PDA

View Full Version : My Battle vs. Muscle Atrophy

PaLftr
09-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Gonna go on a low calorie diet [lower than people here like] and Follow Rippetoes starting strength program tomorrow.

I'm sick of procrastinating.

It's time to get the ball rolling again and get **** done.

I'm posting an updated pic on Oct. 1st.

I will log food and workouts here.
Nothing fancy. I just need to get my ass back in gear.

There's no need for replies til I make some awesome progress. Keep fighting the fight guys.

FrostFox
09-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Gonna go on a low calorie diet [lower than people here like] and Follow Rippetoes starting strength program tomorrow.

Do not go lower than

bodyweight * 15 - bodyweight * bodyfat % * 31 = minimum calories

Or else you will lose muscle.

Rippetoes, the program I've been on for the past 2 months or so, requires that you eat a lot and get at least 1g protein per pound of bodyweight. If you're on low cals, don't expect gains, just be happy to be able to maintain your strength.

Good luck!

PaLftr
09-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Yup, thanks man. I've been at this a long time and unfortunately I'm very familiar with not being able to gain while cutting :p

Anyway, my intranetzz has been down for the last few days, hence no updates.

I've been eating more than usual for my first few days of Rippetoes, but I'm gonna start tapering back down. I'm well overdue to be lean.

Personally I've learned over the years that my body can tolerate very low cals w/o muscle atrophy that I'm aware of. With 125lbs lost, I've only lost 3/8 of an inch off my arms which I know for a fact was fat looking back at pics.

I was into the whole idea of doing a little clean bulk then I started thinking about having sex with my shirt off and being comfortable, so I decided against the clean bulk.

Monday:

Rippetoes Routine A;
3x5 squat - 155lbs [yes weak, yes never worked legs, yes 20" quads :(:(]
3x5 bench - 50lb DB 5 reps, 4 reps, 3 reps. Lower weight next time.
1x5 deads - 205lbs

I'm super weak, but it can only get better. Despite my lameness, I'm really liking the routine.

- tues off

Wednesday;
Rippetoes Routine B;
3x5 squat - 165lbs [was still sore from mon. all reps completed though]
3x5 standing military press....75lbs lol :(
3x5 Pendlay rows - 135lbs. [sloppy form, less weight next time]

Nutrition has probably been in the 2400 calorie range. I'll start counting on Fitday again soon.

Let the cut continue!

PaLftr
09-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Well the low calorie diet hasn't been happening too much. I'll have to fix that...

Thurs was off

Friday did Routine A
Squat - 4x5 155lbs focusing on going deeper
Bench - 45lb DB all reps completed
Dead - 215x4 lower back starting feeling a bit off during 4th rep so called it quits.

saturday today. will probably go do some arms, delts and calves.

Update:

Did failure sets for bis and tris.
Didn't keep an exact record of what I did but god it was good to get a pump.

PaLftr
09-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Well after my intense Hypertrophy arm day on saturday [which was a random decision and i won't do it again] I was unable to train on monday as scheduled.

So I bumped it back to...

Tuesday; Rippetoes B
3x5 squat - 155lbs focusing more on form - all completed
3x5 standing military - 95lbs - 2 sets of 4, 1 set of 3.
3x5 pendlay rows - 115lbs [weight drop for good form]

The workout was okay except for the military press, but i'm going to be stubborn and stay at 95lbs til I complete the 3x5. I'll tell you what...95lbs is nothing doing seated military, but when you're standing, it's a whole nother ball game.

Thursday; Rippetoes A
3x5 squats 185lbs [not deep enough]
3x5 bench 50lb DB - all but last rep
1x5 deadlift 215lbs - all completed

Today was awesome. All PR's. I just need to keep working on that squat form. [new squatter]

I'm keeping calories right around maintenance, and strength is going up, so that's awesome. I'm currently weighing in at 183lbs, down about 2.5lbs from last monday.

Will post pic on oct 1st. I don't see there being much difference but we'll see.