PDA

View Full Version : i spend about 3 hours a day, every day, contemplating existence...

nnjj112255kkllo9
09-03-2007, 07:41 PM
I have no idea why. It is an impossible question.

I can't understand how sometihng came from nothing.

Religion cant answer it per 1st cause

Science cant answer it per 1st cause

Leads me to believe that nothing exist (not literally, but rather physically)....but i also feel this is silly

I spend all my ****ing time trying to tihnk this siht out....

Couldbebigga
09-03-2007, 07:43 PM

Leads me to believe that nothing exist (not literally, but rather physically)....but i also feel this is silly

Hurts doesn't it?

cal62887
09-03-2007, 07:43 PM
when you figure it out, shoot me a PM with the answer...

Guardian
09-03-2007, 07:45 PM

I was there too, still am to an extent. Its really not healthy for you, will lead to reduced serotonin levels sometimes to unhealthy low levels.

Sometimes I wonder if we are meant to not know either way. Imagine the implication on life if we knew for sure one way or the other? It almost seems life works best as quasi agnostic. Sure everyone on ghere claims athiest or thiest but in reality everybody at the core has a level of agnostic to them.

Theres 2 possibilities people often never consider. First it is possible there is some sort of god but it doesnt give a damn about us, and has no plans for us when we die. Another possibility is there is no god but we still go on to some sort of afterlife, in a sense that would make us all gods ourselves!

jackal337
09-03-2007, 07:46 PM
The universe is infinite, problem solved.

Ali_Z
09-03-2007, 07:46 PM

"Cogido ergo sum" Descartes

"I think therefore I am." Read Descartes Meditations and also read Hume's thoughts on Causation.

devire1
09-03-2007, 07:47 PM
when you figure it out, shoot me a PM with the answer...

yeah. send me a private message as well, while u r at it. haha! :D

":)"

EOY
09-03-2007, 07:48 PM

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2505461

adilrockstar
09-03-2007, 07:53 PM

I am sure that you have reffered to scientific books and articles etc. to get information. Since you aren't sure if science can answer your question and you are not sure that Religion can answer your question, I have a question for you. You have reffered to the books, why not reffer to Jesus. Just ask Him to reveal Himself to you. It is very simple. Don't require a specific way for Him to reveal Himself, just ask Him to do it and keep your eyes and ears open. He will reveal Himself to you, you will just need to be able to accept it.

Lager1
09-03-2007, 07:58 PM

I do the same thing, man. Sometimes I get so deep in thought that I almost feel like nothing exists at all. It's called derealization or something like that.

TranceNRG
09-03-2007, 08:00 PM

Well done...

Continue to contemplate and keep your eyes (inner and outer) open. The answer will soon appear within the range of your vision. :)

You may not always reach an answer that you expect or hope for, but you will reach an answer, which will be coherent with everything else.

Meanwhile, as you continue to contemplate about a certain issue, the answers for various other issues come to you.

It is no wonder that Aristotle claimed that thinking is good in itself. According to him, God is an entity that continuously contemplates all the time, since contemplation is the best thing there is to do. :)

Lager1
09-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Well done...

Continue to contemplate and keep your eyes (inner and outer) open. The answer will soon appear within the range of your vision. :)

You may not always reach an answer that you expect or hope for, but you will reach an answer, which will be coherent with everything else.

Meanwhile, as you continue to contemplate about a certain issue, the answers for various other issues come to you.

It is no wonder that Aristotle claimed that thinking is good in itself. According to him, God is an entity that continuously contemplates all the time, since contemplation is the best thing there is to do. :)

I love you man.

jnani
09-03-2007, 08:02 PM

It's the "thinking" that keeps you from experiencing pure existance.

TranceNRG
09-03-2007, 08:03 PM
I do the same thing, man. Sometimes I get so deep in thought that I almost feel like nothing exists at all. It's called derealization or something like that.

Well done to you too :)

Mereological Nihilism is an option that many people do consider as a legit option. :)

P.S.
I Love you too :)

Gabriel Anton
09-03-2007, 08:04 PM

Why?

It is like people who spend untold hours pondering how to save the world. The only outcome is frustration and failure.

Eat drink and be merry, and all that.

EOY
09-03-2007, 08:06 PM

lol, I go through something similar every now and then. I remember once I was thinking really deep about it, and then the thought of sibling crossed my mind. I was like "who the hell is this person? When did he get here? How? A few years ago he didn't exist! Now he's a PERSON! ZOMG LIFE WTF!"

It's ok if you can't relate :D.

nnjj112255kkllo9
09-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Well done...

Dont misunderstand me. Even if a islam god or christian god was shown to be so, I would not love, honor or respect such headen views or their creator. An eternity in hell/away from god I would choose before accepting the morals of the disgusting views of islam and christianity.

Lager1
09-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Well done to you too :)

Mereological Nihilism is an option that many people do consider as a legit option. :)

P.S.
I Love you too :)

Why is it well done? It's scary to attain a level of self-awareness like that. Are we meant to do such a thing? Is it possible to become insane by contemplating your existence too much? Sometimes I worry about this.

lol, I go through something similar every now and then. I remember once I was thinking really deep about it, and then the thought of sibling crossed my mind. I was like "who the hell is this person? When did he get here? How? A few years ago he didn't exist! Now he's a PERSON! ZOMG LIFE WTF!"

It's ok if you can't relate :D.

No, I totally understand. I realize that everything I know about the world, all my experiences, everything I am, is solely based in my brain. There's BILLIONS of other brains out there! They all grew from the same **** I grew from! Basically nothing!

Every single human being has a similar experience to mine! The same self-awareness, seeing the world through two eyes. There was no world before I was born...but there was! It's mind boggling. I don't understand how my consciousness can possibly exist.

TranceNRG
09-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Dont misunderstand me. Even if a islam god or christian god was shown to be so, I would not love, honor or respect such headen views or their creator. An eternity in hell/away from god I would choose before accepting the morals of the disgusting views of islam and christianity.

hmm...
I am not sure whether you can call your approach contemplation then...
Rather it would be selective thinking and partial acceptance...

IF you truly want the answers to be shown to you, you can't limit yourself to a few selected self-chosen options. You need to have all options on the same level.

Be it, Religion, atheism, Christianity, Paganism, Buddhism and/or ANYthing else... :)

CRyan64
09-03-2007, 08:18 PM
i used to do that. im still interested in stuff like this on and of.....really crazy. but ive kinda forgotten about it and just lived life

EOY
09-03-2007, 08:19 PM
No, I totally understand. I realize that everything I know about the world, all my experiences, everything I am, is solely based in my brain. There's BILLIONS of other brains out there! They all grew from the same **** I grew from! Basically nothing!

Every single human being has a similar experience to mine! The same self-awareness, seeing the world through two eyes. There was no world before I was born...but there was! It's mind boggling. I don't understand how my consciousness can possibly exist.

Ever heard of something called "headless" or "faceless" meditation? Check this out: http://www.headless.org/english-new/experiments.htm

In short, you sit down, relax, quite your thoughts, and imagine as if you had no head. Thus, everything in the universe becomes your head.

It can get real trippy if you know how to do it :D.

ballsoftitanium
09-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Why?

It is like people who spend untold hours pondering how to save the world. The only outcome is frustration and failure.

Eat drink and be merry, and all that.Yes lets all give up thinking and get smashed.

Great idea that.

If everyone in the world thought like you we wouldn't get anywhere.

nnjj112255kkllo9
09-03-2007, 08:20 PM
hmm...
I am not sure whether you can call your approach contemplation then...
Rather it would be selective thinking and partial acceptance...

IF you truly want the answers to be shown to you, you can't limit yourself to a few selected self-chosen options. You need to have all options on the same level.

Be it, Religion, atheism, Christianity, Paganism, Buddhism and/or ANYthing else... :)

It is contemplation as i still accept that they could be so. its just not accepting the morals

Gadsden
09-03-2007, 08:21 PM
It is contemplation as i still accept that they could be so. its just not accepting the morals
I think that's a healthy attitude.

TranceNRG
09-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Why is it well done? It's scary to attain a level of self-awareness like that. Are we meant to do such a thing? Is it possible to become insane by contemplating your existence too much? Sometimes I worry about this.

Contemplation is good.
The more you contemplate the better.

Think of contemplation as working out the mind.
If you overdo it, you reverse the results.
If you don't do it as much, you won't see as much results.

Just like working out, through time, you slowly begin to get a sense of your own body and your own mind.
You gradually expand your boundaries.

:)

I think comparing the mind to the body would be quite useful.
Training the mind resembles training the body. :)

TranceNRG
09-03-2007, 08:26 PM

That implies that your decisions in life are separate from your contemplation, since you would not necessarily follow the outcome of your thinking.

For example...
It seems to me, that you're saying, that if you were a smoker, and if you contemplated about smoking and realized its side effects, you still wouldn't give up smoking. Did I understand you correctly?

nnjj112255kkllo9
09-03-2007, 08:32 PM
That implies that your decisions in life are separate from your contemplation, since you would not necessarily follow the outcome of your thinking.

For example...
It seems to me, that you're saying, that if you were a smoker, and if you contemplated about smoking and realized its side effects, you still wouldn't give up smoking. Did I understand you correctly?

I contemplate about truth. My decisions about the truth value of something is given to me by contemplation.

If say allah is shown to me to be the true god. I would say he is the true god and 100% correct. I would however choose to be wrong and not accept his moral code though....quite complicated....

Gadsden
09-03-2007, 08:35 PM
If say allah is shown to me to be the true god. I would say he is the true god and 100% correct. I would however choose to be wrong and not accept his moral code though....quite complicated....

but I guess you would be choosing an incorrect code, since the creator, Allah in this case is the maker of the moral code, the laws of the universe.

TranceNRG
09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
I contemplate about truth. My decisions about the truth value of something is given to me by contemplation.

Interesting...
However, would you consider your final decision a rational decision?

Another example...
If you contemplate about the consequences of jumping down a cliff, and realize that it may lead to either enormous amount of pain or death, wouldn't it be rational, not to jump?

jackal337
09-03-2007, 08:44 PM

Why? If you knew God to be real then you would know that doing anything against his laws would be wrong... either that or God would have to be wrong which is of course impossible as God is, by definition, infallible.

timmy47
09-03-2007, 08:46 PM

yea man i know what you mean. and on top of that im on this board too much. im trying to cut back from these debates. im starting to go a little crazy. im considering not coming here for a month cuz i just want to live for a bit and not worry about religion and evolution and all these crazy philosophical ideas and such.

nnjj112255kkllo9
09-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Why? If you knew God to be real then you would know that doing anything against his laws would be wrong... either that or God would have to be wrong which is of course impossible as God is, by definition, infallible.

God is not by definition infallible...i was almost going to start this point up..

jackal337
09-03-2007, 08:52 PM
God is not by definition infallible.....

The Abrahamic God is...

jnani
09-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Contemplation is good.
The more you contemplate the better.

With all due respect, this couldn't be further from the truth. Contemplation is a an activity of the mind. It's the absence of this activity that may provide the answer to the question of "existence".

training the mind resembles training the body. :)

These two have nothing to do with each other. Training the body is an attempt to condition it which, within certain limits, can be a very healthy thing. Training the mind to condition it is the opposite of what you really want. The key is to actually uncondition the mind.

TranceNRG
09-03-2007, 09:13 PM
With all due respect, this couldn't be further from the truth. Contemplation is a an activity of the mind. It's the absence of this activity that may provide the answer to the question of "existence".

So, you believe answers could be found without thinking about them?

These two have nothing to do with each other. Training the body is an attempt to condition it which, within certain limits, can be a very healthy thing. Training the mind to condition it is the opposite of what you really want. The key is to actually uncondition the mind.

It was through thinking that Descarte emptied his mind from uncertain beliefs. It was through contemplation that Plato reached the theory of internal knowledge. It is through thinking that mystics reach a conclusion that thinking alone isn't sufficient. As it may be noticed, the pre-requisite for reaching all conclusions, would be thinking about them.

When you think you provide the pre-requisites in your mind for the answer to come in. In other words, by thinking and unlearning, you open the space for the right answer to enter.

In the same way, by working out and break down (tearing) the muscles at the gym, you allow them to grow during the rest.

Couldbebigga
09-03-2007, 09:15 PM

I think you're working from 1960's hippy logic.

jnani
09-03-2007, 09:30 PM
I think you're working from 1960's hippy logic.

See? You prove my point. You think too much... ;) Anyway, do you have any evidence that this so-called "1960's hippy logic" was wrong?

And to TranceNRG: You posted an interesting reply and I will try to answer it later (I'm out of time right now but will be back tomorrow).

Gadsden
09-03-2007, 09:34 PM
See? You prove my point. You think too much... ;) Anyway, do you have any evidence that this so-called "1960's hippy logic" was wrong?

And to TranceNRG: You posted an interesting reply and I will try to answer it later (I'm out of time right now but will be back tomorrow).

I think the point is that you said you reach some sort of conclusion by not thinking, but that's impossible. conclusions are only obtained through thinking.

tmac4real
09-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Haha me too, not everyday like some days.

We live to keep ourselves living.

Our whole life, childhood is spent learning, so we can support ourselves as adults so we can have money to buy food to live.

Gabriel Anton
09-04-2007, 06:15 AM
Yes lets all give up thinking and get smashed.

Great idea that.

Glad you agree.

ballsoftitanium
09-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Glad you agree.Except i don't.

Gabriel Anton
09-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Except i don't.

Great idea that.

Multiple personalities then?

MonsterG8r
09-04-2007, 11:56 AM

In regards to morals, sexual restrictions and self-control over one's body wouldn't be an issue......would it?

RelentlessChaos
09-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I was there too, still am to an extent. Its really not healthy for you, will lead to reduced serotonin levels sometimes to unhealthy low levels.

Sometimes I wonder if we are meant to not know either way. Imagine the implication on life if we knew for sure one way or the other? It almost seems life works best as quasi agnostic. Sure everyone on ghere claims athiest or thiest but in reality everybody at the core has a level of agnostic to them.

Theres 2 possibilities people often never consider. First it is possible there is some sort of god but it doesnt give a damn about us, and has no plans for us when we die. Another possibility is there is no god but we still go on to some sort of afterlife, in a sense that would make us all gods ourselves!

yeah when your serotin levels are low, you get headaches. Massive if migrane.

RelentlessChaos
09-04-2007, 12:41 PM
I am sure that you have reffered to scientific books and articles etc. to get information. Since you aren't sure if science can answer your question and you are not sure that Religion can answer your question, I have a question for you. You have reffered to the books, why not reffer to Jesus. Just ask Him to reveal Himself to you. It is very simple. Don't require a specific way for Him to reveal Himself, just ask Him to do it and keep your eyes and ears open. He will reveal Himself to you, you will just need to be able to accept it.

your exactly right. For science you refer to books, data, etc.........your open to it

So be open to God, read the bible, pray and ask God to reveal himself to you. As he said, not specifically, because you may just be testing Him. Just ask for a relationship, and that you want to get to know Him. Amazing things truly can happen. You will miss so much if your not open to it, or not looking.

A miracle to me, is say a poor family that has more bills to pay than they get money, yet somehow make it

Or asingle mom with a child, and a couple jobs.

God is faithful and works for the good of those who serve Him.

user1245464
09-04-2007, 01:06 PM

Don't hurt yourself over it. We will probably not know what caused the big bang for a long time, but I suspect that we will one day have at least an accurate descprition of what caused it. For now, all we can do is evaluate the evidence we do have, and draw our own personal conclusions. I personally do not believe an omnipotent being created the universe, and I find it highly improbable, but I'm open to the possibility if some day evidence is available to support some such being. As of now, I find the proposed model of an eternally existing, self-reproducing choatic infationary universe most appealing, but that is subject to change also depending on whatever evidence may be uncovered. When I think about the beginning of the universe, J.B.S Haldane's quote comes to mind: "The universe is not only queerer than we suppose, it is queerer than we can suppose." The fact is that there is still so much we do not know about the cosmos. Things like theoretical particles, strange forms of matter, brane cosmology, string theory, etc. I suspect that as we further our understanding of the cosmos, and uncover new facts and observations, answers will eventually come to light.