PDA

View Full Version : Question about heart rate and how fast to go on ellipticals.

No0b
03-21-2005, 12:27 PM
My gym just got these new ellipticals by Life Fitness. They're a lot better than the other cheap ones they had that didnt' even show the heart rate or anything so I don't really know what I was doing before. If I set it on "Fat burn", it says that my heart rate should be like 130. My heart rate keeps averaging about 150-160.

If I do 130; it's retarded and doesn't seem any harder than typical walking like from one room to the other...

I've always read to do cardio to the point where you can still talk but be out of breath every few words..which is how I feel at 150-160.

So yeah, should I continue doing what I'm doing or really go down to like 130?

whatsmyname
03-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Your max heartrate is 220-your age (197) if you are planning to exercise for a longer period of time your heart rate should be above 60% max. (aerobic)
or for a short period of time above 80% max. (anearobic). never push yourself even close to your max as this is extremely dangerous.
The heart rate is right to shed bodyfat it just means you have to stay on the machine for longer.

PhiSigmaChi
03-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Now how do you exactly find what your optimum fat burning heartrate is?

J-RODD
03-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Your max heartrate is 220-your age (197) if you are planning to exercise for a longer period of time your heart rate should be above 60% max. (aerobic)
or for a short period of time above 80% max. (anearobic). never push yourself even close to your max as this is extremely dangerous.
The heart rate is right to shed bodyfat it just means you have to stay on the machine for longer.

so you long should you stay on the machine?

No0b
03-21-2005, 01:16 PM
so you long should you stay on the machine?

I'd guess 40 minutes since that's what I put today and it gave me 130 for the target heart rate....?