PDA

View Full Version : Injuries & Caloric Needs

Brer Ben
03-26-2005, 04:54 AM
Ok, I went snowskiing in Austria last winter. I had a really nasty wreck into the bottom of a ski lift after losing it; sliding down the slope about at about 40. My leg got twisted up and I smashed the tendons in my thigh, leaving an enormous hematoma and pain for the longest time. To be honest, the pain just went away last week. I didn't break anything, I just had a huge bluish-and-greenish bruise that hurt like hell on the outside of my right thigh for 3 months, as well as a bad knee (but it's all good now).

After arriving back in America from Germany, I got back on our school's track team. The first month and a half of running on this leg was a b!tch, but all the coach said was "ya just gotta run it out."

My question is, when someone has an injury such as this, are his or her caloric needs a bit greater than someone who is in tip-top shape? I mean, does the body need a bit more protein and such to repair the muscle and other tissues that were damaged? I've been interested in this question.

Samuel Corble
03-26-2005, 05:08 AM
As long as your protien levels are hight then you'll be good. I dont neccessarily think that you need more calories to heal. Instead of eating more make sure you getting all the right healing vitamins/minerals and supplements inside:

Glucosamine, Condroitin, MSM, Silicon, etc.
Also high levels of vit C, Zinc, Copper help to produce collegan which is what make up ligaments and tendons, so stuff plenty of this in to help heal.
asprin also helps to repair cartillege.
Devils Claw can help tendon repair (especially in the back).

There are loads of others just get to see a nutritionalist. Those above are some of my faves.

Also take an anti.inflam after training if you get sore to prevent any damaging inflammation. Also ice it regularly and apply alternate hold and cold packs to promote healing bloodflow!

laters

Mcoguy
03-26-2005, 05:44 AM
As long as your protien levels are hight then you'll be good. I dont neccessarily think that you need more calories to heal. Instead of eating more make sure you getting all the right healing vitamins/minerals and supplements inside:

Glucosamine, Condroitin, MSM, Silicon, etc.
Also high levels of vit C, Zinc, Copper help to produce collegan which is what make up ligaments and tendons, so stuff plenty of this in to help heal.
asprin also helps to repair cartillege.
Devils Claw can help tendon repair (especially in the back).

There are loads of others just get to see a nutritionalist. Those above are some of my faves.

Also take an anti.inflam after training if you get sore to prevent any damaging inflammation. Also ice it regularly and apply alternate hold and cold packs to promote healing bloodflow!

laters

That is actually REALLY good advice. While I personally see no benefit to glucosamine, I'm not very old so it's effects on myself may not be that great. I'd also recommend a BCAA supplement such as ICE or Xtend as they are very anabolic in nature and should promote tissue growth/development/repair.

Samuel Corble
03-26-2005, 05:57 AM
hey Mcoguy!
Are these amino supps ICE and Xtend good?? Where do you get them from?
Anabolic in nature?!! I like the sounds of that! I am currently recovering from shoulder surgery and need all the help my body can get.

cheers