PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in God?

Louis37
08-30-2007, 03:55 PM
I don't. Dawkins knows best.

crimsonanger
08-30-2007, 03:57 PM
I find it highly unlikely.

WellHungOver
08-30-2007, 04:02 PM
I used to be agnostic until I heard someone say "If you believe in god and he doesn't exsist, no big deal, but if you don't belive in god and he does exsist, you're ****ed".

That quote is probably not entirely accurate.

MesoPeaks
08-30-2007, 04:02 PM
I do, the one we see around, liked blue sky,trees ,waters, stars etc..Is obviously not a man made..Man has limit, the one who made those things have no limits...even our understanding about things has limits..Because we are flesh and we die..

crimsonanger
08-30-2007, 04:03 PM
I used to be agnostic until I heard someone say "If you believe in god and he doesn't exsist, no big deal, but if you don't belive in god and he does exsist, you're ****ed".

Close enough. That's Pascal's Wager, and has numerous flaws.

crimsonanger
08-30-2007, 04:04 PM
I do, the one we see around, liked blue sky,trees ,waters, stars etc..Is obviously not a man made..Man has limit, the one who made those things have no limits...even our understanding about things has limits..Because we are flesh and we die..

Just because it isn't man-made doesn't mean it is god-made.

Louis37
08-30-2007, 04:06 PM

So do you believe in the Lord and Allah as well? If not oopps.

Louis37
08-30-2007, 04:07 PM

But we pass on knowledge, we don't just start again. It's called civilisation.

user1245464

So is the only reason you choose to believe in god because of fear of punishment after death? Which god did you choose to believe in? There are literally thousands of different gods. For you sake it had better not be the jealous, omniscient type, because if it is he will certainly see through your questionable motives for believing in a god. There must be some other basis for your belief, right?

MesoPeaks
Just because it isn't man-made doesn't mean it is god-made.

Yes, coz I have a basis on that and that's the bible..

crimsonanger
08-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Yes, coz I have a basis on that and that's the bible..

The bible was written by man, not god. Man can say anything, that doesn't make it true.

I'm handsome, and beautiful women are constantly trying to get me into bed.

See?

wellbuilt
08-30-2007, 04:10 PM
(Serious)God...hmmm...Mesopeaks brings up an important point. Who believe's in God? Which one? Who's god? One that IS or one that I have made in my image?

(not-so-serious) There are so many...

MesoPeaks
08-30-2007, 04:19 PM
The bible was written by man, not god. Man can say anything, that doesn't make it true.

I'm handsome, and beautiful women are constantly trying to get me into bed.

See?

God send prophets etc.. To command people to write his words or put his words , so that man will understand that there is a God..Because God is so powerful, the man can't even take his vocal voice..He is that so powerful,thus..He talked to people in the past through dreams etc...To spread his words to many people..

(Serious)God...hmmm...Mesopeaks brings up an important point. Who believe's in God? Which one? Who's god? One that IS or one that I have made in my image?

(not-so-serious) There are so many...

Who believed? christians...God is a spirit, so cannot refer it to images or statue ....

crimsonanger
08-30-2007, 04:21 PM
God send prophets etc.. To command people to write his words or put his words , so that man will understand that there is a God..Because God is so powerful, the man can't even take his vocal voice..He is that so powerful,thus..He talked to people in the past through dreams etc...To spread his words to many people..

This goes back to man's ability to lie. Anyone can say they are a prophet. By what process do we determine if they are the real thing?

Who believed? christians...God is a spirit, so cannot referred it to images or statue ....

I thought god came to earth as Jesus, and ascended bodily to heaven. Thus the bible asserts, which means that god is not a spirit, but flesh.

Violator009
08-30-2007, 04:27 PM
I thought god came to earth as Jesus, and ascended bodily to heaven. Thus the bible asserts, which means that god is not a spirit, but flesh.

Think of it as three offices, but they function as one..

WellHungOver
08-30-2007, 04:29 PM
So is the only reason you choose to believe in god because of fear of punishment after death? Which god did you choose to believe in? There are literally thousands of different gods. For you sake it had better not be the jealous, omniscient type, because if it is he will certainly see through your questionable motives for believing in a god. There must be some other basis for your belief, right?

When I get around to it I will, right now I have a lot of paperwork.

MesoPeaks
08-30-2007, 04:33 PM
This goes back to man's ability to lie. Anyone can say they are a prophet. By what process do we determine if they are the real thing?
man can lie, God cannot lie Titus 1:2

Through the bible..Bible is the only way to understand these things..Thus, you will see why all the happenings now a days are true and already written on the bible..Liked war,earthquake.etc..

No, he send his only begotten son to the earth to save many. That's Jesus..

God the father can't change his state..

adilrockstar
08-30-2007, 04:33 PM

He did ascend bodily to heaven. We will also have our bodies ascend to heaven.

adilrockstar
08-30-2007, 04:34 PM

God can do anything, He created Jesus.

crimsonanger
08-30-2007, 04:41 PM
man can lie, God cannot lie Titus 1:2

Through the bible..Bible is the only way to understand these things..Thus, you will see why all the happenings now a days are true and already written on the bible..Liked war,earthquake.etc..

Don't assume because I don't believe that I haven't read the bible.

Wars and earthquakes happened in the past, they happen all the time, all throughout history. What makes you think the bible refers to now rather than then?

No, he send his only begotten son to the earth to save many. That's Jesus..

adilrockstar, another believe of the same faith, seems to disagree with you.

Don't you guys see what kind of problem that presents to us non-believers? If the two of you, who both claim the same faith, read the same bible and come to different conclusions about it, how can you expect a non-believer to accept anything you say as truth?

MesoPeaks
08-30-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm done with this thread...

thanks..

crimsonanger
08-30-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm done with this thread...

thanks..

Bye, and you're welcome. Didn't mean to scare ya, buddy.

FOXXIE
08-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Yes I do

crimsonanger
08-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Yes I do

Would you date someone who doesn't? (hint, hint)

j/k :)

MesoPeaks
08-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Bye, and you're welcome. Didn't mean to scare ya, buddy.

I'm not scared at all, I just don't want to force everyone to believe..I just participated..That's all.

Thanks anyway.

crimsonanger
08-30-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm not scared at all, I just don't want to force everyone to believe..I just participated..That's all.

Thanks anyway.

That's good. And don't worry, you haven't come anywhere near to forcing anyone to believe (well, not me at least). And I welcome your participation. Thoughtful discussion is fun.

Lager1
08-30-2007, 06:07 PM

You don't CHOOSE to believe in something...you either believe in it or you don't, deep down.

I think it's ridiculous when people explain Pascal's wager because it is wrong. If someone truly believes in God, they can't just all of a sudden make themselves not believe in God.

Same is true of an atheist. You can't just say "Ok, I'm gonna start believing in God now so I don't burn in hell. Hey God, hows it going, I'm praying to you for the first time so that I won't burn in hell. I'll also start reading the Bible so I won't go to hell."

devire1
08-30-2007, 06:11 PM
agnostics don't believe in god, so why make a distinction between the people who don't beleive and agnostics?

*waits for nonAtlas, teh nazi grammar trollz0rz, to correct my obvious spelling error.* lol. :D

nonAtlas
08-30-2007, 06:13 PM

Wrong. Jesus IS God. He is God the Son, and He is ever-existent the same as Father and Spirit. Jesus is not a created being, and John 1 says that He is the guy who did the creating. As He told His disciples, if you have seen Him you have seen the Father.

:)

Lager1
08-30-2007, 06:15 PM
agnostics don't believe in god, so why make a distinction between the people who don't believe and agnostics?

I personally am not sure. I won't say either way if there is or isn't a God. Therefore I'm neither theist nor atheist.

LatissimusDorsi
08-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Wrong. Jesus IS God. He is God the Son, and He is ever-existent the same as Father and Spirit. Jesus is not a created being, and John 1 says that He is the guy who did the creating. As He told His disciples, if you have seen Him you have seen the Father.

DADDY!

devire1
08-30-2007, 06:18 PM
I personally am not sure. I won't say either way if there is or isn't a God. Therefore I'm neither theist nor atheist.

to me, being unsure about the existance of someone or something, means u don't believe in that one thing or someone.

it's either u believe in something or u don't.

i understand what u mean though.

it's all just semantics, i guess.

nonAtlas
08-30-2007, 06:20 PM
DADDY!

Whoa! You are accusing me of touching yo momma? I find that offensive. :mad:

devire1
08-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Whoa! You are accusing me of touching yo momma? I find that offensive. :mad:

y don't u give the guy a break? how is he supposed to know that you're gay?

not that there is anything wrong with that. lol.

":)"

crimsonanger
08-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Wrong. Jesus IS God.

That's what I said.

nonAtlas
08-30-2007, 06:27 PM
y don't u give the guy a break? how is he supposed to know that you're gay?

not that there is anything wrong with that.

You assert that his momma is a "he"?

nonAtlas
08-30-2007, 06:30 PM
That's what I said.

That is not clearly your meaning. You said...

I thought god came to earth as Jesus

In other words as if Father and Son were not God? That one could be God but not the other? That is not Bible.

Lager1
08-30-2007, 06:33 PM
As it turns out, hell isn't really that bad, God is with us in hell!

Psalm 139:8
"If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there."

The wicked will be tormented with fire and brimstone "in the PRESENCE of the holy angels, and in the PRESENCE of the Lamb;" (Rev. 14:10-11).

Hey, that doesn't seem so bad!

Especially since God won't keep us there forever! It looks like God will actually deliver us from hell! Cool!

Psa 16:10 "For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell"

Psa 86:13 "For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell."

Prov 23:14 "Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell."

devire1
08-30-2007, 06:33 PM
You assert that his momma is a "he"?

no. i didn't assert that.

crimsonanger
08-30-2007, 06:39 PM
That is not clearly your meaning. You said...

In other words as if Father and Son were not God? That one could be God but not the other? That is not Bible.

How is what I said different from what you are saying? The term "god as Jesus" means god, in the guise of Jesus. It means that god was god, but looked like Jesus. It doesn't make him not god, he just looks like Jesus. Are you a child?

Edit: That's it! It explains it perfectly! The continuous repitition of the same thing over and over. The obtuse willfullness, the utter disregard for anyone else's thoughts or feelings... nonAtlas is a child! Whew, glad I finally figured that out. I was afraid that I had encountered a full grown adult whose mind actually worked that way. I am much relieved.

Daneman
08-30-2007, 06:47 PM

I don't believe in God.

Where's the love?

1. Only until recently, women were second-class citizens. Women still earn far less than men.

2. God allowed slavery for thousands of years.

3. God allowed 6,000,000 Jews to die in concentration camps.

4. God doesn't allow women to be Catholic priests.

5. God allowed a lying, incompetent man to be our president.

6. Worse yet, God talks to George W. Bush. Great conversations, huh? God probably tells George how to pronounce words.

crimsonanger
08-30-2007, 06:48 PM

And those are his "chosen people".

Daneman
08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
And those are his "chosen people".

Good point!

nonAtlas
08-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Where's the love?

Everywhere you look. We are, as a society, the height of freedom, health and education. Are you not doing pretty well?

1. Only until recently, women were second-class citizens.

Not true; at least not according to God.

Women still earn far less than men.

That statement is a broad net and not accurate.

2. God allowed slavery for thousands of years.

Not true. Humans allowed it, and they alone made it a reality.

The West allowed it, primarily via its turning its back on God. UK, which has a sad history of giving God the finger, ensured that the jews would die, and the rest of the world found this fine and dandy.

4. God doesn't allow women to be Catholic priests.

First of all who the hell would want to be a "catholic priest"? It is not a position of, about, or created/authorized by Him. So what is your point?

5. God allowed a lying, incompetent man to be our president.

Not so. The voters bought Clinton's lies after being frustrated seeing GHWB piddle the Reagan legacy away. They knew it was time for a change, and the Demon-rat Party, as always, offered a miniscule menu. Clinton in 1992 was the evil of two lessers.

6. Worse yet, God talks to George W. Bush. Great conversations, huh? God probably tells George how to pronounce words.

It is true that W prays, and that this is why the Lord chose him to be president. That he then goes back to reading the DC Playbook is a strange thing but typical of a family whose history is in politics.

HoosierBoy
08-30-2007, 07:10 PM

Yes, it's a great idea to base your beliefs on a book.

Oh, wait...

nonAtlas
08-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Yes, it's a great idea to base your beliefs on a book.

Oh, wait...

Excellent ownage! :D

devire1
08-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Excellent ownage! :D

oh mai gawd!... gotta love a good pwnage!... haha.

nonAtlas
08-30-2007, 07:43 PM
oh mai gawd!... gotta love a good pwnage!... haha.

If you say so.

devire1
08-30-2007, 07:54 PM
If you say so.

damn straight. it's true if i say so. lol.

this is the first correct and / or accurate statement i have heard / read u make. good job!

i dont want to forget this, either: ":)"

crimsonanger
08-30-2007, 08:25 PM
You tell him, dev. :P

devire1
08-30-2007, 08:45 PM
You tell him, dev. :P

woot! haha!

":)" <---:eek: oops, i almost forget to add that.

adilrockstar
08-30-2007, 08:48 PM
If you say so.

did you get the email on yahoo? do ;you understand what I was trying to explain??

buddhastalin
08-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Women still earn far less than men.

That statement is a broad net and not accurate.

nice pun!