PDA

View Full Version : Best Oil to throw into salads/beans?

violinlifter
03-22-2005, 06:55 PM
I just finished a small thing of Olive oil...and I'm about to head off to get more. Is there a better oil I can be taking in to get the good fats I need? (Plus, I want it to taste decent w/ salads/black beans).

Malaka1985
03-22-2005, 06:56 PM
olive oil is the sh!t

iceman338
03-22-2005, 06:58 PM
I just finished a small thing of Olive oil...and I'm about to head off to get more. Is there a better oil I can be taking in to get the good fats I need? (Plus, I want it to taste decent w/ salads/black beans).

I'd have to say it has the best nutritional value to taste ratio of most oils...for example, flax seed oil would obvilusly be a better choice...but have u tasted that crap by itself? ACK! I almost threw up...olive oil's not that bad, and besides, i usually make a dressing with only about 3 Tbsp of olive oil in like 1/2 cup of dressing, so that's very little oil per serving, thus, i'm not too worried about it...

Thudd
03-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Spend a couple of extra dollars and buy a high quality gourmet olive oil. There's a huge difference between those and the bog standard varieties.

iceman338
03-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Spend a couple of extra dollars and buy a high quality gourmet olive oil. There's a huge difference between those and the bog standard varieties.

Ya...this is true...my mom bought me a 2L jug of Bertolli Extra virgin at the start of the school year...great for all your salad oil needs...mmm...

brake
03-22-2005, 10:35 PM
what about grapeseed oil? what does that taste like?

xenithon
03-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Olive oil is indeed fantastic. As mentioned, spend some extra cash and get a good quality oil. I really like unfiltered varieties, very dark in color. These are peppery and fruity. Extra virgin, first cold pressing of course :)

Brake - grapeseed oil is also very healthy. However it is virtually tasteless. It is thus very useful when you need something without a strong flavor (eg. making your own mayo). It is also very good to cook with as it has a high smoking point and remains stable at high temps.

Some other good oils are walnut, peanut or almond oils. These are also cold-pressed, and work fantastically when used in salads which contain nuts (great synergy of flavor).

X

armz_ha
03-23-2005, 01:08 AM
stick to olive oil...

whiplash
03-23-2005, 02:11 AM
Linseed Oil put over the top...(dont cook with linseed oil though)

a good quality olive oil - always

Sixpack
03-23-2005, 02:16 AM
Can't go wrong with olive oil great source of fat

violinlifter
03-23-2005, 01:26 PM
thanks guys!

1MOREP
03-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Olive oil is great!! For a salad, drizzle some on with a few splashes of Balsamic vinegar and your good to go.