PDA

View Full Version : Maltitol in "Sugar-Free" Products

Brer Ben
04-24-2005, 04:17 PM
for the last several months I've not been able to go a day without having to crap out everything I've eaten the day before, which has really been leaving me with a tremendous loss of energy during Track practice after school. I've still made gains, but it has just been killing me to have to go to Track practice without any energy and with a voracious hunger after I get home every day. Decreasing my fiber intake and drinking a little less water didn't work, but after reading up on an article here on bb.com about the sugar alcohol known as "Maltitol" in your typical "sugar-free" bread, I nailed the problem. My "Nature's Own Sugar-Free Bread" that I have been eating for the longest time contained Maltitol and was acting as a laxative, and after eliminating this from my diet, I was able to actually control my bowel movements and felt a lot better during the day. I had been consuming about 6g of Maltitol daily with the bread.

so what I'm trying to say is that from my experience from this, I do not recommend the Nature's Own brand of "sugar-free" bread to anyone that tends to already have a fast enough metabolism. Maltitol sucks

anyone else ever had this problem?

Jeff20B
04-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Thankfully I haven't. I'm weary of any suger-free product. Thanks for the post.

MynameisMike
04-24-2005, 04:23 PM
I got these sugar-free cookies on vacation once and on the box it says overconsumption may act as a laxative.

Well...I ate the whole box :)

I was in the bathroom for plenty of hours that night.
Never gonna go through that again.

El_Animal
04-24-2005, 04:58 PM
lol #3

good post. I didn't read that article but then again I don't have that problem.

Jeff20B
04-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Sorbitol is often in suger-free products and can have a laxative effect if consumed in large quantities.

Falkon
04-24-2005, 10:31 PM
What's really bad is some of the protein bars that have like 20+ g of sugar alcohol.

thajeepster
04-24-2005, 10:49 PM
I used to chew a ton of wrigleys "extra" sugar free gum and had the same problem... i dont do that anymore :D

MattM
04-25-2005, 02:19 AM
that small amount of maltitol really bothered you that much? Some of those low carb bars contain almost 20 grams in one bar. Ive always hated maltitol because its still pretty high on the GI, erythritol is the best.

US_Ranger
04-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Sorbitol is often in suger-free products and can have a laxative effect if consumed in large quantities.

Hmmm, I was going to buy some syrup that had sorbitol in it. I guess I won't be doing that......

thajeepster
04-25-2005, 09:55 AM
if you want syrup, i'd recommend davinci sugar free pancake syrup... its pretty thick and tastes great... 0 cals and like 20mg sodium... cant beat it.