PDA

View Full Version : Constipation Remedy?

keninottawa
04-16-2005, 05:39 AM
Hey folks

For the past couple of weeks I've been unusually constipated. I carefully monitored my water and fibre intake (not that I don't usually get more than enough of either), and when the problem persisted I went to visit my doctor. She told me that my high-protein diet was probably to blame, and that it isn't unusual for people who have high protein intakes to experience occasional constipation, no matter their fibre intakes. She gave me a laxative with a stool softener included to try for a little while. The first couple of nights that I used it it worked well, and I didn't use it for a third night in a row. However, it has now been three days since I've passed anything, and even despite taking the laxative last night, I'm still feeling clogged up.

Has anyone had similar problems to this? How long did the problem take to pass and how did you get on the road to recovery?

Again, I'm positive that my fibre and water intakes are more than adequate (I've even been including wheat bran, with its 13 grams of fibre per serving, in my post-workout shake).

Thanks

uhockey
04-16-2005, 06:10 AM
Hey folks

For the past couple of weeks I've been unusually constipated. I carefully monitored my water and fibre intake (not that I don't usually get more than enough of either), and when the problem persisted I went to visit my doctor. She told me that my high-protein diet was probably to blame, and that it isn't unusual for people who have high protein intakes to experience occasional constipation, no matter their fibre intakes. She gave me a laxative with a stool softener included to try for a little while. The first couple of nights that I used it it worked well, and I didn't use it for a third night in a row. However, it has now been three days since I've passed anything, and even despite taking the laxative last night, I'm still feeling clogged up.

Has anyone had similar problems to this? How long did the problem take to pass and how did you get on the road to recovery?

Again, I'm positive that my fibre and water intakes are more than adequate (I've even been including wheat bran, with its 13 grams of fibre per serving, in my post-workout shake).

Thanks

Fiber is NOT a laxative but instead a stool bulking agent which works by retaining fluid in the gut lumen. While decent levels of fiber are more or less essential to good mass movement, too much fiber will often make you feel bloated and "constipated." Try cutting back a little bit on the fiber for a couple days (especially in the PWO shake where it is absolutely a no-no) and see how that treats you.

keninottawa
04-16-2005, 07:04 AM
^ That's not a half bad idea. I have, in fact, been taking something called 'Benefibre' for the past week or so, so I'll cut that out altogether and lay off on the wheat bran for a while.

How about whey protein? Although I have been taking whey concentrates for over a year with no problems, I have been using ON for about a month and a half now, just as my bowel problems started. I e-mailed Optimum to see if their 100% whey blend has been known to cause constipation, and they said they couldn't be sure. Should I try an isolate for a little bit?

Iceman00
04-16-2005, 07:12 AM
If your ass is leakin', your bathroom must be stinkin' , diarrhea..diarrhea.

uhockey
04-16-2005, 07:17 AM
^ That's not a half bad idea. I have, in fact, been taking something called 'Benefibre' for the past week or so, so I'll cut that out altogether and lay off on the wheat bran for a while.

How about whey protein? Although I have been taking whey concentrates for over a year with no problems, I have been using ON for about a month and a half now, just as my bowel problems started. I e-mailed Optimum to see if their 100% whey blend has been known to cause constipation, and they said they couldn't be sure. Should I try an isolate for a little bit?

A lot of people can develop transient lactose intolerances, but that generally causes diarrhea, not constipation. Excessive protein consumption DOES cause constipation in some while I personally get a lot of bloat from ON's whey. Never had the problem with Dymatize and certainly have had no issues with my current products of choice: Ergopharm's GF-Pro, Primaforce Substance WPI, and IsoPure Zero Carb.

keninottawa
04-16-2005, 08:12 AM
A lot of people can develop transient lactose intolerances, but that generally causes diarrhea, not constipation. Excessive protein consumption DOES cause constipation in some while I personally get a lot of bloat from ON's whey. Never had the problem with Dymatize and certainly have had no issues with my current products of choice: Ergopharm's GF-Pro, Primaforce Substance WPI, and IsoPure Zero Carb.

It's not so much of a bloat (although there has been mild fullness from time to time) as not being able to pass anything. Do you think I should give those trial packets of IsoPure a try anyways?

rockstarsar
04-16-2005, 09:32 AM
How much water are you drinking?

RipStone
04-16-2005, 10:23 AM
sometimes you just need a little help getting thing moving again. at health food stores they have tea that is supposed to help with constipation. you drink it and then within 8 hours you will go. dont abuse laxitives and tea like this cus your body can get used to it and it can mess up your system. just use it once to get things flowin again.

Deadhead94
04-16-2005, 10:24 AM
Go to Safeway and Buy Mineral Water, or Mineral Oil. It is an effective laxative, helps clean out your system.

keninottawa
04-16-2005, 12:16 PM
How much water are you drinking?

I don't measure my intake, but I'm having a large glass of water every waking hour plus with my major meals...

gerbouze
04-16-2005, 01:19 PM
You should try a cure of oxypowder, make a search on google.

keninottawa
04-16-2005, 03:11 PM
You should try a cure of oxypowder, make a search on google.

Oxypowder looks far too extreme (and pricey) for me!

O_o
04-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Prune Juice.

Holy buckets of diarrhea, I was out of food and had a bottle of this stuff instead of a meal and spent the next 4 hour pouring out my intestines. I completely forgot about its laxative effect. It was always something my parents kept around their house in case on constipation. Obviously you shouldn't have a whole bottle, but a glass ought to be more than enough. Also agree with RipStone, laxatives like pills and such can become a dependancy to the point you need them to even have a bowel movement at all. I wouldn't even get started with them. Keep it natural.

uhockey
04-16-2005, 03:24 PM
I hear taco bell is a good constipation remedy...........

joed
04-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Ken: prunes will do it.

Alert
04-16-2005, 04:04 PM
my bro suffers from constipation, or used to anyway, he went 7 weeks once without passing anything.

Bisco
04-17-2005, 12:10 AM
Take massive amounts of vitamin "C", that should do the trick

MrMel
04-17-2005, 12:28 AM
I usually try one of the following:
lots of water
prunes or prune juice
papaya enzyme

sometimes i just need to change up my fiber

The Doc
04-17-2005, 12:30 AM
When I was in college my summer job was as a maintenance man at an old folks home, and nobody gets more upset about constipation than them. One time I had to fix a shower valve and nobody answered the door when I knocked so I went in. When I opened the door there was a woman bent over the bed, her husband was behind her and he had a spoon up her ass with one hand and a flashlight in the other. He just looked at me and said "She's a little bound up from all the cheese yesterday", and went right back to relieving her constipation. Apparently this was their aggressive approach to the situation.... I **** you not :).

The Doc

keninottawa
04-17-2005, 03:12 AM
Wow, reps for that, Doc!

melon
04-17-2005, 04:40 AM
When I was in college my summer job was as a maintenance man at an old folks home, and nobody gets more upset about constipation than them. One time I had to fix a shower valve and nobody answered the door when I knocked so I went in. When I opened the door there was a woman bent over the bed, her husband was behind her and he had a spoon up her ass with one hand and a flashlight in the other. He just looked at me and said "She's a little bound up from all the cheese yesterday", and went right back to relieving her constipation. Apparently this was their aggressive approach to the situation.... I **** you not :).

The Doc

Yes indeed some people have weird remedies, a few years ago I went round my Nans who was looking after my aunts dog for the week. Turns out the dog hadn't been to the toilet for the whole week and so I suggested we feed it prune juice or something. But she said she had a better idea, and when and go a large syringe full of warm water and squirted it up the dogs ass. My god I'm glad she did that outside, the effect was almost instantaneous.

Imagine a weeks worth of dog crap sprayed over the shed. I shudder thinking about it.

atticus_a
04-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Hey folks

Thanks

Cut the fiber down in the post workout shake.

What is your fat intake. Are using any oils in your diet? That helps for some people.

Some caster oil will clean you out.

The Doc
04-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Whatever remedy you try I hope it works, because nobody wants to die "straining at a stool" like Elvis :).

P.S. I called my mom for the heck of it to see what her mothers remedy was - EAT A TABLESPOON OF DISHSOAP, hows that one for ****s and giggles ;).

The Doc

keninottawa
04-23-2005, 11:56 AM
Alright, folks, this problem has been getting worse and worse over the past few days. My doctor gave me a laxative, but I'm afraid to take it because:1) when I last used it, it didn't work at all; 2) they can be habit-forming, I don't want to be getting into that.

I have been trying prunes and prune juice, but to no avail!

I have cottage cheese with flaxseed oil every night before going to bed. Could it be that this, in combination with my high-protein dinner, is too much protein for my body to handle?

Someone please help!

SprtNvolcoM00
04-23-2005, 12:06 PM
I dont know about you guys but if I dont have my oat bran I dont ****. My diet is very high in protien at the moment. the more fiver I eat the better IMO. I also take in a lot of oils; flax, fish, olive, ect. This helps a lot as well.

magnumfreak
04-23-2005, 12:18 PM
A great herbal remedy that I use when "the train won't leave the station" You can pick it up at most Wal Marts or herbal store. Cascara Sagrada. It is not habit forming and will clean you out quite well. I will typically use it for 4 or 5 days. Afterwards things work as they should.

keninottawa
04-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Cascara Sagrada, huh? May I ask what kind of a product this is?

magnumfreak
04-23-2005, 12:26 PM
That is the name of the herb. Any herbal store will be able to show you some. The one I use is in a caplet form. Look in the laxative section at wal mart.

keninottawa
04-23-2005, 12:30 PM
I avoid Wal-Marts at all costs, but I do know a very good herbal store!

Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone think the pre-bed cottage cheese could be the culprit?

Shotput15
04-23-2005, 12:46 PM

The Doc

AW MAN....that's just sick lol. haha and yet hilarious....an f'n spoon!?!?!

MantisShrimp
04-23-2005, 08:28 PM
Do you do cardio 3x times a week?

keninottawa
04-24-2005, 04:36 AM
Yes, why? Is that supposed to get things 'flowing'?

Cold_As_Ice
04-24-2005, 05:02 AM
800mg Magnesium with 1500mg Vitamin C along with a full glass of luke warm water before bed will clean you out, no doubt.

keninottawa
04-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Last night, just before bed, I had two glasses of warm prune juice and a half a bag of prunes.

So far... NOTHING.

I'm going back to my doctor, damnit.

Dtownstew
04-24-2005, 11:30 AM
I know how that is. I get that way too at times. I know you aren't opposed to using a laxative,.....so Ithink you should try this....works great for me.

I know they sound horrible...but use a Glycerin Suppository. Just use a little bit of lubricant and put it in as far as you can. They you just retain it as long as you can.

They are actually gentle, but work in about 15-30 min for me.

Drop me a message today if you need more info.

-Matt

Dtownstew
04-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Hey, just checking to see if you read post yet. I would give you more info if you wanted. Also, may exchange email addresses if you wanted too.

-Matt

Deadhead96
04-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Plums.

POrtergolf
10-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Last night, just before bed, I had two glasses of warm prune juice and a half a bag of prunes.

So far... NOTHING.

I'm going back to my doctor, damnit.

I know this is real old but did you ever find a remedy? I am not constipated for days but I am not as regular as I used to be. i do sometimes go a day or 2 w/o going. I used to go 2-3 times a day. I have tried laxatives and they appear to work but I don't want my body to become dependant on them. Please let me know if you or anyone else have found a remedy to have a regular bowel.
Thanks

shana
10-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Hey ,

Where do you live this is a great alternative doc in Long Island, New York, Dr. Capuono, ,who has been helping me so much.

Let me know

cully
11-10-2005, 03:07 PM
try chewing tobacco

startrek
11-10-2005, 07:52 PM
If your ass is leakin', your bathroom must be stinkin' , diarrhea..diarrhea.
:D I haven't heard that song since grade school!!!

dapper
11-10-2005, 08:16 PM
I started taking Ester-C tablets daily. Each tablet is 500mg I take 2 in the morning with meal #1 and 2 in the evening with meal #5. I was having some small constipation problems. Well I don't now and I have been very regular ever since I started taking it. I don't have the runs either. I did not start taking it because of the constipation but it has been great for me.

Wtf?
11-10-2005, 08:21 PM
I know this is real old but did you ever find a remedy? I am not constipated for days but I am not as regular as I used to be. i do sometimes go a day or 2 w/o going. I used to go 2-3 times a day. I have tried laxatives and they appear to work but I don't want my body to become dependant on them. Please let me know if you or anyone else have found a remedy to have a regular bowel.
Thanks

Eating 2-3 ripe banannas a day works for me to keep regular. You can blend them with some other fruit to make it taste better. I noticed on days when I don't eat any I only go like once instead.

It has something to do with the fiber in them..they contain both soulable and insoulable fiber.

ljfong
11-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Eat bananas, 2-3/day. Eat your vegetables and don't forget some fruit as well. Whole wheat food is nice too, such as, oldfashioned oatmeal, whole wheat bagel, etc. Most people I know who has constipation problem basically don't eat enough vegetables and fruit daily. Bodybuilder or not, eat your fruit and vegetables. Above all, drink tons of water which you already knew very well. I have a regular bowel even I take max allowed L-glutamine daily.

Thanks

MsDominatus
11-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Fibrous veggies and lots of them
Water and lots of it
Move
and lastly...

Rock the boat!

It also helps to have a balanced diet meaning.. not oo much of anything like say a 40/40/20. I go just fine, thank you.

Markel
11-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Back in the Motherland (Russia)

they used to get these thin candles and shove emm up ur ass, well not really i think they just used the candles flame to make ur ass open up,liek the heat would make ease up or something. I luckily never had it done, an dim not sure if they still do it, ill ask my perents.

Wtf?
11-11-2005, 12:40 AM
The thread title should be changed to "Weirdest constipation remedies you've ever heard of?"

lol. wtf @ some of these stories. Candles? Spoons?