PDA

View Full Version : Beans?

VernonWellsFargo
09-07-2007, 05:21 PM
are they good having in a diet? especially on a weight loss diet? i havent heard too much about beans being bad or good for you, thanks guys reps for help

BlueFenix13S
09-07-2007, 05:25 PM
I always have 1/2-1c of red or black beans in my PPWO meal (ground beef, beans, and rice) they're a great complex carb, low GI, lots of fiber, and a pretty decent amount of protein. Just add them slowly so you don't get rancid gas haha. The only beans to stay away from are baked beans, they typically have added sugar.

VernonWellsFargo
09-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I always have 1/2-1c of red or black beans in my PPWO meal (ground beef, beans, and rice) they're a great complex carb, low GI, lots of fiber, and a pretty decent amount of protein. Just add them slowly so you don't get rancid gas haha. The only beans to stay away from are baked beans, they typically have added sugar.

but if you dont eat alot of the baked beans they are still abd for you?

BlueFenix13S
09-07-2007, 05:30 PM
but if you dont eat alot of the baked beans they are still abd for you?

Hard to say, look at how much sugar is in a serving, if it's more than a few grams, I'd say stay away. Red, black, garbanzo, or pinto beans are your best bet.

xl Achilles lx
09-07-2007, 05:39 PM
I love beans, I have them whenever I possibly can. They're so good, and good for you as well. Awesome source of complex carbs, decent source of protein, low in fat, relativly calorically dense...eat up man.

tinyman5000
09-07-2007, 05:45 PM
I make breakfast bean burritos-

Lowfat cheddar 100 calories
1/4 cup beans 120-150 calories
1 whole wheat tortilla 150 calories
3 oz ground beef 160 calories or two scrambled eggs
Onions, peppers carmalized

dojomaster
09-07-2007, 05:47 PM
most baked beans tend to have a good deal of sugar and other canned beans can have lots of salt but whatever your goals are i guess it won't be to bad, I sometimes have black beans (low sodium)

adidamps2
09-07-2007, 05:51 PM
i'll pass on the beans

too many carbs
****ty BV profile for protein
most taste like ****, unless there Bush's baked beans, then there ****ty ****ty nutritional at that point. just taste good.

ripping-it-up
09-07-2007, 05:51 PM
adzuki beans, blackeye beans, kidney beans, there all high in carbs and taste good. chick peas are another good one with plenty of carbs! eat em up

xl Achilles lx
09-07-2007, 05:56 PM
i'll pass on the beans

too many carbs
****ty BV profile for protein
most taste like ****, unless there Bush's baked beans, then there ****ty ****ty nutritional at that point. just taste good.

Too many carbs? Wtf are you talking about, if you look, a ton of the carbs is actually fiber. And sure the BV profile isn't that of eggs or whey, but that doesn't mean you should pass on them. And no, beans don't taste like ****, as long as you know how to freakin cook.

OP, don't pass up beans, they're damn good and damn good for you.

tinyman5000
09-07-2007, 05:57 PM
yeah they're like the BEST carbohydrates you can get, next to veggies and apples. Some of have like 20-30 gi and are awesome, filled with minerals

siamesedream
09-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Beans are good.

Oddball8945
09-07-2007, 06:24 PM
I like Old El Paso Fat Free Refried beans, good stuff with salsa & Cheese with a side of beef. Beans are good eats, especially refried , its like the mash potato of the bean world.

Rice & Beans with chicken & tomato based sauce is also pretty good.

just throwing that out there ^

grapemaster
09-07-2007, 07:10 PM
small red beans(not kidney) actually have one of, if not the highest antioxidant content of any natural plant life...

eat them... your cooking methods might effect your range of flatulence, but that doesn't mean we can't use them as food.

The Solution
09-07-2007, 07:32 PM
I like Old El Paso Fat Free Refried beans, good stuff with salsa & Cheese with a side of beef. Beans are good eats, especially refried , its like the mash potato of the bean world.

Rice & Beans with chicken & tomato based sauce is also pretty good.

just throwing that out there ^

where did u get those beans again.. i remember u posted a pic of them from what you bought! i was looking to make some WW pitas/wraps with those with some lettauce tomato and adding some beef in there.. making some beef wraps mmmmm :)

Oddball8945
09-08-2007, 07:12 AM
where did u get those beans again.. i remember u posted a pic of them from what you bought! i was looking to make some WW pitas/wraps with those with some lettauce tomato and adding some beef in there.. making some beef wraps mmmmm :)

shoprite man, i would say any grocery store has them. Mine has them in the sorta ethnic flair section with all the taco's,salsas,seasonings etc. Or check by canned food

adidamps2
09-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Too many carbs? Wtf are you talking about, if you look, a ton of the carbs is actually fiber. And sure the BV profile isn't that of eggs or whey, but that doesn't mean you should pass on them. And no, beans don't taste like ****, as long as you know how to freakin cook.

OP, don't pass up beans, they're damn good and damn good for you.

too each there own.
i dont liek them. and see no benifit too adding them too my diet.

Mr.Hombre
09-09-2007, 09:11 AM
too each there own.
i dont liek them. and see no benifit too adding them too my diet.

no benefit? they're a starchy veggie with a good amount of protein, fiber, and micronutrients. how could you say that?

mcdbb
09-09-2007, 09:21 AM
no benefit? they're a starchy veggie with a good amount of protein, fiber, and micronutrients. how could you say that?

Beans are not vegetables. They fall into a legumes category, which could be otherwise classified as "fruit in pods." Nuts fall into this category, as do peas.

I think what you're missing is that he's just saying he doesn't like beans. Puzzling and a completely pointless post when you consider that OP asked if they were nutritionally beneficial, not "do you LIEK beans?"

adidamps2
09-09-2007, 10:54 AM

the protein is **** in legumes
fiber, is fine if that what you want to eat it for.
however the anti-nutrients in them turn me away. enzyme blockers and lectins which are not destroyed when cooked, are good cause to avoid IMO.

The Solution
09-09-2007, 10:58 AM
i dont really incorporate beans into my diet

i get my staple of proteins from lean meats -- eggs, tuna, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, milk
complex carbs -- WW bread, brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potato/yams

works easy and really easy to get a hold of during college

Aindreas
09-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I love beans in all forms. They were one of my favorite foods growing up, from navy beans to kidney beans to refried whatever. I could have lived off beans, my mom's cornbread, and milk. Sadly, I can't digest one of those things anymore, and the other is probably something I should eat in moderation :(. But beans are still very much on the menu.

Dm84
09-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Beans are not vegetables. They fall into a legumes category, which could be otherwise classified as "fruit in pods." Nuts fall into this category, as do peas.Nuts are not legumes, except for peanuts.

Almonds, cashews, pecans, etc are considered tree nuts, not legumes.

adidamps2
09-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Nuts are not legumes, except for peanuts.

Almonds, cashews, pecans, etc are considered tree nuts, not legumes.

are actually not nuts either.
they fall into a catagory all of their own. unfortunetly i do not remember what it is called.

mcdbb
09-09-2007, 12:03 PM
the protein is **** in legumes
fiber, is fine if that what you want to eat it for.
however the anti-nutrients in them turn me away. enzyme blockers and lectins which are not destroyed when cooked, are good cause to avoid IMO.

A large number of these toxins you're going on and on about are removed when soaking and washing. While they won't all disappear, a small amount is not a reason to avoid beans.

Beans are a staple of many traditional diets. I see no reason to avoid them - your reasoning that the "protein is ****" could really use some work.

adidamps2
09-09-2007, 12:14 PM
A large number of these toxins you're going on and on about are removed when soaking and washing. While they won't all disappear, a small amount is not a reason to avoid beans.

Beans are a staple of many traditional diets. I see no reason to avoid them - your reasoning that the "protein is ****" could really use some work.
going on and on about...only made one post about that.

which ones?

the BV of beans is low on the chart. very low. have too eat 2x the amount just to ge whats listed on them.

mcdbb
09-09-2007, 12:37 PM
going on and on about...only made one post about that.

which ones?

the BV of beans is low on the chart. very low. have too eat 2x the amount just to ge whats listed on them.

Beans tend to be more of a staple in Asian countries and countries in the Middle East than the United States, where meat is a staple (perhaps too much so). Indians eat beans. Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese eat beans (although the Chinese will eat anything). South Americans consume a fair share of beans as well. Africans eat a good amount as well. Beans are everywhere, occuping a fair share of virtually every single culinary tradition. Let's just leave it at that.

The biological value *may* be lower than meat and you may need to consume slightly more but that's STILL not a reason to avoid them. Neither are these antinutrients you're talking about. Beans are not the devil, sorry.

adidamps2
09-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Beans tend to be more of a staple in Asian countries and countries in the Middle East than the United States, where meat is a staple (perhaps too much so). Indians eat beans. Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese eat beans (although the Chinese will eat anything). South Americans consume a fair share of beans as well. Africans eat a good amount as well. Beans are everywhere, occuping a fair share of virtually every single culinary tradition. Let's just leave it at that.

The biological value *may* be lower than meat and you may need to consume slightly more but that's STILL not a reason to avoid them. Neither are these antinutrients you're talking about. Beans are not the devil, sorry.

never said they were, i just gave my reasons why i avoid/dont eat them.

i see no reason too.

there are too many other food i can eat that have 3x times the benifits of beans and taste better.

Belloc
09-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I will never eat beans again.

one day I ate about 1 kilo of black and black eyed peas ...

let's just say I'll never turn gay