PDA

View Full Version : Long term success in dieting? Lifestyle.

dasilvacelsoa
09-09-2007, 09:18 AM
The number 1 reason why diets fail is lack of consistency. Yea- some people don't want to make lifestyle changes, they want to eat garbage all day long and be fit, I'm not talking about these people. I'm talking people who really try to make a commitment.

Dieting is a double wammy. The first is switching from eating simple carbs and greasy foods to eating healthy wholesome foods. The second is caloric restriction. So what happens is people start craving the ****ty foods they used to eat and then they get hungry due to caloric restriction and then they crave those foods even more. Its misery, they miss the old foods and are hungry. It's only a matter of time before the binge cycle begins.

How about this.... First thing people should do when dieting is get their bodys acclimated to healthy food and cut out the garbage. Having cheat meals is up to the person. It's only for people who can control having a cheat meal and not turn it into a cheat day/week. So for a couple weeks eat as much as you want but follow 2 rules.

1. ONLY wholesome foods/drinks NO garbage (aside from the optional cheat)
2. Space out the meals 2-3 hours.

After a couple weeks some people actually get disgusted by the way they used to eat. They find ways to make the healthy food actually taste good. At this point start reducing calories 200-300 on a weekly basis until you are 500 cals below your TDEE.

This will take a little while but it is a very short period of time considering a lifestyle change. Be confident, determined, consistant and patient and you can achieve the unthinkable.

what do you think? worthwhile advice?

Saturnal
09-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Yeah it's very worthwhile advice I think. It could certainly help some people make the transition.

I still think it really boils down to each person's determination though. You either have the motivation or you don't. It's not something you can get from anyone but yourself. When I first started eating clean and restricting calories, it was tough, but I got over it. Some people never get over it and keep slipping back into old bad habits. It all depends on the person.

Giorrgi
09-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Yep, the part about being disgusted is totally right. Tried on my little brain :)