PDA

View Full Version : energy levels with cutting

dtsymxfan
09-02-2007, 10:41 AM
so i've come to the point where i just don't know what to do and thought maybe you guys could help. It seems that no matter what I do, after a week or two of cutting I am drained of energy. I know this is a symptom of overtraining or maybe low leptin levels but I'm doing carb cycling so the leptin levels shouldn't be a problem and also shouldn't be a problem after a week of cutting. The test results from the doctor said i'm fine so that's not it. the last time this happened i took 2 weeks off from dieting and working out and then went back at it again...and after 2 weeks my energy was drained. I've been messing around with my workout schedule to see if that was the problem. I took my leg workout out and this past week I did: 2 weight sessions and 5 cardio days (low-moderate intensity) and my energy was still drained again. I'm also eating around 2100 calories. Do you think it's possible that my metabolism is high and my maintenance is like 3200 calories and i'm just not eating enough? This is driving me crazy!! what do you guys think? any help?

proteinpump
09-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Try an ECA stack, you will get more energy!

GP2001
09-02-2007, 10:56 AM
so i've come to the point where i just don't know what to do and thought maybe you guys could help. It seems that no matter what I do, after a week or two of cutting I am drained of energy. I know this is a symptom of overtraining or maybe low leptin levels but I'm doing carb cycling so the leptin levels shouldn't be a problem and also shouldn't be a problem after a week of cutting. The test results from the doctor said i'm fine so that's not it. the last time this happened i took 2 weeks off from dieting and working out and then went back at it again...and after 2 weeks my energy was drained. I've been messing around with my workout schedule to see if that was the problem. I took my leg workout out and this past week I did: 2 weight sessions and 5 cardio days (low-moderate intensity) and my energy was still drained again. I'm also eating around 2100 calories. Do you think it's possible that my metabolism is high and my maintenance is like 3200 calories and i'm just not eating enough? This is driving me crazy!! what do you guys think? any help?

While an ECA stack will give more energy, I wouldn't recommend it for someone in your situation. If our getting drained of energy after 1-2 weeks of cutting, thats more than likely due to your nutrition. I would say triple check your calories, also try upping your carb intake. Try getting some good complex carbs about an hour before your workout. Looking to supplements is something someone should do when they have a solid diet and workout routine, have seen good progress and results, but want something to add in to give them a bit of an edge. Supplements should not be used to try to fix something caused by mal-nutrition. Post up your diet, are you getting in enough carbs?

dtsymxfan
09-02-2007, 11:03 AM
While an ECA stack will give more energy, I wouldn't recommend it for someone in your situation. If our getting drained of energy after 1-2 weeks of cutting, thats more than likely due to your nutrition. I would say triple check your calories, also try upping your carb intake. Try getting some good complex carbs about an hour before your workout. Looking to supplements is something someone should do when they have a solid diet and workout routine, have seen good progress and results, but want something to add in to give them a bit of an edge. Supplements should not be used to try to fix something caused by mal-nutrition. Post up your diet, are you getting in enough carbs?

I do a carb cycle consisting of a 3 day cycle of: high carbs, low carbs, low carbs...repeat. High carb days are 300g of complex carbs and low carb days are 150-160g of carbs.

pre-workout - protein shake
post-workout meal - protein shake, banana, 2 servings of oatmeal
snack - apple
lunch - 7oz of chicken
snack - banana and 2 servings of nuts
dinner - 7 oz of chicken

yea, no vegetables, don't think i need them to lose weight.

i meticulously counted calories too. On high carb days i add in 2 servings of pasta and cereal to make a total of 300g of carbs.

sendoh23
09-02-2007, 11:06 AM
how long have you been cutting?
do you include cheat meals in between?

PatMac
09-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Are your stats right? Why are you cutting, you should be lean already if your 5' 10" 160? You may be drained because your already thin and don't need to lose anymore weight

dtsymxfan
09-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Are your stats right? Why are you cutting, you should be lean already if your 5' 10" 160? You may be drained because your already thin and don't need to lose anymore weight

well i'm 12.3% bf and want to get down to 8%....so i dunno

dtsymxfan
09-02-2007, 12:05 PM
how long have you been cutting?
do you include cheat meals in between?

yea i include a cheat meal every week. Well I was cutting for 2 months then i took 2 weeks off. Then i cut again for 2 weeks and then took a week off. Now I just finished cutting for a week.

FlyingStepz
09-02-2007, 12:33 PM

You dunno..? Well I think that at 5'10" and 161lbs.. you shouldn't be cutting! Especially at 12% bf..

Anyways I guess that's your choice..
but on topic maybe double checking your timing on complex carbs intake?

dtsymxfan
09-02-2007, 02:00 PM
You dunno..? Well I think that at 5'10" and 161lbs.. you shouldn't be cutting! Especially at 12% bf..

Anyways I guess that's your choice..
but on topic maybe double checking your timing on complex carbs intake?

i have all of my carbs pwo. So you're saying anyone that's 12% bf should not go any lower? lol alright...the problem is that the rest of my fat is on my hips and legs so that's my reason for going lower. My upper body is fit but those damn hips and legs...

RU4A69
09-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Tyrosine

PatMac
09-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Just my experience here but I was almost your size (6'0 and 165lbs at same bf roughly) and I tried cutting down to see abs but it just didn't work, i got drained. Its hard to cut when your body doesn't naturally want to go down that low. I clean bulked on a good 15-20 lbs and then cut to where I am now, usually in your situation you should clean bulk

dtsymxfan
09-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Just my experience here but I was almost your size (6'0 and 165lbs at same bf roughly) and I tried cutting down to see abs but it just didn't work, i got drained. Its hard to cut when your body doesn't naturally want to go down that low. I clean bulked on a good 15-20 lbs and then cut to where I am now, usually in your situation you should clean bulk

so when you cut after doing a clean bulk you got to the same bf you were at before the bulk or did you get lower after bulking?

dtsymxfan
09-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Tyrosine

can you explain more about this???

¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT!
09-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Quit worrying about drugs and ask yourself why your think bananas are REAL carbs ..
veggies - yes you need them to lose weight .. fiber , many aminos and vitamins and minerals ...

Ive been eating more veggies than ever this week and Ive lost 5 pounds this week compared to 3 last week .
And this week Ive been drinking pepsi 2 cans a day .. non diet

leave the bananas alone except maybe post workout ..

I use a banana + vanilla non fat yogurt + 1/2 cup steel oats + scoop or two of protein + nonfat milk for my pwo .. drink it 1/2 and half ..
Then I wash it down with a cup of grapefruit juice unsweetened .. ah the grossness

have some no yolks noodles with nonfat cheese instead of other carbs ..

Robby Coker
09-03-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm also eating around 2100 calories. Do you think it's possible that my metabolism is high and my maintenance is like 3200 calories and i'm just not eating enough? This is driving me crazy!! what do you guys think? any help?

It's very possible for your BMR to be a certain percentage higher than the calculated value (normal) for your weight/height/age & body composition. There's often variations of BMR between people of the same weight/height/age.

So, when cutting, while a given calorie intake/range may be ok for someone with a normal metabolism for their size, it can mean starvation mode and lethargy for someone who has a higher one.

For my current gender,weight/height/age, my calculated BMR is 1581 kcal. With my lean body mass taken into account (using the BMR formula which factors that in), the calculated value is 1486 Kcal.
However, from logging my weight/intake, my real BMR is actually around 2050 kcal. That's slightly higher than the calculated TDEE level for my current activity level (sedentary).

dtsymxfan
09-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Quit worrying about drugs and ask yourself why your think bananas are REAL carbs ..
veggies - yes you need them to lose weight .. fiber , many aminos and vitamins and minerals ...

Ive been eating more veggies than ever this week and Ive lost 5 pounds this week compared to 3 last week .
And this week Ive been drinking pepsi 2 cans a day .. non diet

leave the bananas alone except maybe post workout ..

I use a banana + vanilla non fat yogurt + 1/2 cup steel oats + scoop or two of protein + nonfat milk for my pwo .. drink it 1/2 and half ..
Then I wash it down with a cup of grapefruit juice unsweetened .. ah the grossness

have some no yolks noodles with nonfat cheese instead of other carbs ..

how are bananas not real carbs? they're fruit...dairy tends to hinder my results. I don't see how veggies would affect weight loss significantly. If im in a caloric deficit, eating clean foods and doing excercise, I would think that would have more of an impact than veggies.

dtsymxfan
09-03-2007, 12:37 AM
It's very possible for your BMR to be a certain percentage higher than the calculated value (normal) for your weight/height/age & body composition. There's often variations of BMR between people of the same weight/height/age.

So, when cutting, while a given calorie intake/range may be ok for someone with a normal metabolism for their size, it can mean starvation mode and lethargy for someone who has a higher one.

For my current gender,weight/height/age, my calculated BMR is 1581 kcal. With my lean body mass taken into account (using the BMR formula which factors that in), the calculated value is 1486 Kcal.
However, from logging my weight/intake, my real BMR is actually around 2050 kcal. That's slightly higher than the calculated TDEE level for my current activity level (sedentary).

I actually just got sick and that would make sense because my body is so deprived of calories that my immune system was weaker than usual. I say this because I RARELY get sick and to get sick within 5 days of cutting....maybe i just need to eat more calories??? I guess I'll try it and see how i feel. I'll up it to 2500 calories. You think that'll do the trick?

Robby Coker
09-03-2007, 12:40 AM
ok yea that makes sense because I actually just got sick and that would make sense because my body is so deprived of calories that my immune system was weaker than usual. I say this because I RARELY get sick and to get sick within 5 days of cutting....maybe i just need to eat more calories??? I guess I'll try it and see how i feel. I'll up it to 2500 calories. You think that'll do the trick?

That should help. An occassional cheat day (e.g. 500 kcal above TDEE) can be beneficial as well. This could be done like once per week or so.

dtsymxfan
09-03-2007, 12:43 AM
That should help. An occassional cheat day (e.g. 500 kcal above TDEE) can be beneficial as well. This could be done like once per week or so.

REPS. Thanks a lot man. I'll definitely include a cheat day

dtsymxfan
09-03-2007, 01:09 AM
Tyrosine

oh man maybe that's it! I researched it and a deficiency symptom is the "restless leg" syndrome. I definitely experienced that. I eat a lot of foods that are rich in tyrosine such as: eggs, meat, and nuts...I'll just take it anyways lol.

FunkDaddy
09-03-2007, 02:09 AM

Remember, bodyfat is the percentage of your entire bodyweight that is fat. Adding lean muscle will also drop that number down. I'd recommend a bulk followed by another cut.

NoTimeLikeNow
09-03-2007, 03:23 AM
I am sure this has been said in the posts above but I am too lazy to read it all. I do carb cycling too and one thing stressed on such a diet is to make sure you have enough fat in your diet. Since your body isn't getting its carb source it will be using other forms of energy and the next most efficient source is fat. Next is protein which isn't really a great source of energy.

Make sure your macros are solid, and make sure your getting enough of a source of fat so that you don't run into energy problems.

On top of that however, I myself used to use caffeine and now use N.O. Explode which I do recommend for workouts. It has a scant amount of carbs which your muscles will use up during the workout, and a whole slew of other performance boosting chemicals.

Check out creatine too, that might be useful for your situation..

dtsymxfan
09-03-2007, 04:28 AM
I am sure this has been said in the posts above but I am too lazy to read it all. I do carb cycling too and one thing stressed on such a diet is to make sure you have enough fat in your diet. Since your body isn't getting its carb source it will be using other forms of energy and the next most efficient source is fat. Next is protein which isn't really a great source of energy.

Make sure your macros are solid, and make sure your getting enough of a source of fat so that you don't run into energy problems.

On top of that however, I myself used to use caffeine and now use N.O. Explode which I do recommend for workouts. It has a scant amount of carbs which your muscles will use up during the workout, and a whole slew of other performance boosting chemicals.

Check out creatine too, that might be useful for your situation..

Yea I had followed the carb cycling diet strictly getting 20-30% fats and still ran into the no energy problem. Let me go into more depth about the no energy problem. Basically, my legs felt like jelly and going up the steps was the hardest thing ever and i didn't have enough energy to go out with friends. This is probably the most frustrating thing ever. It's like God is looking down at me saying "accept what you look like and you'll never get leaner"...ARGH. It's not that I don't have energy during my workouts it's more like the rest of the day. I am determined to get my bf down to 8% no matter what i have to do.

Bronkko
09-03-2007, 06:48 AM
I do a carb cycle consisting of a 3 day cycle of: high carbs, low carbs, low carbs...repeat. High carb days are 300g of complex carbs and low carb days are 150-160g of carbs..

on your consecutive low day you may feel less energy but you have the carrot of your high day just around the corner. i used something close to this cycle and it worked great and my energy didnt fluctuate as much as one may think.

¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT!
09-03-2007, 10:17 AM
I was saying energy wise - bananas are carbs in the form OF SUGARS . natural sugars good for replenishing muscles , but not the kinda carbs you need for literal fuel at all other times ..
Bananas have a component that make you sleepy ( dont remeber wtf it is )
Also when you said lack of energy and I saw all the bananas all I could think was sugar crash .

just try it

RU4A69
09-03-2007, 10:26 AM
oh man maybe that's it! I researched it and a deficiency symptom is the "restless leg" syndrome. I definitely experienced that. I eat a lot of foods that are rich in tyrosine such as: eggs, meat, and nuts...I'll just take it anyways lol.

It's a gentle stimulant, and it increases the efficacy of other stims (coffee, epehdrine, etc.). It can have a decent appetite supressing effect @ around 2-3gms daily (first thing in morning, empty stomach).

ALCAR is similar and has a DECENT effect on energy, but I like Tyrosine much better. Good luck, I think you'll like it. :)

Willdabear
09-03-2007, 10:50 AM
how big are your shakes? because that doesn't seem to be 2000 cals to me

JBul
09-03-2007, 11:46 AM

You're going to get a huge variety of responses to this post. But the truth is: the leaner you get, the harder it will be to lose fat. That means less energy, more hunger pains, frustration, your mind playing games with you. Just suffering in general (no one wants to hear that, but it's true) is to be expected. You have to get used to it. Most fit people don't walk around feeling on top of the world. They're always sacrificing. If it was easy to have a lean, fit body, everyone would be ripped. :)

wanaBsedated
09-03-2007, 11:48 AM

If youre using stimulants stop using them. You probably need to cycle off for a while.. if not you can try them but be careful.

Change your eating patterns.. I find if I consume a large meal and most of my carbs in the am then cut to mostly veggies and protein during the day with some fat at night (nuts)..this is the basic way your digestive process best digests food.. it works well. Even on a big caloric defecit.

carbs, lower protein -AM
Protein, veggies -DAY
moderate protein, Fats -PM

dtsymxfan
09-03-2007, 12:10 PM
If youre using stimulants stop using them. You probably need to cycle off for a while.. if not you can try them but be careful.

Change your eating patterns.. I find if I consume a large meal and most of my carbs in the am then cut to mostly veggies and protein during the day with some fat at night (nuts)..this is the basic way your digestive process best digests food.. it works well. Even on a big caloric defecit.

carbs, lower protein -AM
Protein, veggies -DAY
moderate protein, Fats -PM

yea i center all of my carbs pwo and then protein and fat for the rest of the day. I'm actually going to get tested for hypothyroidism tomorrow. I think i have some of the symptoms such as: low body temp. (95 degrees), lack of energy, etc. I know you're supposed to be weak on a cut but not this weak. This can't be right...

MrSinister
09-03-2007, 05:08 PM
my last cut was plain horrible in comparison to this one im currently doing (as far as energy levels) and ive found out why... i was getting nowhere near enough fat last diet.. i was very "avoid fat" on that diet and really its a stupid old redunant way to go about it.. this cut i just kept it simple and go by calories, whether they are fat or carbs, and my energy feels as good as it was when bulking.. things like nuts, pb, avocado...