PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much

Nicolotta54
09-06-2007, 10:50 PM
In a day (for a girl) how much protein powder is too much?? Like how many servings should someone have at the most?? I have to many fun things to make with my protein powder and they are all so good, but I'm scared that maybe I shouldn't really be having pp more than once a day. Can anybody help?? :D

siamesedream
09-06-2007, 11:16 PM
2.69 servings is both the maximum and the minimum.

BEQ one
09-07-2007, 12:11 AM
well what are your goals ?

thebadguy
09-07-2007, 01:07 AM
i think having more than one scoop of whey a day is too much, however some people on here live by it and have 5...

martinibluex
09-07-2007, 01:12 AM
i think having more than one scoop of whey a day is too much, however some people on here live by it and have 5...

Seriously... one scoop. Wow. Why don't you skip the gym, put on a skirt and go dancing.

To the original poster. I would do around 1 g per pound of body mass. I would say 1.5 might be stretching it, considering the hiuher bf% in women. So from here up to half of that should/could be from shakes.

thebadguy
09-07-2007, 01:21 AM
Seriously... one scoop. Wow. Why don't you skip the gym, put on a skirt and go dancing.

To the original poster. I would do around 1 g per pound of body mass. I would say 1.5 might be stretching it, considering the hiuher bf% in women. So from here up to half of that should/could be from shakes.

actually i'd rather get my protein from whole foods and i do manage to get enough protein from the rules of thumb you pointed out above. and the point i was making was that you will get mixed responses on how much protein powder is too much. next time think before trying to be a smartass

hypnotoad
09-07-2007, 01:35 AM
actually i'd rather get my protein from whole foods and i do manage to get enough protein from the rules of thumb you pointed out above. and the point i was making was that you will get mixed responses on how much protein powder is too much. next time think before trying to be a smartass

I am yet to find the magic recipe of food that causes a significant spike in the AA concentration gradient, which is, as it has been said many times, what causes increased protein synthesis.
What do you think is healthier for you? Sticking to "real" food (like chicken that go from the hatchery to the frozen food section in 2 weeks) or ensuring that your muscles don't go unrepaired?
Thinking is a good idea. Reeeeaaly thinking.

martinibluex
09-07-2007, 01:47 AM

Why is it it that newbies always show the worst bigotry in here.
Btw aggression is spelled with a double g. Just in case you want to fix your vacuous profile.
And trust me, I am thinking.

thebadguy
09-07-2007, 02:13 AM
look i'm not saying you are wrong, my point was that some people will say you don't need whey, others will say you can't get enough

The Solution
09-07-2007, 02:20 AM
read the post in my signature about why consuming whole foods > whey protein ull understand

since u weigh 125lbs i would say you could get around 40-60g of protein from shakes a day.. i would consider whole foods = more nutritious and beneficial to the body then taking in liquids all the time..

dont deprive ur body on proper nutrition and getting good vitamins/minerals frmo the food you eat to keep ur body in check and growing

sure protein is protein, but consuming it all from one source isnt the way to go! strive for variety if you can

markymoo
09-07-2007, 03:46 AM
Some fat loss diets like the velocity diet short term recommend you to drink 5-6 protein shakes a day instead of eating food but that isn't ideal way to build muscle. A good idea is to get most of your proteins from whole foods that are complete proteins like eggs, chicken, lean beef, milk and fish. It safe to drink 2-3 shakes a day because whey is very high quality protein. People drink milk every day and whey is higher quality than milk so i wouldn't worry at all. Some have been doing this amount for years. The time when taking a whey protein shake benefits over whole foods is before and after a workout when you need a easily digestable protein to be delivered fast into your body. A liquid protein will be more easily digestable. Digesting a breast of chicken at this time would take more energy and a longer time to digest. So 30-50g of whey shakes is ideal after post workout. I take 60g of whey protein thats 6 scoops to make sure i get all that required, better to supply abit more than too few at this crucial stage. That blows away the 1 scoop crowd. The advantage of taking 60g of protein is i take in a higher amount of essential bcaa's and l-glutamine that are in the whey resulting in i believe a faster recovery and less muscle breakdown. I like to add taking a shake within 30 mins shows more benefits than taking it in 90 mins after your workout and taking it along with some carbs will carry the protein in the whey into your muscles for faster recovery, Some use 30g of dextrose to do this but this isn't good for long term health so use a healthier option like oats. Dont eat any fat post-workout as it will slow down the digestion of the protein and carbs. I recommend you drink your protein shake with water instead of milk as lots of water is beneficial when eating lots of protein as it puts a strain on the kidneys.

Benji!
09-08-2007, 07:59 AM
good question

cal62887
09-08-2007, 08:06 AM
"how much" is vague. there is no exact amount. A lot of it has to do with your calories that youre taking in, your body composition, how active you are, etc. You first have to decide how much protein you want in your diet....from there you decide whether you can easily obtain it through whole food or if powder is easier for you. It mostly has to do with your diet, macros, goals, and preference.