PDA

View Full Version : Which faith you subscribe to?

Renegade Master
04-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Which faith you subscribe to?

SmuckersNatural
04-12-2005, 09:30 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=450204

Renegade Master
04-12-2005, 09:33 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=450204

They don't got a poll. Mines better.

Wussy
04-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Which faith you subscribe to?

I don't think agnostic, secular, or nonreligious are faiths as such.

Renegade Master
04-12-2005, 09:47 PM

They are. They all require faith in something.

Wussy
04-12-2005, 09:54 PM

Agnostics believe its impossible to prove whether or not there is a God at this time.
Secularists techiniquely have no stance at all.
And nonreligious. . .is basically secularist.

What is it these groups have faith in?

HulkHagen
04-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Hagenology

petemoss
04-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Christian, which could fall under Catholic or protestant.
By the way, it takes more faith to be an agnostic and think that we came from two ameba's swimming in a pool of slime then to think God created us.

quickquestion
04-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Christian, which could fall under Catholic or protestant.
By the way, it takes more faith to be an agnostic and think that we came from two ameba's swimming in a pool of slime then to think God created us.

spoken like a true idiot.....

Stinker
04-12-2005, 10:53 PM
I just had a look at who voted for what... Atheism/agnosticism is currently represented by a guy called "Stinker" and a guy called "Wussy". I bet everyone wants to be athiest now!

Renegade Master
04-12-2005, 11:17 PM
I don't think there are any other Orthodox on this forum.

Wussy
04-12-2005, 11:48 PM
I just had a look at who voted for what... Atheism/agnosticism is currently represented by a guy called "Stinker" and a guy called "Wussy". I bet everyone wants to be athiest now!

lol. . .We're the biggest group according to the poll right now :P.

GrkPwerHouse
04-13-2005, 01:01 AM

Greek Orthodox right here buddy!

bulletproofsoul
04-13-2005, 01:36 AM
Which faith you subscribe to?You should make your polls private. I mislike giving such details.

Given anyway.

bulletproofsoul
04-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Greek Orthodox right here buddy!You selected Protestant.

GrkPwerHouse
04-13-2005, 01:40 AM
Thats because I didn't see it...I just glanced down.

DanMc
04-13-2005, 06:14 AM

nor is buddhism

Hartski
04-13-2005, 06:17 AM
I subscribe to Playboy. It's the Boobies and Pie Faith.

DanMc
04-13-2005, 06:21 AM
I subscribe to Playboy. It's the Boobies and Pie Faith.

At least you can see touch and feel your beliefs.

Hartski
04-13-2005, 06:36 AM
At least you can see touch and feel your beliefs.

Well, in theory, anyways. So far, I have to settle for pictures and video.:(

Wussy
04-13-2005, 06:37 AM
nor is buddhism

Yes is it. . .they have faith in reincarnation and karma.

bulletproofsoul
04-13-2005, 07:43 AM
At least you can see touch and feel your beliefs.Taste too. ;)

DanMc
04-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Taste too. ;)

Ya I had that thought as I hit submit.. LOL

buddhism is not a religion it is a train of thought ...ie karma which in no way requires faith.

bulletproofsoul
04-13-2005, 07:52 AM

buddhism is not a religion it is a train of thought ...ie karma which in no way requires faith.I have a question about that. But doesn't one have to believe in reincarnation, nirvana (not the band ;)) and so on?

DanMc
04-13-2005, 08:21 AM
I have a question about that. But doesn't one have to believe in reincarnation, nirvana (not the band ;)) and so on?

Many people believe in reincarnation... doing so does not classify that belief as a religion or a belief in some form or another of God

George Carlinian
04-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Wow, its been a long time since Orthodoxy equalled Islam in number of members :)

Represent!

George Carlinian
04-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Agnostics believe its impossible to prove whether or not there is a God at this time.
Secularists techiniquely have no stance at all.
And nonreligious. . .is basically secularist.

What is it these groups have faith in?
What you described is not a religion but it is a faith.

George Carlinian
04-13-2005, 01:20 PM

buddhism is not a religion it is a train of thought ...ie karma which in no way requires faith.
Try achieving zen without faith :p

George Carlinian
04-13-2005, 01:21 PM
You should make your polls private. I mislike giving such details.

Given anyway.
One should not 'misliking' the statement of what he believes. It's contradictory, no matter what you believe.

Renegade Master
04-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Wow, its been a long time since Orthodoxy equalled Islam in number of members :)

Represent!

It is defiantly growing in the West. When I first came here about two years ago the Serbian Orthodox church that we went to serviced our community of Serbians that numbered about 400. Now there are over 2000 of us, they had to expand the church and even bring more staff over from Serbia to operate it.

With immigration from Eastern European countries starting to open up more into the West with the cold war over we will defiantly see a steady increase of Orthodox in the west.

secondsight
04-13-2005, 01:30 PM
spoken like a true idiot.....

Do you feel better saying that? Why the hatred? Everyone has an opinion about something, we are all not right nor wrong. But YOU are apparently always right (in your own mind of course). Why do you have so much venom towards others that think differently than you? Why are you so intolerant of others?

George Carlinian
04-13-2005, 01:37 PM
It is defiantly growing in the West. When I first came here about two years ago the Serbian Orthodox church that we went to serviced our community of Serbians that numbered about 400. Now there are over 2000 of us, they had to expand the church and even bring more staff over from Serbia to operate it.

With immigration from Eastern European countries starting to open up more into the West with the cold war over we will defiantly see a steady increase of Orthodox in the west.
I was referring to the poll but what you said is true also. We have a good Serbian church in my city (Fresno, CA). All the (Orthodox) Christians showed support for your community and church when the NATO was was starting. There is an Armenian Church almost next door, and Ethiopian Orthodox congregate there in the early Sunday mornings! That would be great if like in other parts of the world, we all lived in that neighborhood :)

edit: looks like 'filter111' decided to vote for islam and ruined the percentage...but technically we're still even because that Greek brother voted for the protestants by mistake :)

DanMc
04-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Try achieving zen without faith :p

LOL ...wasn't there a song about zen?

George Carlinian
04-13-2005, 01:47 PM
LOL ...wasn't there a song about zen?
There must be something we can eat
Maybe find another lover
Should I fly to Los Angeles
Find my ******* brother

Minnie(?) Mouse has grown up a cow
Dave's on sale again
We kissy kiss in the rear view
We're so bored
You're to blame

Try to see it once my way
Everything zen
Everything zen
I don't think so

Raindogs howl for the century
A million dollars a steak
As you search for your demi-god
And you fake with a saint
There's no sex in your violence

Everything zen
Everything zen
I don't think so

I don't believe that Elvis is dead
I don't believe that Elvis is, Elvis is

GrkPwerHouse
04-13-2005, 02:48 PM
because that Greek brother voted for the protestants by mistake

yeah i know...which I could change it.

NOt that I have anything against protestants at all...all brothers in Christ :)

EnlightenedLife
04-13-2005, 02:50 PM
There must be something we can eat
Maybe find another lover
Should I fly to Los Angeles
Find my ******* brother

Minnie(?) Mouse has grown up a cow
Dave's on sale again
We kissy kiss in the rear view
We're so bored
You're to blame

Everything zen
Everything zen
I don't think so

Raindogs howl for the century
A million dollars a steak
As you search for your demi-god
And you fake with a saint

Everything zen
Everything zen
I don't think so

I don't believe that Elvis is, Elvis is

Everything Zen by Bush? Haven't listened to them for a long time.!

Wussy
04-13-2005, 02:55 PM
What you described is not a religion but it is a faith.

Neither group has faith. Secularist don't have any believes about God at all. And agnostic just point out the fact that the existiance of a God can't be proven either way right now. I can't see how those groups are faiths if they don't have faith in anything.

Atheism on the other hand has faith. They have faith that there is no God. Atheists who say they are atheist because there is no reason to even consider the possiblity of a God are in fact secularists. It's like a person believing Jesus is the Son of God and the messiah while still calling themselves Jewish. There is actually a group "jews for jesus" that does this. . .cept the only call jesus's the messiah not the son of God.

It's basically semantics. Not a big deal but it does have a pile of secularists calling themselves Atheists and bluring the lines between Athieism/agnostic/secularism.

EnlightenedLife
04-13-2005, 02:56 PM
I have a question about that. But doesn't one have to believe in reincarnation, nirvana (not the band ;)) and so on?

It really doesn't matter that much. Many Buddhists believe in rebirth, many do not. Many like to call it a religion, others do not. It's not really an important factor, as unlike many other religions/philosophies there are not set beliefs you MUST follow. Buddha himself stated :Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

taz55
04-13-2005, 03:07 PM
well since its not on the list i am mormon

George Carlinian
04-13-2005, 03:21 PM
yeah i know...which I could change it.

NOt that I have anything against protestants at all...all brothers in Christ :)
I wish you could change it also :D

Renegade Master
04-13-2005, 03:23 PM

Mormon is Protestantism.

psinide
04-13-2005, 03:24 PM

I am!

psinide
04-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Mormon is Protestantism.

I don't know about that, from what I've read, Mormonism is pretty outside the Westminister Confession of Faith. It's also big on salvation by works I believe.

GrkPwerHouse
04-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Yes its a little, Thrown off...

Anytime you put a mediator between God and Man....screw ups begin.

Renegade Master
04-13-2005, 10:01 PM
I am!

Which church?

Renegade Master
04-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Anytime you put a mediator between God and Man....screw ups begin.

So the Gospels are screw ups? They where not written by God.

George Carlinian
04-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Man is highly curruptable. It's throughout the Bible. Whenever we organize, even for God, it is also doomed to be curruptable.

bulletproofsoul
04-14-2005, 12:04 AM
It really doesn't matter that much. Many Buddhists believe in rebirth, many do not. Many like to call it a religion, others do not. It's not really an important factor, as unlike many other religions/philosophies there are not set beliefs you MUST follow. Buddha himself stated :Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.Thank you, EnlightenedLife.

I feel more...enlightened. ;)

George Carlinian
04-14-2005, 12:15 AM
It really doesn't matter that much. Many Buddhists believe in rebirth, many do not. Many like to call it a religion, others do not. It's not really an important factor, as unlike many other religions/philosophies there are not set beliefs you MUST follow. Buddha himself stated :Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
I didn't reply to this quote at first because I believe Buddism is more than a faith, its also a religion, but there is a lot of buddist philosophy that I think of that is applicable to Christianity.

DanMc
04-14-2005, 05:08 AM

That would be Christianity which is not on the list.

EnlightenedLife
04-14-2005, 10:15 AM
I didn't reply to this quote at first because I believe Buddism is more than a faith, its also a religion, but there is a lot of buddist philosophy that I think of that is applicable to Christianity.

The core tenents of Buddhism, ie; The Eightfold Path and the Five Precepts can be applicable to pretty much any faith or mindset that is out there. There are Christian Buddhists, Hindu Buddhists, Sikh Buddhists and plenty of Atheist Buddhists. They don't tend to contradict or get in the way of most other theologies.

EnlightenedLife
04-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Thank you, EnlightenedLife.

I feel more...enlightened. ;)

My pleasure :)

The full quote goes more like this:

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

C Hall
04-14-2005, 10:28 AM
I don't know what to believe in!

Really, what the f*ck are we all doing on this planet but worshipping celebrities?!?!

Rugerfann
04-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Can you add Anti-baptist since they dont consider themselfs protestant becuase they existed before the roman catholic Church.

M1911A1
04-14-2005, 10:48 AM

No they don't.

And I'm not on your poll, so I'm sueing.

EDIT: Also, this thread is flamebait and furthermore, the thread starter is blatantly ignorant of religion in general.

lionheart21
04-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Greek Orthodox right here buddy!

BUMP

George Carlinian
04-14-2005, 12:03 PM
No they don't.

And I'm not on your poll, so I'm sueing.

EDIT: Also, this thread is flamebait and furthermore, the thread starter is blatantly ignorant of religion in general.
Any expression of opinion is 'flamebait'. The only ones who get banned around here are the ones whose opinions contradict that of the ignuhnt moderator.

George Carlinian
04-14-2005, 12:06 PM
BUMP
Yay Veggie! We outnumber the mohammedans 6 to 5! :D

(counting Grk :) )

God bless the followers of Christ!

neXeroXed
04-14-2005, 12:09 PM
satanism/sumerian the true religion of man

George Carlinian
04-14-2005, 12:21 PM
True, but Christianity is the true religion of God :)

M1911A1
04-14-2005, 12:23 PM

How is satanism related to ancient sumerian religions, sumerians being ancient pagan/polytheists and satanists being people who worship a conceptual being first conceived by Christianity as the ultimate evil?

Satanism is not a religion. It is a perversion of an existing religion.

George Carlinian
04-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Satanism is not a religion. It is a perversion of an existing religion.
Very true. It is actually based on Christian philosophy, ironically (that man shouldn't worship himself and be secular/carnal).

Renegade Master
04-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Satanism does not belong on the list. They belong in a mental hospitial.

George Carlinian
04-15-2005, 12:30 AM
Satanism does not belong on the list. They belong in a mental hospitial.
Satanism is the choice to reject the offer of God. I give them respect in that, unlike phony Sunday Christians, at least they're honest about pursuing selfish carnal and secular ambitions. Certainly God will show them more mercy than hypocrites.

SYRIANKID
04-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Satanism is the choice to reject the offer of God. I give them respect in that, unlike phony Sunday Christians, at least they're honest about pursuing selfish carnal and secular ambitions. Certainly God will show them more mercy than hypocrites.

The irony is that to acknowledge Satan is to acknowledge God, who created him. Satanists make a very open choice to obey the one God has damned.

George Carlinian
04-15-2005, 12:47 AM
The irony is that to acknowledge Satan is to acknowledge God, who created him. Satanists make a very open choice to obey the one God has damned.
They're also a lot more conscious of secularism than many (most?) religious people.

GrkPwerHouse
04-20-2005, 08:16 PM
That would be Christianity which is not on the list.
Being a Mormon...is not being a Christian.

I agree...in away.....Jesus said it himself...He doesn't want anyone lukewarm...no fence sitters.

No, they are not.."All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

.and that is not what I meant. what I meant is when they put a mediator between God and Man.."I am the way the truth and the life, no man cometh unto the Father but by me". In other words...John smith doens't get you to heaven, Praying to Mary doesn't get you into heaven, Good deeds do not get you into heaven...