PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a good protein powder for losing fat?

SomeFeind
09-07-2007, 02:11 PM
I know some powders are heavier in calories and carbs in order to bulk you up, but I'm trying to lose about 15 lbs of fat. I've checked out a couple such as NO. I was at smoothie king today and saw they had a 5 lb. jug of their Gladiator whey isolate for $30. For 2 scoops, it's about 180 calories, 45g protein, 1g carbs.

I'm having trouble keeping the protein in my diet high enough for my goals. Has anyone tried this or had success with anything else?

Finnegan Bell
09-07-2007, 02:15 PM
I know some powders are heavier in calories and carbs in order to bulk you up, but I'm trying to lose about 15 lbs of fat. I've checked out a couple such as NO. I was at smoothie king today and saw they had a 5 lb. jug of their Gladiator whey isolate for $30. For 2 scoops, it's about 180 calories, 45g protein, 1g carbs.

I'm having trouble keeping the protein in my diet high enough for my goals. Has anyone tried this or had success with anything else?

it seems fine ,1 grams of carbs ,buy it!

AlexMR
09-07-2007, 02:21 PM
I've read a few articles saying that casein protein is better than whey when in fat loss programs. I dont know many details but if you run a search you'll find a couple good threads about it.

Willdabear
09-07-2007, 02:22 PM
casein = slow digesting(good for before bed)
whey = quicker digestion...thats whyd youd take it post workout

cmdurham
09-07-2007, 02:28 PM
What is the serving size. I think in a 5-pound jug of ON there are 77 servings at 120 cal each. When I do price analysis I get out the calculator and figure out price per calorie. But that's not what you asked.

It really just depends on what you mix it with. Whey isolates are less expensive and and lower in carbs than blends; but when are you taking it? I usually take my shakes before and after my workout - both times during which you want to have carbs. So for me the blends work because I get my carbs too.

Of course I work out in the morning so this is easier for me. When I wake up I have a hiPro/loCarb (200 cal) shake and a banana (100 cal), work out, then have a hiPro/hiCarb shake (600+ cal).

I only count on shakes surrounding my workout though, and then whole foods. I guess your question seems weird to me in a fat loss context because I don't think of protein as a fat loss nutrient.

My advice, given your goal of getting more protein would be:

Extra whey around your workout
extra lean meat on other meals
Casein or Cottage Cheese before bed time

I personally go with 1.5-2g of protein per pound of weight.

cmdurham
09-07-2007, 02:30 PM
I've read a few articles saying that casein protein is better than whey when in fat loss programs. I dont know many details but if you run a search you'll find a couple good threads about it.

I've read that lowfat dairy products in general aid in getting rid of body fat. If you drink a lot of milk go lowfat (1-2%). Cottage cheese (Casein) I like in 2% during the day but 4% before bed because it's slower-absorbing.

SomeFeind
09-07-2007, 03:00 PM
I personally go with 1.5-2g of protein per pound of weight.

I think that's way too much than I need. While building muscle is a definite positive side-effect, I'm mainly focused on getting rid of bodyfat. At 195 lbs now, I'm struggling to get 120g of protein already.

I've read that lowfat dairy products in general aid in getting rid of body fat. If you drink a lot of milk go lowfat (1-2%). Cottage cheese (Casein) I like in 2% during the day but 4% before bed because it's slower-absorbing.

I have skim milk in the morning for breakfast with my cereal. But if I get this protein powder, I'll try mixing it in with that for breakfast instead.

l209fr5
09-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Nature's Best Zero Carb Isopure is Tops in my opinion.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/nb/lowcarb.html