PDA

View Full Version : potatoes?

MOD
07-24-2002, 01:59 PM
okay, I know this might sound like a dumb question, but how great are potatoes besides being dirt cheap? do the have any bodybuilding benefits?

Kill Shot
07-24-2002, 02:58 PM
Great source for carbs and if you get a few bags of them, you can lift them too :)

EricS
07-24-2002, 03:08 PM
well you have to be carefull of what kind you buy because of their different glycemic indexes. simple white potatoes will raise yor blood sugar and insulin levels just like dextrose, and the consequent insulin crash is not far behind.

for the record, 1 white potatoe w/skin, 4 eggs and crushed flax seeds jack my blood sugar from 85mg/dl to 195 mg/dl.

and thats with fiber and fat!

simple potatoes would be good for the couple of hours after a work out, but not any other time of the day.

If you are a potatoe man, stick to sweet potatoes, red/new potatoes and fingerling potatoes.

Tim
07-24-2002, 03:13 PM
Wow, I didn't know that the GI of potatoes would still be that high even when eaten with protein and fat, as protein and fat lower the glycemic index of carbs when eaten with them. Potatoes are good for bulking IMO, because they are very calorie dense, but make sure that you eat a large portion of protein with them so that the overall glycemic index of the meal is not too high.

MeImmortal1
07-25-2002, 06:59 AM
Potatoes...NOOOOO !!! It's better to eat apples, they are actually low glycemic as opposed to tata's. The sweet tata's n' yam things are ok but who likes to eat them? Yuck... If you like these kinda carbs, have plain oats or shredded wheat, they're much better for you.... Even better..forgo em all and get with green leafy veggies, spinnach, broccoli, those are truly the best carbs and most are low on the glycemic index and high in dietary fiber. You can search online for a list of foods and how high or low they are, u'de be surprised at some stuff, i always thought tata's were cool coz they were so raw and natural, but they are mad high and so are most fruits.

Tim
07-25-2002, 08:20 AM
It would kind of hard to get sufficient carbs from just green leafy vegetables when trying to gain mass though. But you are right, sweet potatoes and oats are better than regular potatoes, and these carbs are probably the best sources of carbs when bulking.