole.

I don't even know where i'd want him to go.. inb4 Browns and Pitt somehow manages to get Blackmon with that #4 pick. Although, with your prediction being the Ravens.. I'd personally be looking at OG, Brandon Washington out of Miami with the 29th pick. I don't know though, this is the first time I can remember seriously worrying about what's going on in the offseason with Pittsburgh, I don't like it.

And I like Doucet, but his injuries scare me.. i'd be much happier with Streeter.. or if Moss could keep his got damn mouth shut, Moss for a year or 2.

Big7Ben86
02-21-2012, 08:47 PM
do you guys think there is any chance in hell we would sign randy moss? i could see Ben being all for it

jross2021
02-21-2012, 08:48 PM
do you guys think there is any chance in hell we would sign randy moss? i could see Ben being all for it

I couldn't picture the organization doing it, but I don't know why anyone would be against it if he could keep his mouth shut lol..

thegenerel
02-21-2012, 08:56 PM
no way is Randy Moss coming here. I say there is greater than 50% chance he doesnt even get a contract.

jross2021
02-21-2012, 09:03 PM
no way is Randy Moss coming here. I say there is greater than 50% chance he doesnt even get a contract.

Assuming he doesn't want a big contract, I think there's a good chance he'll sign somewhere.. He'd still be a deep threat, it just comes down to whether or not he wants to play for the team that signs him.

thegenerel
02-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Assuming he doesn't want a big contract, I think there's a good chance he'll sign somewhere.. He'd still be a deep threat, it just comes down to whether or not he wants to play for the team that signs him.

He wasnt a deep threat in 2010 when he was on 3 different teams. One year away from football, I just dont see where he would fit in.

And the more I read, the more I think Wallace is gone. It might come down to how much he wants to stay.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-22-2012, 03:21 PM
And the more I read, the more I think Wallace is gone. It might come down to how much he wants to stay.

http://siriusxmsports.posterous.com/mike-wallace-restricted-free-agent-wr-joined

Sounds like 49ers/Patriots or "A Super Bowl caliber team". This is just going to piss me off...

EDIT:
Restricted free agent Mike Wallace says contract talks are "ongoing" with the Steelers, but conceded Wednesday that he may not return to Pittsburgh due to the team's salary cap situation.
"[Pittsburgh is] where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business," said Wallace. "... So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do." The Steelers are trying to sign Wallace to a long-term deal in order to avoid extending him a first-round tender. He is not expected to be franchise tagged.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-22-2012, 04:28 PM
1. The Steelers, though, have made significant progress this month to get under the cap. Pittsburgh restructured the contracts of linebackers LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, creating $11.6 million in cap room. The Steelers also freed up $3.5 million in cap space by cutting cornerback Bryant McFadden and wide receiver Arnaz Battle. Those four moves represented a total of $15.1 million in cap room.

There's still plenty of work remaining for the Steelers, who are now a projected $10 million over the cap. Here are five players whose 2012 salaries account for $17.4 million, which makes them candidates to get restructured or released: nose tackle Casey Hampton ($4.8 million), wide receiver Hines Ward ($4 million), guard Chris Kemoeatu ($3.5 million), linebacker Larry Foote ($3 million) and defensive end Aaron Smith ($2.1 million). Some of that cap space will go to wide receiver Mike Wallace, a restricted free agent who will get a first-round tender ($2.7 million).

2. I didn't see it posted elsewhere but the Steelers restructures Willie Colon's contract, coverting $3.8M of his salary into bonus money.

Spread over his 4 year contract that should give the Steelers a savings of $2.85M for this year.

3. Sounds like we are a little over 8M over the cap. Aaron Smith retirement saves us ~3M, Hines Ward is another ~4M, Casey Hamtpon is another ~5M-7M (depending on where you read), Foote/Farrior is another ~3M.

bikeguy35
02-23-2012, 08:38 AM
I don't see the Ravens going after Wallace. They drafted Torrey Smith to be a depp threat, field stretcher and he has shown potential. He'll want to go to a contender and will likely have his choice of teams. I can see NE or San Fran.

kethnaab
02-23-2012, 09:24 AM
do you guys think there is any chance in hell we would sign randy moss?

no.

he doesn't give a damn about staying. He wants to get paid. He's not a team-first guy, he's a glory hound. Why do you think he threw such a tantrum when Lardarius Webb suggested that Antonio Brown was better? Wallace threw an absolute hissy fit like a teenage girl who just got dumped before prom.

1. The Steelers, though, have made significant progress this month to get under the cap. Pittsburgh restructured the contracts of linebackers LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, creating $11.6 million in cap room. The Steelers also freed up $3.5 million in cap space by cutting cornerback Bryant McFadden and wide receiver Arnaz Battle. Those four moves represented a total of $15.1 million in cap room. damn shame we had to do that with Tmimons. How the fukc you gonna pay a ILB $50million, when he can't get off blocks from TEs or call the defense? He provides nothing that can't be found in the 3rd round any season in the draft. Ridiculous. After a good first half in 2010, they decided to pay him to justify the reach they made for him in the 1st round, as if that somehow makes it better. Now, we're stuck having to invest a premium draft choice in ANOTHER ILB who can actually do the job we overdrafted and overpaid Timmons to do.

There's still plenty of work remaining for the Steelers, who are now a projected $10 million over the cap. Here are five players whose 2012 salaries account for $17.4 million, which makes them candidates to get restructured or released: nose tackle Casey Hampton ($4.8 million), wide receiver Hines Ward ($4 million), guard Chris Kemoeatu ($3.5 million), linebacker Larry Foote ($3 million) and defensive end Aaron Smith ($2.1 million). Some of that cap space will go to wide receiver Mike Wallace, a restricted free agent who will get a first-round tender ($2.7 million).

2. I didn't see it posted elsewhere but the Steelers restructures Willie Colon's contract, coverting $3.8M of his salary into bonus money. which is yet another case of nauseating idiocy by our front office. Sheer, unadulterated idiocy. Possibly the worst move the Steelers have made in my lifetime, next to passing on Dan Marino

Spread over his 4 year contract that should give the Steelers a savings of $2.85M for this year. which means we're stuck with that fat sack of garbage for another few years. I cannot even discuss Colon's situation without raging.

3. Sounds like we are a little over 8M over the cap. Aaron Smith retirement saves us ~3M, Hines Ward is another ~4M, Casey Hamtpon is another ~5M-7M (depending on where you read), Foote/Farrior is another ~3M.

I don't see the Ravens going after Wallace. They drafted Torrey Smith to be a depp threat, field stretcher and he has shown potential. He'll want to go to a contender and will likely have his choice of teams. I can see NE or San Fran.

Ravens won't, NE and SF might.

I'll be absolutely livid if we waste the type of cap space from a franchise tender on Wallace. Sheer idiocy. Tender him as a 1st rounder.

Here's the thing. To get Wallace, you need to give up:

Desean Jackson AND your 1st round draft choice
Vincent Jackson AND your 1st round draft choice
Stevie Johnson AND your 1st round draft choice
Marques Colston AND your 1st round draft choice
Brandon Lloyd AND your 1st round draft choice
Dwayne Bowe AND your 1st round draft choice

those WRs are UFAs. You can get one of them for the same $$$ as you get for Wallace, without giving up a 1st rounder. I hope like hell we tender him, and I hope like hell we get someone worthwhile out of the draft for his first round pick. Let someone else pay him $9 million to get shut down by any CB who plays him physical.

Dude's soft as a baby's ass. Bump him at the line and he's done. Talk smack to him like Webb did, and he's done. Force him to make a play while covered and he's done. He won't come back for the ball, won't fight for the ball if it's in the air, and can't get off press coverage to save his life.

jross2021
02-23-2012, 11:00 AM
and he's done. Talk smack to him like Webb did, and he's done. Force him to make a play while covered and he's done. He won't come back for the ball, won't fight for the ball if it's in the air, and can't get off press coverage to save his life.

yeah, then we can get Tommy Streeter early in the 2nd to replace him.. 6'5 with 4.3 speed.. yeah boi, Mike who?

thegenerel
02-23-2012, 11:28 AM
yeah, then we can get Tommy Streeter early in the 2nd to replace him.. 6'5 with 4.3 speed.. yeah boi, Mike who?

4.3 speed? and early 2nd would be a round early. plus to get him there would require trading back or up, and if the Steelers have 2 1sts, Id like to see Hightower + OL

jross2021
02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
4.3 speed? and early 2nd would be a round early. plus to get him there would require trading back or up, and if the Steelers have 2 1sts, Id like to see Hightower + OL

Okay, so i've heard he runs a 4.3 or a 4.4, not sure exactly.. hopefully he's in the combine..

I just desperately want him on the Steelers lol, I wouldn't be opposed to picking up someone like Massie in the second though, lord knows getting 2 lineman in the first 2 rounds wouldn't hurt Pittsburgh.

But yeah, I figured they'd go for Hightower and an O-lineman in first, or at least I hope they would..

thegenerel
02-23-2012, 11:47 AM
yea, I can tell you like Hurricanes, enough to have Jacoby on the Steelers? I just want them to go BPA, so if a guy like Richardson falls, they pretty much have to grab him at 24

jross2021
02-23-2012, 11:51 AM
yea, I can tell you like Hurricanes, enough to have Jacoby on the Steelers? I just want them to go BPA, so if a guy like Richardson falls, they pretty much have to grab him at 24

You mean Jacory? lol, god no.. Brandon Washington? Yes, if we ended up with the Ravens or Pats 1st round pick, then yeah, Brandon Washington would be my choice.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Ben Roethlisberger is the latest Steelers player to restructure his contract.
The move lowers Big Ben's cap number from $16.92 million to $8.895 million, putting the Steelers close to the $120 million limit for 2012. GM Kevin Colbert confirmed Thursday that more salary cap casualties are coming, as the Steelers want to ensure that restricted free agent Mike Wallace stays in Pittsburgh.

- Ben I am impressed! This has GOT to be an indicator, he restructured to keep Wallace around. They cut his cap # in half!

In other news, Leodis McKelvin may be traded for a late round pick. I'd like the move?!

thegenerel
02-26-2012, 01:22 PM
well Streeter ran a 4.40 official, he mightve worked his way out of the Steelers 2nd (I wouldnt want a WR there unless Wallace is lost).

thegenerel
02-26-2012, 01:24 PM
oh lawd

"No surprise the workout warrior Poe put up 225 pounds 44 times."

he might be a bit early at 24, but imagine getting a 1st for Wallace and nabbing Hightower/Poe, that could solve the Front 7 for 5/8/10 years

FormulaLT1poweR
02-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Just cause there was some buzz about him...

Speaking at the Combine Sunday, North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins, who is 23, revealed he has four children under the age of four.
In a very forthcoming presser, Jenkins also confirmed he's been arrested three times and failed a drug test. Jenkins was dismissed from the University of Florida last April following his second marijuana-related arrest, but insists he has been drug-free since. Jenkins' voluminous off-the-field issues surely have him off some teams' draft boards, but he has the talent to be a first-round pick.

I don't think the Steelers will even look at him.

thegenerel
02-26-2012, 03:32 PM
the Steelers wont touch him when there should be guys they like with similar talent to Jenkins available.

jross2021
02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
well Streeter ran a 4.40 official, he mightve worked his way out of the Steelers 2nd (I wouldnt want a WR there unless Wallace is lost).

6'5.. 4.4, i'll take him :p

In other news.. Joe Adams ran a 4.55 lol.jpg

FormulaLT1poweR
02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers "have something of a sense of urgency at inside linebacker," and could target Alabama LB Dont'a Hightower with the No. 24 overall pick.
Hightower said the Steelers are "interested in me" after meeting with them at the Combine. The Post-Gazette considers it "likely" that the Steelers use an early-round pick on an inside linebacker, and believes controversial Arizona State LB Vontaze Burfict will be a possibility.

----I like, I like! But why in the hell are we letting the entire world know we are interested in him? That just screams..."hey Hightower will go @ 24, let's trade up if we want him".

Sporting News draft analyst Russ Lande suggests Memphis NT Dontari Poe may have vaulted himself into the top-12 overall picks after a stunning showing at the NFL Scouting Combine.
Poe possesses movement skills rarely seen among human beings, and his size-athleticism package will be coveted by teams in need of interior pluggers. The Chiefs pick at No. 11, and have a need at nose tackle with incumbent NT Kelly Gregg unsigned for 2012 and likely set to retire. Poe would team with 2011 sixth-round pick Jerrell Powe to give Kansas City two "power pigs" in the middle.

----Looks like Poe won't be "falling" to us after all at 24. If we really want a NT, we will have to move to get him IMO. I don't want it to happen, but I could potentially see it happening.

thegenerel
02-27-2012, 03:31 PM
I dont like Poe enough to move up, and that ILB stuff is funny, they werent going to draft Burfict yesterday, let alone after him skipping the bench and running a 5.0

FormulaLT1poweR
02-27-2012, 03:42 PM
I dont like Poe enough to move up, and that ILB stuff is funny, they werent going to draft Burfict yesterday, let alone after him skipping the bench and running a 5.0

Arizona State LB Vontaze Burfict ran an official forty time of 5.09 at the NFL Scouting Combine.
Burfict slimmed down before the Combine, weighing in at 248 pounds, but it didn't help him at all in workouts. He bombed his media interview and the forty-yard dash, and his game tape was unimpressive in 2011, by all accounts. Burfict is headed for a potentially monster draft-day slide.

After speaking to NFL scouts and assistant coaches at the Combine, CBS Sports' Bruce Feldman suggests Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict is in for a draft-day plunge.
"I'm not sure any player here sparked a worse reaction than Vontaze Burfict," writes Feldman. "I wouldn't touch him," one scout said. "... The guy is completely out of control. There's no way you could trust him. I can't believe they (ASU coaching staff) didn't cut him loose." Added one NFL coach, "You just scratch your head at some of the knucklehead things he does on tape. It was the same thing over and over and over again with him." Feb 27 - 10:50 AM

According to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic, ILB Vontaze Burfict spent most of his Combine media interview "playing the victim" while reporters asked questions about his on- and off-field problems.
Burfict "put some of the blame on the other guy" when asked why he punched a teammate, and "blamed coaches for putting him in and out of the starting lineup" when addressing his poor 2011 on-field play. "The coaches kind of messed me up," he said. "...It hurt me, but I tried to fight through it." Burfict also claimed that reporters "twisted his words" at Arizona State, so he turned down interviews. He didn't accept direct responsibility for any off-field stuff. This was just a media interview, so for Burfict's sake we hope he does better when he talks to teams. Feb 26 - 5:09 PM

One NFL scout told the Arizona Republic that he was unimpressed with Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict's "physique" when Burfict came out of the tunnel early for one of the Sun Devils' 2011 games.
It "was not a good look," the scout said, which won't allay concerns about Burfict's work ethic. The scout did say he'd have an "open mind" when evaluating Burfict at the Combine. The scout conceded that he's "heard all about the guy's problems," both on and off the field at Arizona State. Burfict was originally projected as a first-round pick, but may slip to the end of day two. Feb 22 - 5:41 PM

EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GUY IS NEGATIVE...WE BETTER NOT DO SOMETHING STUPID, AND MAKE HIM A PROJECT.

kethnaab
02-27-2012, 04:20 PM
oh lawd

"No surprise the workout warrior Poe put up 225 pounds 44 times."

he might be a bit early at 24, but imagine getting a 1st for Wallace and nabbing Hightower/Poe, that could solve the Front 7 for 5/8/10 years

getting Poe doesn't solve a thing for us. He's another DE. Just because he weighs alot doesn't mean he's a NT.

I don't think the Steelers will even look at him.

we wouldn't have looked anyway. He'll go to the Bengals

the Steelers wont touch him when there should be guys they like with similar talent to Jenkins available.

might be the best pure cover CB in the class

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers "have something of a sense of urgency at inside linebacker," and could target Alabama LB Dont'a Hightower with the No. 24 overall pick.
Hightower said the Steelers are "interested in me" after meeting with them at the Combine. The Post-Gazette considers it "likely" that the Steelers use an early-round pick on an inside linebacker, and believes controversial Arizona State LB Vontaze Burfict will be a possibility.

----I like, I like! But why in the hell are we letting the entire world know we are interested in him? That just screams..."hey Hightower will go @ 24, let's trade up if we want him".

Sporting News draft analyst Russ Lande suggests Memphis NT Dontari Poe may have vaulted himself into the top-12 overall picks after a stunning showing at the NFL Scouting Combine.
Poe possesses movement skills rarely seen among human beings, and his size-athleticism package will be coveted by teams in need of interior pluggers. The Chiefs pick at No. 11, and have a need at nose tackle with incumbent NT Kelly Gregg unsigned for 2012 and likely set to retire. Poe would team with 2011 sixth-round pick Jerrell Powe to give Kansas City two "power pigs" in the middle.

----Looks like Poe won't be "falling" to us after all at 24. If we really want a NT, we will have to move to get him IMO. I don't want it to happen, but I could potentially see it happening.

I pray to little baby jesus that we wouldn't draft Poe, even if we moved back into the 2nd from the 1st.

jross2021
02-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Well Adams draft stock dropped tremendously.. what are your guys thoughts if we can pick him up late? Although, Travis Benjamin impressed me, pretty sure he ran a 4.36.. anyone have any thoughts on him?

And lol, was it Mitch that said to get Moore? No thanks, i'll take Jacory Harris before him.

thegenerel
02-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Well Adams draft stock dropped tremendously.. what are your guys thoughts if we can pick him up late? Although, Travis Benjamin impressed me, pretty sure he ran a 4.36.. anyone have any thoughts on him?

And lol, was it Mitch that said to get Moore? No thanks, i'll take Jacory Harris before him.

what is late? Adams might not go in the teens or twenties, but it would be a miracle if he gets to the Steelers 2nd round pick.

the Steelers cannot draft everyone from Miami. how productive was he in college? I am tentative re: Streeter b/c he didnt really produce like his ability indicates

Mitch said Moore but late, he is the Chad Bradford of QB's. I guess Iloka looked shaky, very tight today.

jross2021
02-28-2012, 11:28 AM
what is late? Adams might not go in the teens or twenties, but it would be a miracle if he gets to the Steelers 2nd round pick.

the Steelers cannot draft everyone from Miami. how productive was he in college? I am tentative re: Streeter b/c he didnt really produce like his ability indicates

Mitch said Moore but late, he is the Chad Bradford of QB's. I guess Iloka looked shaky, very tight today.

WR's in Miami didn't produce all that well because of the QB situation, and going through different coaches.. I was joking about Harris btw.. but I certainly wouldn't want Moore.

And the only reason I bring up Benjamin is because I think it'd be nice to have someone to take Brown's sports on Kicks/Returns. You think Adams will go that low? Experts were predicting him in the late 2nd/3rd when they thought he ran a 4.3.. then he ran a 4.55, I know it's not everything.. but I wouldn't want him in the 2nd anyway :/

thegenerel
02-28-2012, 11:34 AM
WR's in Miami didn't produce all that well because of the QB situation, and going through different coaches.. I was joking about Harris btw.. but I certainly wouldn't want Moore.

And the only reason I bring up Benjamin is because I think it'd be nice to have someone to take Brown's sports on Kicks/Returns. You think Adams will go that low? Experts were predicting him in the late 2nd/3rd when they thought he ran a 4.3.. then he ran a 4.55, I know it's not everything.. but I wouldn't want him in the 2nd anyway :/

oh I thought you meant Mike Adams, not Joe Adams. Joe will still go 2-3 imo, he produced in college and did well at the SR Bowl, a 4.55 isnt that alarming.

thegenerel
02-29-2012, 03:25 PM
End of an era. definitely sad. Love him or hate him, I always root for guys to spend their entire career with one club.

“We had a conversation today with Hines Ward and informed him that we plan to release him of his contract prior to the start of the 2012 NFL calendar year,” Steelers President Art Rooney II told the team’s website, Steelers.com. “Hines has been an integral part of our success since we drafted him in 1998 and we will forever be grateful for what he has helped us achieve. He has meant so much to this organization, both on and off the field, and we appreciate his efforts over the past 14 years. Hines’ accomplishments are numerous, and he will always be thought of as one of the all-time great Steelers. We wish him nothing but the best.”

Ward was originally drafted by the Steelers in the third round of the 1998 NFL Draft out of Georgia. He spent 14 years in Pittsburgh and became the team’s all-time leader in receptions (1,000), receiving yards (12,083), receiving touchdowns (85) and 100-yard receiving games (29). Ward is the eighth player in NFL history to reach 1,000 career receptions and joined only Hall of Famer Jerry Rice as the only two players in league history to post 1,000 career catches and win multiple Super Bowls.

Ward was the MVP of Super Bowl XL after leading the Steelers to a 21-10 victory over the Seattle Seahawks. He posted a game-high 123 receiving yards on five receptions with one touchdown.

The Steelers’ 2008 Walter Payton Man of the Year, Ward was named to four Pro Bowls (2002-05) and was a member of the team’s 75th Season All-Time Team.

FormulaLT1poweR
02-29-2012, 03:42 PM
End of an era. definitely sad. Love him or hate him, I always root for guys to spend their entire career with one club.

Wow, hopefully he isn't a Raven next year...

thegenerel
02-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Wow, hopefully he isn't a Raven next year...

that would be fine with me, they can pay him to sit on the bench.

kethnaab
02-29-2012, 11:12 PM

2nd? good lord man, Streeter is insanely inconsistent and has issues against press coverage as ewll as some rather particular hands.

eh? Joe Adams is a 3rd rounder

oh I thought you meant Mike Adams, not Joe Adams. Joe will still go 2-3 imo, he produced in college and did well at the SR Bowl, a 4.55 isnt that alarming.

oh, hahaa..yeah, ok.

both Adams and Wright ran painfully slow. very strange.

Thunduh
03-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Damn I'm gonna miss Ward. Wish him the best.

and with all these contact restructures and releases, especially Ward, it shows how much the Steelers really want Wallace. I hope he sees that and takes a little less money, rather than going to another team like the 49ers or Pats for more money. He even said himself, that he wants to stay a Steeler, but it seems he cares more about the money.

edit - if we do end up paying him top dollar, we'll be in the same situation with brown next year, and we'll most likely lose him

thegenerel
03-01-2012, 07:11 AM
2nd? good lord man, Streeter is insanely inconsistent and has issues against press coverage as ewll as some rather particular hands.

Im not saying that Streeter is worth taking in the 2nd but a guy of his size + 4.40 means he may have moved up from the 3rd to the 2nd.

RudeKong
03-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Damn I'm gonna miss Ward. Wish him the best.

and with all these contact restructures and releases, especially Ward, it shows how much the Steelers really want Wallace. I hope he sees that and takes a little less money, rather than going to another team like the 49ers or Pats for more money. He even said himself, that he wants to stay a Steeler, but it seems he cares more about the money.

edit - if we do end up paying him top dollar, we'll be in the same situation with brown next year, and we'll most likely lose him

Nah they will just cut a few more of the older players with bigger contracts next season because in 2014-2015 the cap jumps up like 25 mil or something around that number. There was an article about how this years restructures affect next years cap and it said they look pretty going forward.

Id like to see Hines go to the Texans if anywhere else. I think he would thrive there and have a pretty decent chance on making it far in the playoffs.

thegenerel
03-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Ralph Cindrich ******** @RalphCindrich

Open

Percentages are not w/ #Steelers keeping @JamesFarrior. He wanted to retire a PS but he is healthy & ready-wants to play. Good morning!

canuckathlete
03-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Ralph Cindrich ******** @RalphCindrich

Open

Percentages are not w/ #Steelers keeping @JamesFarrior. He wanted to retire a PS but he is healthy & ready-wants to play. Good morning!

Its kind of sad how ruthless the football business is

jross2021
03-01-2012, 09:47 AM

Ruthless and business go hand in hand.

My friend left his facebook up on my laptop and it's amazing how stupid people are..

Post from facebook:

Ok art rooney, your retarded. You keep ben and get rid of hines ward? Are you kidding me? Hines ward pretty much defined the steelers. I know he's 36 and all but he's still a fantastic player. Idiots.

I question if people even watch the games.

thegenerel
03-01-2012, 09:47 AM

same thing happens in even the most well run companies. when money is tight cuts need to be made. its not like Farrior has been treated poorly or is struggling to feed his family. he has made millions and had a fantastic career. the man is 37, he is lucky to still be playing.

thegenerel
03-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Ruthless and business go hand in hand.

that mentality is why American business culture is falling apart. "oh its nothing personal, its business", bullcrap! it sure as hell is personal for the person you just screwed over

kethnaab
03-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Im not saying that Streeter is worth taking in the 2nd but a guy of his size + 4.40 means he may have moved up from the 3rd to the 2nd.

ah, gotcha.

that mentality is why American business culture is falling apart. "oh its nothing personal, its business", bullcrap! it sure as hell is personal for the person you just screwed over

people take care of business, business would be wise to take care of people. When someone works hard for you because they WANT to, rather than bcause they are FORCED to, the system runs much better

thegenerel
03-01-2012, 11:28 AM
ah, gotcha.

people take care of business, business would be wise to take care of people. When someone works hard for you because they WANT to, rather than bcause they are FORCED to, the system runs much better

if anyone is interested in this topic, check out Joy at Work by Dennis Bakke, very cool. He was on the board at my college and ran an energy company, but what he did was allow the employees to run each plant. like 15-20 people worked together with little corporate influence. pretty interesting, and the employees LOVED their jobs

jross2021
03-01-2012, 11:31 AM
ah, gotcha.

Pittsburgh is tight on the cap, as great as Hines has been, and as much as I love him.. he's not producing like he used to. There is no reason to keep him when they have Wallace, Brown,Sanders.. especially if keeping him means they have a higher chance of losing Wallace. If the Steelers are doing this, it's a tough decision for them obviously..they hold on to players and have always taken care of people.

FormulaLT1poweR
03-01-2012, 11:53 AM
---This is my gripe about the Ward cutting. Why would we NOT resign Wallace then?
ESPN's Adam Schefter confirmed on SportsCenter that the Steelers won't use the franchise tag on restricted free agent Mike Wallace.
Though a sense emerged that the Steelers will keep Wallace after GM Kevin Colbert's comments at the Combine, beat reporter Ed Bouchette hasn't been so sure, and the tender will leave the Steelers susceptible to aggressive, receiver-needy "predators" with late first-round picks. Whereas Wallace would have been locked in with Pittsburgh on the franchise tag, he'll be targeted for restricted free agent offer sheets on the first-round pick tender.

---I like the idea of bringing Cotchery back. I also read somewhere we might go get Early Doucet as well...I'll take him too.
Ben Roethlisberger is pushing for the Steelers to re-sign free agent Jerricho Cotchery now that Hines Ward has been released.
"Without Hines, I think you have to do everything you can to sign Jerricho back," said Roethlisberger. Cotchery played well in limited action as the fourth and fifth receiver last season. If the Steelers don't offer a multi-year contract, he's likely headed for greener pastures as a No. 3 receiver.

---Interesting. This almost screams...we want/need a MLB via the draft/FA.
The agent for ILB James Farrior said Wednesday that he expects the Steelers to release his client.
"It's not a done deal, but the percentages just aren't there," said agent Ralph Cindrich. Farrior, a 15-year veteran and the Steelers' defensive captain for the last eight seasons, is due $2.825 million in 2012. All of that money would come off Pittsburgh's salary cap if he is released. The Steelers have not approached Farrior about a pay cut, and he turned 37 in January.

-------Does anyone know the Steelers CURRENT cap situation w/ #'s and a source?
-------With all these cuts/restructures...does this mean the Steelers could play around with the idea of a few FA?

thegenerel
03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
1) Steelers are about 2.5M under, according to various people, no one is exactly sure. Ward has nothing to do with Wallace, the staff feels he is no longer a good player. Even with cuts Wallace might be too expensive to re-sign. If they get 8-9M under, there are still other players who need signed

2) I want Cotchery back, but he might get a better opportunity/contract length/money elsewhere

3) The Steelers were going to cut Farrior or Foote, I wont be surprised with either

4) No money for FA, the Steelers will be fortunate to hold onto their own, let alone outside guys. it might just be bargain/role players.

kethnaab
03-01-2012, 01:44 PM
ESPN's Adam Schefter confirmed on SportsCenter that the Steelers won't use the franchise tag on restricted free agent Mike Wallace.

nor should we

Though a sense emerged that the Steelers will keep Wallace after GM Kevin Colbert's comments at the Combine, beat reporter Ed Bouchette hasn't been so sure, and the tender will leave the Steelers susceptible to aggressive, receiver-needy "predators" with late first-round picks. Whereas Wallace would have been locked in with Pittsburgh on the franchise tag, he'll be targeted for restricted free agent offer sheets on the first-round pick tender.

if we get a mid-high 1st rounder, we take it and run. Wave g'bye to Wallace.

Ben Roethlisberger is pushing for the Steelers to re-sign free agent Jerricho Cotchery now that Hines Ward has been released.
"Without Hines, I think you have to do everything you can to sign Jerricho back," said Roethlisberger. Cotchery played well in limited action as the fourth and fifth receiver last season. If the Steelers don't offer a multi-year contract, he's likely headed for greener pastures as a No. 3 receiver.

I like Cotch. I don't know if he'll like being a #4.

---Interesting. This almost screams...we want/need a MLB via the draft/FA.
The agent for ILB James Farrior said Wednesday that he expects the Steelers to release his client.
"It's not a done deal, but the percentages just aren't there," said agent Ralph Cindrich. Farrior, a 15-year veteran and the Steelers' defensive captain for the last eight seasons, is due $2.825 million in 2012. All of that money would come off Pittsburgh's salary cap if he is released. The Steelers have not approached Farrior about a pay cut, and he turned 37 in January.

that was decided before last season when Larry Foote started getting way too much playing time. We'll draft an ILB this season and groom him for a season, or perhaps we move Chris Carter to ILB

-------Does anyone know the Steelers CURRENT cap situation w/ #'s and a source?
-------With all these cuts/restructures...does this mean the Steelers could play around with the idea of a few FA?

we're in good shape, but not good enough shape to actually do anything in FA other than backups and role players.

1) Steelers are about 2.5M under, according to various people, no one is exactly sure. Ward has nothing to do with Wallace, the staff feels he is no longer a good player. Even with cuts Wallace might be too expensive to re-sign. If they get 8-9M under, there are still other players who need signed

2) I want Cotchery back, but he might get a better opportunity/contract length/money elsewhere

3) The Steelers were going to cut Farrior or Foote, I wont be surprised with either

4) No money for FA, the Steelers will be fortunate to hold onto their own, let alone outside guys. it might just be bargain/role players.

uh, yeah. basically what general just said. :p

thegenerel
03-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I dont think any team in the 10s will give Wallace an offer. Our best bet is that the suitors are outweighed by the WRs available. Guys that are near Wallace in terms to talent but are UFAs, so teams wont surrender a 1st to get him.

inb4 the Redskins sign him. brb Reiff and Hightower

kethnaab
03-01-2012, 02:02 PM
I dont think any team in the 10s will give Wallace an offer. Our best bet is that the suitors are outweighed by the WRs available. Guys that are near Wallace in terms to talent but are UFAs, so teams wont surrender a 1st to get him.

inb4 the Redskins sign him. brb Reiff and Hightower

Reiff/Hightower
DeCastro/Hightower
win/win

thegenerel
03-01-2012, 02:16 PM
get the Skins 6th and trade back, get a 2nd, and draft DeCastro

kethnaab
03-01-2012, 02:38 PM
get the Skins 6th and trade back, get a 2nd, and draft DeCastro

haha...Dan Snyder doesn't run the Redskins' personnel department anymore, keep dreaming. :p

thegenerel
03-01-2012, 03:18 PM
haha...Dan Snyder doesn't run the Redskins' personnel department anymore, keep dreaming. :p

superimpose Mike Wallace into this video in place of Vick

cu8XNJmQsCI

FormulaLT1poweR
03-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Steelers released DE Aaron Smith.
It was only a matter of time. Turning 36 in April, Smith had managed to suit up for just 15 of 48 games the past three years, failing to finish the season in four of the past five. The 2004 Pro Bowler was due $2.1 million, and the Steelers are still working to free up salary cap space in case RFA Mike Wallace draws a strong offer from another team. It's not clear if Smith, one of the premier 3-4 ends of the past decade, will be welcomed back a reduced rate.

kethnaab
03-01-2012, 03:22 PM
James Farrior and his $3mil cap hit are next.

then Kemo

then...sign Mike Wallace and Aubrayo Franklin.

thegenerel
03-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Steelers told Kemo that he will be cut

FormulaLT1poweR
03-01-2012, 03:26 PM
James Farrior and his $3mil cap hit are next.

then Kemo

Steelers told Kemo that he will be cut

Kemo's gone?

I expect Farrior to be cut tomorrow.

thegenerel
03-01-2012, 03:30 PM
yea the Kemo stuff is coming out now.

kethnaab
03-01-2012, 03:31 PM
no surprises. shoulda been done 3 years ago

damn shame they can't do the same to Colon.

FormulaLT1poweR
03-01-2012, 03:38 PM
yea the Kemo stuff is coming out now.

Steelers released OG Chris Kemoeatu.
The Steelers have dropped from the sixth-oldest NFL roster to the middle of the pack following the releases Kemoeatu, Hines Ward, and Aaron Smith. One of the Steelers top linemen in 2008-2009, knee injuries have turned Kemoeatu into an effective penalty machine the past two seasons. After losing his starting job, the 29-year-old was due $3.577 million in 2012.

WBAcademy
03-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Highlight video I made @ the beginning of the season

youtube.com/watch?v=vrC4QDGqLqE&feature=plcp&context=C34bf75aUDOEgsToPDskLveNPSRcl4QFLXsiVG_PcN

If someone can link the vid that would be cool, can't do it until I have 50 posts.

mjf10
03-01-2012, 03:43 PM

Signing Franklin makes a lot more sense than drafting a NT

FormulaLT1poweR
03-01-2012, 03:46 PM

And how much is he going to require?

thegenerel
03-01-2012, 04:26 PM
And how much is he going to require?

not much, he was decent with the 49ers but signed a 1 year deal in 2011 with the Saints.

FormulaLT1poweR
03-01-2012, 04:44 PM
not much, he was decent with the 49ers but signed a 1 year deal in 2011 with the Saints.

Any reports in Pittsburgh that we want him?

thegenerel
03-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Any reports in Pittsburgh that we want him?

no talk of who wants to sign whom, as players are still under contract.

kethnaab
03-01-2012, 05:22 PM

we need to do both

no talk of who wants to sign whom, as players are still under contract.

right, but LeBeau hates rookies. I'll be shocked if we go into the 2012 season with only McClendon at NT.

jross2021
03-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Good night sweet Farrior

thegenerel
03-02-2012, 12:51 PM
the Yinzers are raging, they think Hines can still play. Im just lol'ing

FormulaLT1poweR
03-02-2012, 04:48 PM
---Wow, went from $25M over to $10M under simply by making things happen. I still think we should "trim the fat" a bit more, Willie Colon and Casey Hampton for starters. Regardless, I think we are sitting okay, but others don't think so:

NFL.com's Mike Lombardi believes the Steelers would be unable to match any offer sheet for restricted free agent Mike Wallace that includes a first-year salary cap cost of $12 million or more.

The Steelers are currently $10 million under the salary cap. They have ways to create more space, but the $12 million first-year cap charge might still be too cumbersome. Pittsburgh could cut its losses and accept a first-round pick as compensation. Lombardi suggests the Bengals making a bid. Cincinnati would surrender its pick at No. 21 overall for the rights to Wallace.

---I've said it time and time again, Wallace will go to Baltimore, New England, Cincinnati or San Fran. I honestly can't imagine starting the season without Ward, Mendenhall AND Wallace. Not to mention the defensive side of the ball. We better hope we keep him, and get Hightower.

---People are starting to franchise DBs (Grimes and Finnegan). Hell the Browns franchised Phil Dawson...LOL!

---March 13th needs to hurry up. I can't wait to see what happens, and where some former Steelers go.

thegenerel
03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I finally complete a season Madden 12 and decide to rebuild.

turns out all the draft classes are pre-set and can be found online. I looked it up and mightve topped the 74 Steelers

- Ward and Farrior retire
- Lebeau retires
- hire Dom Capers as DC, some guy at OC

trade Foote, Aaron Smith, Kemo, Hampton.
sign (and later trade) Braylon Edwards. acquire a ton of picks, Rodney Hudson 81 LG in the Hampton trade
sign Ginn to be KR/PR

drafted BPA in terms of OVR and Potential rating
1) RB Florida essentially a faster, strong Mendy. 81 OVR A Pot - Offensive Playmaker trait
2) MLB Michigan 84 OVR A Pot (rename him Donta Hightower!)

Ill just list the rest by position
QB: Ben 95 / 84 OVR B POT 5th round / 77 OVR B POT 4th - - cut the other QBs
RB: Mendy 87 / 82 OVR 1st round RB / Leshoure 76 B (he was a Free Agent, no clue why) / Baron Batch 72 B
FB: Redman
WR: Wallace 91 / Brown 90 / Sanders 78 / Ginn 73 / Sims-Walker 71
TE: Heath 87 / Saunders 72 / David Johnson 71

LT: Zachary Morris (lol) 82 OVR A POT 3rd / Starks
LG: Hudson 81 / Legursky 73
C: Pouncey 95 / Warren 73
RG: Foster 76 / Boyd 67 OVR B POT 6th round
RT: Colon 82 / Gilbert 79

LE: Hood 74 / Minton 57 A potential **Project player trait**
RE: Kiesel 88 / Heyward 80
NT: Mills 81 A 2nd round / Hoke 72 / McLendon 66

LOLB: Woodley 95 / Carter 67
MLB: Timmons 90 / "Hightower" 85 A 2nd round / Martez Wilson 76 B (no clue why he was sitting in free agency) / Sly 67
ROLB: Harrison 85 / Worilds 79 / Thomas 76 B 4th round (u jelly)

best part of the draft by far
CB: Collins 86 A 6' 199 3rd roun **Shutdown Corner trait** / Taylor 85 / Brown 75 / Lewis 69 / Allen 67
FS: Clark 81 / Arps 79 A 4th round
SS: Polamalu 94 / Spievey (again was a FA for no reason) 84 / McCallister 84 A 4th round

K: 7th round pick who is 83 OVR A potential
P: Sepulveda

dynasty imo, and I didnt edit the ratings!

thegenerel
03-03-2012, 10:27 AM
oh and in the 2011 season (I simmed) the Steelers lost to the Texans in the AFC-Champ game even though Troy, Woodley, Harrison, Hampton were all on IR

FormulaLT1poweR
03-03-2012, 01:04 PM
LOL gotta love Madden teams. I still have Madden 2011, but my team is insane...

I also have Ted Ginn as a KR/PR, and put in him on bubble screen plays ;)

I also found the draft classes, I typically trade out of picks to acquire more. Then draft the Overall Potential A-B guys in the late rounds, lol. Game is so unrealistic...Week 6, you can be 6-0 and swap picks with a team that is 0-6. Off-Season, you can sign the #1 FA, trade him for a 1st Rounder. So many ways to get around the Salary Cap (if you play) with one.

thegenerel
03-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Ive played maybe 2-3 games total in Madden 12, I used to play entire seasons over and over, Im just sick of it I guess. so far my stud CB has a Pick 6 and a few PDs, and "Hightower" has laid out Hillis 2-3 times, has a sack and a INT and its only the 1st half

21Classic
03-03-2012, 01:44 PM
---March 13th needs to hurry up. I can't wait to see what happens, and where some former Steelers go.

So hows the Cardinals farm system going these days? Everything alright I hope. We've got a real good program in place. Let the kids train in Pittsburgh till theyre ripe and in their prime, approximately 34-35 years old, and then call them up to the pros where theyll play for 2 years and then retire.

thegenerel
03-03-2012, 01:51 PM
So hows the Cardinals farm system going these days? Everything alright I hope. We've got a real good program in place. Let the kids train in Pittsburgh till theyre ripe and in their prime, approximately 34-35 years old, and then call them up to the pros where theyll play for 2 years and then retire.

you have a new WR, LG, SDE, and LILB coming your way!

if Vegas put odds on Ward, Kemo, Smith, and Farrior ended up somewhere, what are the odds they go to Arizona? What is the o/u for those 4 signing with the Cardinals?

now all the Wiz era guys are getting old, he wont have ties to the younger guys. what will the Cards do?

FormulaLT1poweR
03-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Ive played maybe 2-3 games total in Madden 12, I used to play entire seasons over and over, Im just sick of it I guess. so far my stud CB has a Pick 6 and a few PDs, and "Hightower" has laid out Hillis 2-3 times, has a sack and a INT and its only the 1st half

Haha nice. I still play games over and over, but not a frequently as I used to. I'm probably going to pick up Madden 2013, since I skipped 2012. Madden 2012 was the first Madden I've ever skipped...LOL.

I like the offseason part more than playing. Free Agency, Trades, Draft, etc is way more fun.

21Classic
03-03-2012, 05:03 PM
you have a new WR, LG, SDE, and LILB coming your way!

if Vegas put odds on Ward, Kemo, Smith, and Farrior ended up somewhere, what are the odds they go to Arizona? What is the o/u for those 4 signing with the Cardinals?

now all the Wiz era guys are getting old, he wont have ties to the younger guys. what will the Cards do?

Lawdy, I dont want to think about it.

on the cereal, Im waiting for the Cards tweet saying Farrior has been in contact with Ken and Graves. We have 3 talented, but green LBs, probably homerism, but I feel they are a future top 5 LB corps. Put in a vet like Farrior and thatd be a wonderful situtation, just for his leadership. As im sure you know, our D coordinator is a Pitt man himself (Horton whos done an incredible job). FYI, Im not saying I want grandpa F coming to AZ, but I wont be surpised if it happens.

Ward isnt happening. If we needed a Dlineman id probably spect' Smith, but we're set ATM.

Kemo- Keep an eye on the draft. If we dont pick up DeCastro or Cordy, then it might be interesting. Hes only 29 and weve got the need.

jross2021
03-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Lawdy, I dont want to think about it.

on the cereal, Im waiting for the Cards tweet saying Farrior has been in contact with Ken and Graves. We have 3 talented, but green LBs, probably homerism, but I feel they are a future top 5 LB corps. Put in a vet like Farrior and thatd be a wonderful situtation, just for his leadership. As im sure you know, our D coordinator is a Pitt man himself (Horton whos done an incredible job). FYI, Im not saying I want grandpa F coming to AZ, but I wont be surpised if it happens.

Ward isnt happening. If we needed a Dlineman id probably spect' Smith, but we're set ATM.

Kemo- Keep an eye on the draft. If we dont pick up DeCastro or Cordy, then it might be interesting. Hes only 29 and weve got the need.

No one has the need for Kemo.. he's so bad cancer patients don't even want him..

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/1720-ba-dum-tss.png

hindes204
03-03-2012, 06:18 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150702674392040

Well said...

jross2021
03-03-2012, 06:21 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150702674392040

Well said...

I can't see the pic for some reason, but the comments are really bothering me :/.. it needed to be done, especially considering the cap situation.. can someone give me cliffs on the picture?

hindes204
03-03-2012, 06:48 PM
I can't see the pic for some reason, but the comments are really bothering me :/.. it needed to be done, especially considering the cap situation.. can someone give me cliffs on the picture?

It was a video of Lynn Swann giving his opinions on the release of Hines Ward.

Cliffs:

Hines was great
He will always be a Steeler
Trust in the Rooneys
You cant make business decisions based on emotions
The Steelers are a great organization

21Classic
03-03-2012, 07:24 PM
No one has the need for Kemo.. he's so bad cancer patients don't even want him..

Too far

Hes not terrible. I just did a 5 second google search, and 3 out of 5 "Best offensive guards" lists had him in the top 10 (usually around 8-9) currently.

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/political-pictures-war-buddies.gif
because its awesome and relevant

FormulaLT1poweR
03-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Hes not terrible. I just did a 5 second google search, and 3 out of 5 "Best offensive guards" lists had him in the top 10 (usually around 8-9) currently.

From the previous page:
The Steelers have dropped from the sixth-oldest NFL roster to the middle of the pack following the releases Kemoeatu, Hines Ward, and Aaron Smith. One of the Steelers top linemen in 2008-2009, knee injuries have turned Kemoeatu into an effective penalty machine the past two seasons. After losing his starting job, the 29-year-old was due $3.577 million in 2012.

Read here:
http://steelerstoday.com/?tag=chris-kemoeatu

No where in the Top 10 - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/positional-rankings/OFF/G
Not even mentioned - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-07-20-nick-mangold-best-interior-linemen_n.htm
Not even in the Top 20 or Mentioned - http://thedctimes.com/2012/02/top-20-nfl-offensive-guards-using-advanced-stats-to-rank-best-ogs/

21Classic
03-03-2012, 09:59 PM
From the previous page:

Read here:
http://steelerstoday.com/?tag=chris-kemoeatu

No where in the Top 10 - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/positional-rankings/OFF/G
Not even mentioned - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-07-20-nick-mandaygold-best-interior-linemen_n.htm
Not even in the Top 20 or Mentioned - http://thedctimes.com/2012/02/top-20-nfl-offensive-guards-using-advanced-stats-to-rank-best-ogs/

Dammit, I missed this weeks edition of SteelersToday. I should keep up on that **** so I dont look foolish.

K, ill take that. I didnt realize hes got penalty issues. Thats team/fan level knowledge that doesnt translate in stats. When hes not committing penalties..rumor is hes pretty good. But, in light of this information, I will pass on him.

Those lists are terrible BTW. The first one is from 09. The 3rd one is one of those super-detailed-game stats ones that come out making no sense. Like Snee isnt even mentioned and we can all agree hes one of the best. Those game-stats lists are always off. Like if you calculate every, statistically, Blaine Gabbert or Alex Smith had a better game than Aaron Rodgers type things. I cant access the 2nd one.

If (when) Wallace leaves, whos your #1WR? Brown?

FormulaLT1poweR
03-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Dammit, I missed this weeks edition of SteelersToday. I should keep up on that **** so I dont look foolish.

K, ill take that. I didnt realize hes got penalty issues. Thats team/fan level knowledge that doesnt translate in stats. When hes not committing penalties..rumor is hes pretty good. But, in light of this information, I will pass on him.

Those lists are terrible BTW. The first one is from 09. The 3rd one is one of those super-detailed-game stats ones that come out making no sense. Like Snee isnt even mentioned and we can all agree hes one of the best. Those game-stats lists are always off. Like if you calculate every, statistically, Blaine Gabbert or Alex Smith had a better game than Aaron Rodgers type things. I cant access the 2nd one.

Dammit, I missed it...didn't realize I was in the Arizona Cardinal Thread. I should keep up on that ****ty team, so I don't look overly intelligent.

I could give a rats ass what lists are terrible, and what lists aren't. Overall, there's a REASON the Steelers let him walk. Seriously, take a look at how HORRIBLE the Steelers OL has been...why on earth would they get rid of someone good at this point? On the same level, aside from Rod Woodson, name one Steelers player that has prospered under a new regime? I don't know, I posted the links that wasn't 2011 or 2012 OG DRAFT rankings, it was like pulling teeth to even come up with those lists...LOL.

When (if) Wallace leaves, Brown will obviously be our #1WR. Obvious answer is obvious.

Let's turn the tables...

If (probably not) Peyton Manning doesn't go to Arizona, who is your #1QB? Kolb?

thegenerel
03-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Too far

[img]http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/political-pictures-war-buddies.gif[/ig]
because its awesome and relevant

he isnt good, he can be above average to good as a run blocker (and pulling) but sucks at pass blocking and takes tons of bad penalties. the steelers dont have one quality guard and he was benched for a 300 lb center

thegenerel
03-03-2012, 10:42 PM

Dammit, I missed it...didn't realize I was in the Arizona Cardinal Thread. I should keep up on that ****ty team, so I don't look overly intelligent.

I could give a rats ass what lists are terrible, and what lists aren't. Overall, there's a REASON the Steelers let him walk. Seriously, take a look at how HORRIBLE the Steelers OL has been...why on earth would they get rid of someone good at this point? On the same level, aside from Rod Woodson, name one Steelers player that has prospered under a new regime? I don't know, I posted the links that wasn't 2011 or 2012 OG DRAFT rankings, it was like pulling teeth to even come up with those lists...LOL.

When (if) Wallace leaves, Brown will obviously be our #1WR. Obvious answer is obvious.

Let's turn the tables...

no clue why he is coming in here acting like this, 3 years isnt long enough I guess.

21Classic
03-03-2012, 10:51 PM
I thought it was due to the cap issue. Didnt know about his penalty issues. Do you know where you guys are now? I think I heard they are now 10mill below with all these cuts. Is that even enough to try and keep Wallace or do they have other issues they need to pay for?

*Acting like what? This is friendly conversation and football speculation. Or is that Im in this thread at all? Feel free to go into the Cards thread, its lonely as **** in there.

Let's turn the tables...

Why are you so mad? Youre clearly flustered as ****. Calm down dude. No point in telling me how bad the Cardinals are, lol, Ive been a fan for awhile. Theres only 2 other cats in the Cardinals thread so I come in here to check in on our future prospects.

Im asking about Brown because I dont know him as well as Wallace and dont know if hes starter potential. You guys could have been targeting a WR in the draft or FA.

I suppose Kolb would be our starter, or Skelton if he beats him out in camp.

thegenerel
03-03-2012, 11:02 PM
I thought it was due to the cap issue. Didnt know about his penalty issues. Do you know where you guys are now? I think I heard they are now 10mill below with all these cuts. Is that even enough to try and keep Wallace or do they have other issues they need to pay for?

*Acting like what? This is friendly conversation and football speculation. Or is that Im in this thread at all? Feel free to go into the Cards thread, its lonely as **** in there.

Why are you so mad? Youre clearly flustered as ****. Calm down dude. No point in telling me how bad the Cardinals are, lol, Ive been a fan for awhile. Theres only 2 other cats in the Cardinals thread so I come in here to check in on our future prospects.

Im asking about Brown because I dont know him as well as Wallace and dont know if hes starter potential. You guys could have been targeting a WR in the draft or FA.

you wont win many friends saying "if/when" Wallace leaves. right now they are 8-10M under then with the RFA tenders about 5 under. so another 5 to Wallace puts him at 7.5M. there will still be some more cuts/restructuring done (Harrison, Hampton)

FormulaLT1poweR
03-04-2012, 07:36 AM

You and I will never know the "true" reason he was cut. Was it performance based? Probably. Was it his cap hit? Probably. It could be a combination of multiple things.

We honestly don't care if you post in here, just quit acting like an idiot. The "If (when) Wallace leaves, Dammnit I missed this weeks edition" comments could clearly be left out. Football news is football news, and when the Cardinals are the Steelers B Squad, then come on in and talk.

Me mad? Nope not at all, but that's the typical misc comment when you've got nothing better to say. If you are talking about emotions, I'm sure you are mad...the James Harrison pick 6, Santonio Holmes tip toe catch, etc. As you can see there's not many more in the Steelers threads, typically it's thegenerel, kethnaab, and myself posting, with a few others joining in occassionally. I'm sure when the draft or FA starts the team threads might pick up a little bit.

Brown is more than capable of being a WR1. He's a better route runner than Wallace. He has better hands than Wallace. He's not as arrogant as Wallace. Take a look at the two's #'s side by side. Almost identical, Wallace had a monster 1st half and dropped off the 2nd half. Brown was quiet the 1st half, but exploded the 2nd half. I'd love to keep Wallace, and I'm sort of pissed we haven't done so already. If we lose Wallace I'm sure we will be looking around for a WR. Cotchery should be resigned, Sanders is under contract. Rumors have it we might sign Early Doucet...

Kolb/Skelton are NEVER going to win a Super Bowl...you and I both know that. And I highly doubt they sign Peyton Manning & Reggie Wayne.

Big7Ben86
03-04-2012, 08:17 PM
ITT: errone mad

thegenerel
03-09-2012, 12:58 PM
possibly the worst thing I have ever looked at. wtf is this?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=68&f=1897&t=8783860

jross2021
03-09-2012, 01:14 PM
possibly the worst thing I have ever looked at. wtf is this?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=68&f=1897&t=8783860

i'm 21 and what is this?

thegenerel
03-09-2012, 01:23 PM
screw it, im reporting that guy, all he does is copy+paste

what does Suh getting a ticket have to do with a mock draft?

kethnaab
03-09-2012, 01:30 PM
general, leopard is kinda like wendall

gotta admit though, I'd be damn happy with that draft. Nailed a bunch of my sleepers late too

thegenerel
03-09-2012, 01:35 PM
yea but that isnt his work it seems, that formatting is copy+paste

kethnaab
03-09-2012, 02:08 PM
yea but that isnt his work it seems, that formatting is copy+paste

oh, it is.

i think he's kinda schitzophrenic or something. I mean, he's really kinda bonkers. Wendell is obviously just..."slow", but this dude is really out there.

kethnaab
03-10-2012, 12:58 PM
AHAHAHAHAA.....

so i found some youtube video on dontari poe...finally.

i saw some mephis on the C-USA website, a game that was shown over here (oddly enough) And on ESPN3.

all 3 games I saw, Poe was NOT impressive. I always questioned why other prospects had a bunch of video up and he didn't, except for workout footage. After seeing what I saw in the games I watched, I had a sneaking suspcion that there was no video highlights posted because he simply DIDN'T HAVE any "high"lights

well here's another game that seems to support my assertion.

g0IaNI-3sw4

he gets pancaked on several occasions, and you see him running around blockers rather than trying to go through them. He runs himself out of plays by showing woefully pitiful gap control (more like "gap abandonment").

No.
Thank.
You.

FormulaLT1poweR
03-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Steve Hutchinson was released by the Vikings today.

I'd love for him to come to Pittsburgh, but we can only dream.

jross2021
03-10-2012, 02:56 PM
AHAHAHAHAA.....

so i found some youtube video on dontari poe...finally.

Kiper thinks he could go 6th to the rams lmao... somehow looks like we'd have to trade up for him anyway

kethnaab
03-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Kiper thinks he could go 6th to the rams lmao... somehow looks like we'd have to trade up for him anyway

yeah, let's trade up for a guy who got his ass handed to him repeatedly by Junior College-level teams

he looks good wearing shorts on a track against a stopwatch.
he looks like ass in pads on a field, against football players.

jross2021
03-10-2012, 03:46 PM
yeah, let's trade up for a guy who got his ass handed to him repeatedly by Junior College-level teams

he looks good wearing shorts on a track against a stopwatch.
he looks like ass in pads on a field, against football players.

lol I know, I called out Mel Kiper on twitter but he never responded :(.. Poe was a borderline 1st rounder then the combine happened and people think he's a top 10, sure fire pro browler.

kethnaab
03-10-2012, 03:51 PM
he's a reach in the 2nd round. He's a prospect whose "upside" is based solely on what he did in shorts, not on what he did on the football field against marginal competition

at least Ta'amu showed that he could dominate against tpo competition.

kethnaab
03-11-2012, 08:17 AM
so I'm the assistant GM in FFMD12, a mock draft "competition" on another website, where you basically take over as the team's front office during the offseason and make moves and such.

We lost Wallace (The frickin' Patriots offered Wallace $15 million/season!?!?!?!) but we added Demetrius Bell (Buffalo LT) and Aubrayo Franklin (NT)

here's how the draft board went down (I traded down a few times):

Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama
Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
Bobby Massie, OT, Ole' Miss
Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana-Lafayette
Trenton Robinson, FS, Michigan State
Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas
Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M
Hebron Fangupo, NT, BYU
Devon Wylie, WR/KR, Fresno State

UDFA:
Scott Solomon, OLB, Rice
Miles Burris, OLB, San Diego State University
Chigbo Anunoby, DE, Morehouse

rather pleased with the overall pull. I caught some hell for drafting Zeitler @ 1.31 until we found out that there were several teams that were going to draft him within the next 10-15 picks.

jross2021
03-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama
Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
Bobby Massie, OT, Ole' Miss

A guard and a tackle in the first 2 rounds? Hnnnnnnnnnngh

kethnaab
03-11-2012, 02:00 PM
A guard and a tackle in the first 2 rounds? Hnnnnnnnnnngh

damn straight. :D

hindes204
03-12-2012, 09:25 AM
I think Poe goes to Carolina at #9, their run defense was terrible last year and his stock has risen tremendously since the combine. I agree with everyone else in here though, I think he's overrated. I would love to go Oline in the first but people like Cordy Glenn and Jonathan Martin will be gone and just aren't with trading up for.

I guess I have to agree with the other 90% of the "experts" and say we get Hightower in the first, especially after releasing Farrior.

kethnaab
03-12-2012, 09:45 AM
I guess I have to agree with the other 90% of the "experts" and say we get Hightower in the first, especially after releasing Farrior.

i'd be pleasantly surprised if we actually went with Hightower.

thegenerel
03-12-2012, 09:48 AM
so I'm the assistant GM in FFMD12, a mock draft "competition" on another website, where you basically take over as the team's front office during the offseason and make moves and such.

We lost Wallace (The frickin' Patriots offered Wallace $15 million/season!?!?!?!) but we added Demetrius Bell (Buffalo LT) and Aubrayo Franklin (NT)

what pick numbers did you have? that puts the Steelers having Gilbert, Colon, Bell, and Massie.

but I dont know if its even possible for the Patriots to give him $15M/yr after franchising Welker.

hindes204
03-12-2012, 09:51 AM
i'd be pleasantly surprised if we actually went with Hightower.

Me too! But watching the draft for the past 20 years or so I've learned that when there is such an overwhelming consensus like there is with Hightower going to Pittsburgh, it's pretty likely that it won't happen.

kethnaab
03-12-2012, 09:52 AM
what pick numbers did you have? that puts the Steelers having Gilbert, Colon, Bell, and Massie.

but I dont know if its even possible for the Patriots to give him $15M/yr after franchising Welker.

2.56 (traded for 2.62 and 3.94)

thegenerel
03-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Im now a bit worried about Wallace, if he hits FA then I think he gets a huge offer and leaves.

jross2021
03-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Me too! But watching the draft for the past 20 years or so I've learned that when there is such an overwhelming consensus like there is with Hightower going to Pittsburgh, it's pretty likely that it won't happen.

Well the organization knows what they're doing.. and I wouldn't be disappointed with a lineman. Also have a bad feeling about the Lions snatching him up.

Im now a bit worried about Wallace, if he hits FA then I think he gets a huge offer and leaves.

I was worried.. but it's gonna happen or not.. if it does, just hope it's by a team with a high draft pick :/

hindes204
03-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Well the organization knows what they're doing.. and I wouldn't be disappointed with a lineman. Also have a bad feeling about the Lions snatching him up.

I was worried.. but it's gonna happen or not.. if it does, just hope it's by a team with a high draft pick :/

I would love a lineman, but like I said above, I think they all go too early and we won't trade up for any of them. As far as Wallace, I think he stays a Steeler. And if he doesn't, I think Brown is ready to step up into the #1 spot

thegenerel
03-12-2012, 10:12 AM

if a late round team does it, hopefully its 49ers. I would not be happy to see him in NE or Baltimore.

hindes204
03-12-2012, 10:16 AM
if a late round team does it, hopefully its 49ers. I would not be happy to see him in NE or Baltimore.

I'm hoping the 49ers grab Vincent Jackson instead of giving up a 1st rounder for Wallace. I think if that happens, Wallace will be in the Black and Gold next year.

kethnaab
03-12-2012, 10:40 AM

yep.

welcome to the 1k club

not worried. there's a good half dozen receivers that won't cost a 1st AND $10m/season

if he goes to Baltimore, he won't make it through the first game against us. Ryan Clark will lay him out and Wallace won't get back up.

I'm hoping the 49ers grab Vincent Jackson instead of giving up a 1st rounder for Wallace. I think if that happens, Wallace will be in the Black and Gold next year.

I'm meh on WRs. Wallace is a deep threat. He's fast. I'd like if he stayed as a Steeler WR, but I don't think he is worth $10 million/season, or even close.

jross2021
03-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Eric Winston just got released.. motherofgod.

thegenerel
03-13-2012, 08:41 AM
5h 15m and then Mike Wallace is no longer a Steeler :(

kethnaab
03-13-2012, 09:15 AM
5h 15m and then Mike Wallace is no longer a Steeler :(

???

thegenerel
03-13-2012, 09:23 AM
???

4pm is the start of free agency, where he will be a RFA and get PAID. damn, this is gonna suck if he leaves.

jross2021
03-13-2012, 09:33 AM
4pm is the start of free agency, where he will be a RFA and get PAID. damn, this is gonna suck if he leaves.

I almost want the Browns to take him.. dat #4 pick.

thegenerel
03-13-2012, 09:44 AM

would you trade Wallace for Blackmon?

jross2021
03-13-2012, 09:45 AM

No, but if someone has to take him, i'd rather get Blackmon in return.

I want the Steelers to re-sign him:(.. and I really don't want him in the AFC North, but i've heard rumors of the Browns trading down anyway.. so if they don't really have anyone they're targeting, it'd make since for them to sign him :/

kethnaab
03-13-2012, 10:10 AM

oh, I thought you were saying he was already offered or something. 0.o

yep

nope, but I darn sure would trade him for Morris Claiborne, or even better, I'd trade him for the 1.09 and 2.41, which would probably net me David DeCastro and Kevin Zeitler.

So, "bye bye" Mike Wallace, "Hello" interior OL of DeCastro-Pouncey-Zeitler....

HNNNGNNGGGGGGGGGGNNNGGGGGGGGGG.......

hindes204
03-13-2012, 10:11 AM
I still say Wallace stays. In order for someone to grab him, they not only have to give us a first round draft pick, but also give him a contract we cannot match. They would have to give him something assinine like $9 million a year. I don't think it happens. There is a reason first round tenders usually stay with the team, it's too expensive to pull them away.

And thanks for putting me over 1K Kethnaab...stay safe over there

kethnaab
03-13-2012, 10:19 AM
if it's $9M/year, I bet we match. I don't think we'll do double digits, but perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part

canuckathlete
03-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Looks like he's not going to SF although Moss, Wallace, Crabtree, Davis would be insane

Eric Winston just got released.. motherofgod.

He'd be a nice pipe dream, but if the Texans released him for the cap space, I can't see Pitt jumping in

hindes204
03-13-2012, 10:24 AM
if it's $9/year, I bet we match. I don't think we'll do double digits, but perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part

It would have cost them $9.5 to franchise him, I think of they wanted to spend that much they would have gone that route. If he gets an offer of 9 or above he's gone

hindes204
03-13-2012, 01:56 PM
5 minutes until sh*t gets real...

thegenerel
03-13-2012, 01:59 PM
5 minutes until sh*t gets real...

just did, the Bears traded 2 3rds for Brandon Marshall

hindes204
03-13-2012, 03:00 PM
just did, the Bears traded 2 3rds for Brandon Marshall

Good for the Bears, terrible for the Dolphins. I don't get it at all, they got him for 2 2nds, and now have no #1 receiver. There's got to be more to it, he must've been a real problem in the locker room

FormulaLT1poweR
03-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Good for the Bears, terrible for the Dolphins. I don't get it at all, they got him for 2 2nds, and now have no #1 receiver. There's got to be more to it, he must've been a real problem in the locker room

His comments at the Pro Bowl this year, probably didn't help the cause?

ramsgoldberg61
03-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Starting to miss Football :( feelsbadman.jpeg

Almost at the point where I'm gonna start watching reruns and pretend they're real (semi srs)

FormulaLT1poweR
03-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Any buzz in/around Pittsburgh about potential additions/losses?

Seems like WR's are getting PAID...

hindes204
03-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Any buzz in/around Pittsburgh about potential additions/losses?

Seems like WR's are getting PAID...

We never really make that big of a splash in FA, and all of the receivers getting scooped up so quickly bodes well for us. The sooner all of the teams address their WR needs, the less likely it is for someone to offer Wallace huge money + 1st rounder to leave Pgh

ElMariachi
03-13-2012, 04:22 PM
We never really make that big of a splash in FA, and all of the receivers getting scooped up so quickly bodes well for us. The sooner all of the teams address their WR needs, the less likely it is for someone to offer Wallace huge money + 1st rounder to leave Pgh

49ers are in talks with Wallace right now.

Just ****ing with ya.

maybe.

FormulaLT1poweR
03-13-2012, 04:23 PM

Being a Steelers fan for 27 years, I realize we don't make a "big splash in FA", however there is money there, and cheap players out there that can fill a need.

After seeing what everyone is doing w/ the WRs, Wallace is as good as gone...if not this year, than next.

hindes204
03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Being a Steelers fan for 27 years, I realize we don't make a "big splash in FA", however there is money there, and cheap players out there that can fill a need.

After seeing what everyone is doing w/ the WRs, Wallace is as good as gone...if not this year, than next.

I see it differently and still say Wallace stays. I can't tell you what will happen next year.

And what does being a fan for 27 years have to do with anything, I never questioned your Steeler knowledge, merely pointing out a well known fact. Ive been a fan since birth, grew up 10 minutes from three rivers, and been to more games than I can count. None of that matters in this conversation...I'm confused.

FormulaLT1poweR
03-13-2012, 07:53 PM
I see it differently and still say Wallace stays. I can't tell you what will happen next year.

And what does being a fan for 27 years have to do with anything, I never questioned your Steeler knowledge, merely pointing out a well known fact. Ive been a fan since birth, grew up 10 minutes from three rivers, and been to more games than I can count. None of that matters in this conversation...I'm confused.

Calmdownbro.jpg

I'm just saying after 27 years of being a fan, I'm accustom to free agency being very minimal. I can remember Bettis and Deuce being our "biggest" (no pun intended) FA signings. Like you, keth and generel I'm very content with this approach because of it's "success", I'm moreso concerned about 1. Wallace and 2. Why did we create so much space if we aren't going to use it?

jross2021
03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
1. Wallace and 2. Why did we create so much space if we aren't going to use it?

i'd guess 2 has something to do with 1.

FormulaLT1poweR
03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
A league source tells Profootballtalk.com free agent TE Kellen Davis has visits lined up with the Cowboys, Steelers and Bengals.
The 2008 fifth-round pick finally found a role as a receiver last season, hauling in 18 catches for 206 yards and five touchdowns. Davis is only an average blocker, but could see his market develop nicely thanks to his strong hands and above-average athleticism. Bears coach Lovie Smith is on the record as wanting Davis back in Chicago.

hindes204
03-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Calmdownbro.jpg

I'm just saying after 27 years of being a fan, I'm accustom to free agency being very minimal. I can remember Bettis and Deuce being our "biggest" (no pun intended) FA signings. Like you, keth and generel I'm very content with this approach because of it's "success", I'm moreso concerned about 1. Wallace and 2. Why did we create so much space if we aren't going to use it?

Sry man, rough day at work, I've been snapping at everyone today

Anyway, I think the creating of space was needed even without thinking about Wallace, and clearing so much just gave them the best chance "just in case"

I guess I'm a little less concerned about Wallace because he is a restricted free agent. Looking at history, not very many leave. Although, you could make the argument that Wallace is a one in a million shot for teams that can afford to lose a first rounder while paying him loads of money.

I still say he's a Steeler this year. Next year is gonna be rough though

thegenerel
03-14-2012, 08:25 AM
lets rally and kill off the bears so we can end this thread.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139622773&page=48

also, vote for the buccos

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931071&page=7

kethnaab
03-14-2012, 08:34 AM
It would have cost them $9.5 to franchise him, I think of they wanted to spend that much they would have gone that route. If he gets an offer of 9 or above he's gone

because this season was a fat WR FA market, and Wallace would've been a lot more vulnerable next sesaon. If they franchised him this season, that'd be a HUGE franchise tag next season if we tried to do it again

also, no team in the last 10 years has given up their 1st for a RFA to my knowledge. Mike Wallace damn sure isn't special enough to make it happen.

jross2021
03-14-2012, 08:37 AM
also, no team in the last 10 years has given up their 1st for a RFA to my knowledge. Mike Wallace damn sure isn't special enough to make it happen.

I really hope not, but teams are doing some stupid **** this season.. I'm starting to feel more and more like he'll end up staying though

thegenerel
03-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Im now of the belief that Wallace is here for one more year and leaves in 2013. He will want more than VJax + the cap will rise a lot

I almost would rather lose him now and get a 1st than keep him a year and get nothing.

Srs Thread
03-14-2012, 09:21 AM
honestly i don't believe it is smart to keep wallace with a long term deal at the price we will have to pay him. I'd rather get a first rounder than a 1 year rental of Wallace or a 5 year cap crippling deal...

Srs Thread
03-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Im now of the belief that Wallace is here for one more year and leaves in 2013. He will want more than VJax + the cap will rise a lot

I almost would rather lose him now and get a 1st than keep him a year and get nothing.

edit: just read this. strong thinking alike lol

kethnaab
03-14-2012, 09:40 AM

jacknicholsonnodsyesyesyes.gif

now you're catching on.

franchising a one-trick pony WR who will never be more than a WR2 is silly. He can't take over games. He is irrelevant in the red zone. He doesn't win jump balls. He doesn't catch contested passes. Teams found out the key to stopping him - hit him off the line, drop a safety deep. Bye bye Mikey.

Best deep threat in the game, but he's not even as good an overall WR as a guy like Victor Cruz, who does a great job adjusting to throws.

Why did Wallace drop off the last half of the season? 2 reasons

1. Teams figured out the above (physical + roll safety)

and more importantly

2. Ben's injury prevented him from throwing borderline perfect deep balls

Wallace DOES. NOT. ADJUST.

He doesn't adjust to the ball midair. If it's not thrown near perfect, he rarely catches it. Yes, he had a sick catch earlier in the season, but the # of times he doesn't adjust at all is ridiculous. That throw near the end of the KC game where Bowe alligator armed the ball and caught hell for it? That's Wallace. That throw in the SB where he SAW Ben get his arm knocked, and he did nothing to adjust to it, and jogged toward Nick Collins to "try" to stop him from returning the pick 6?

That's Wallace.

That tantrum Wallace threw when Ladarius Webb dared suggest that Brown is a better WR?
That tantrum Wallace threw in the damn Super Bowl on the last (failed) drive?
That disappearing act he has done in the postseason (16 receptions, 141 yards, 1 TD....in 4 games, average of 4/45/ 0.25 per postseason game)?
Those 2 Super Bowls we've won with Ben WITHOUT Wallace, and that Super Bowl we lost WITH Wallace?

You spend $9-10M on a player who can carry you to a victory. Santonio Holmes has carried us to victories on several occasions. Please, name one time when Wallace carried the team? One single game where HE was the difference between winning and losing.

Ask yourself this. Who benefits more from whom? Do the Steelers benefit more from Wallace's speed, or does Wallace benefit more from Ben's tendency to throw deep and his cannon arm?

I'm hoping like heck that a team in the mid-range offers us a 1st. First twisted ankle or sore hamstring or bumped knee he gets, he is reduced to irrelevancy. A guy like Marques Colston is still extremely effective because he's a WR. He's not a 1-trick pony. Wallace loses a step, and he's done.

thegenerel
03-14-2012, 10:01 AM
I just repped Srs Thread to 13087

its a sign!

kethnaab
03-14-2012, 10:45 AM
I just repped Srs Thread to 13087

its a sign!

oh lawd...being a pens fan has been SOOOOOOOOOOOO painful....the tease of having the greatest hockey player on the planet miss so many games due to strange heath issues.

thegenerel
03-14-2012, 10:48 AM
oh lawd...being a pens fan has been SOOOOOOOOOOOO painful....the tease of having the greatest hockey player on the planet miss so many games due to strange heath issues.

even better news, Martin will definitely return tomorrow and Letang is very likely. 100% healthy once again!

Big7Ben86
03-14-2012, 02:45 PM
brb joining the student rush line now for crosbys return

anyone goin to the game tomorrow?

thegenerel
03-14-2012, 02:54 PM
brb joining the student rush line now for crosbys return

anyone goin to the game tomorrow?

good luck making it to New York

Srs Thread
03-14-2012, 03:10 PM
post 2000