PDA

View Full Version : Optimum blood sugar response...

dan c
09-01-2007, 06:30 PM
So, I used one of those finger pricking meters to check out my blood sugar level yesterday after a typical low-carb meal of about 10oz of flank steak and a decent sized salad (lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, cheese, balsamic vinegerette). It read 95. Then today I checked again after my typical post-workout meal which includes water, 2 scoops of whey protein, 10oz of grape juice, 1 scoop of Gatorade powder mix, 1 serving of Storm (creatine), and 2 slices of white bread. It read 119.

I'm just trying to find out if I'm getting enough of a blood sugar response for optimum gains.
Anyway, if anyone has knowledge in this area, let me know.

Thanks.

dan c
09-01-2007, 09:01 PM
dang...

CF10
09-01-2007, 09:10 PM
First of all, home glucose meters usually measure whole blood glucose as opposed to plasma blood glucose. Labs use plasma. A plasma reading is is always higher than an equivalent whole blood reading. So your readings in a lab would actually be more like 105 and 135, respectively. Perfectly normal, and yes I would say that you are getting a good blood sugar response.

EDIT: Oh yeah this is kinda important, lol: When did you measure (time frame after eating?)

Jules Verne
09-02-2007, 02:21 AM
EDIT: Oh yeah this is kinda important, lol: When did you measure (time frame after eating?)

Just a little!

Just to add - I'm not sure what an 'optimal' response would be, but you probably want to check someting like 15, 30,60,120,180 miins afetr eating. This will give you some idea of the rise and decay. At 3 houurse you shouuld be back to baseline.

Oh and you'll need a fasted morning one too.

AND you shouuld do it for several days to a wekk to make sure you are getting consistent readings and deceent statistics.

dan c
09-03-2007, 07:53 AM
Both times I tested an hour after the meal.
Thanks for the info, guys!