PDA

View Full Version : Will caffeine knock me out of keto?

manchesterU
07-12-2002, 11:41 AM
I've heard conflicting reports about caffeine and keto.
Some say drinking black coffee will take you out of ketosis, others say caffeine will just make your blood sugar drop and you'll crave sweets - that's why caffeine is discouraged with keto diets.

So, anyone know for sure? Will coffee take me out of keto, or will it just make be want carbs?

Keto is going well, btw. I've been on it for 5 days and have lost 6 lbs. Probably mostly water tho. :)

Thanks!

MU

Roxie
07-12-2002, 12:11 PM
Hmmm.....good question. I have been drinking coffee everyday and have it with 2 tablespoons of half&half. I have been in ketosis with no problems. I guess you have to try and see. I am not craving carbs either. I know it isn't any help, but just try and see how your body reacts to it.;)

brwnsuga
07-12-2002, 12:23 PM
No, caffeine will not, but the artificial sweetner you use, might. If you are in ketosis, you are fine.

manchesterU
07-12-2002, 01:21 PM
I took a NoDoz caffeine tab this morning before cardio. I was showing pink on my ketostix before that - after cardio I wasn't registering on the stix at all. I was wondering if it was the caffeine pill that did it.

Maybe fitnessman would weigh in with an opinion? :)

MU

brwnsuga
07-12-2002, 01:26 PM
You should only check the ketostix with your morning pee. It does not tell you much to check throughout the day. Remember that ketostix just show ketones in urine, if you just did cardio you probably used all the ketones for energy, therefore you would probably not have any in your urine.

speda1
07-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Atkins says no caffeine because it triggers an insulin response (but I think it is without a rise in blood glucose), caffeine helps to mobilize free fatty acids.....so you're right, its conflicting info.

I like my coffee though, so I'm sticking with it.
:)

manchesterU
07-12-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by brwnsuga
You should only check the ketostix with your morning pee. It does not tell you much to check throughout the day. Remember that ketostix just show ketones in urine, if you just did cardio you probably used all the ketones for energy, therefore you would probably not have any in your urine.

I thought ketones where the product (ie. waste) left from burning fat. So the more fat I burned, the more ketone I'd produce. So, the more cardio I did, the more ketones I'd pee out.
I haven't heard of ketones being used for energy...

Anyone have thoughts on this?

MU

brwnsuga
07-12-2002, 01:49 PM
Search.

manchesterU
07-12-2002, 02:03 PM
I have. That's where I got my conflicting info about caffeine from.

speda1
07-12-2002, 02:12 PM
Here is my understanding of it. Ketones are a byproduct of fat metabolism and are excreted via urine and breath. But they also contain about 5 calories per gram and can be used as a fuel source by the brain and also during exercise. So you could temporarily stop excreting ketones after cardio, because you used them to fuel your workout. Fat metabolism, however, has not stopped and the ketones will begin to build up in the blood stream and finally the urine.

brwnsuga
07-12-2002, 02:32 PM
Right on, speda1! :)

chulock56
04-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Here is my understanding of it. Ketones are a byproduct of fat metabolism and are excreted via urine and breath. But they also contain about 5 calories per gram and can be used as a fuel source by the brain and also during exercise. So you could temporarily stop excreting ketones after cardio, because you used them to fuel your workout. Fat metabolism, however, has not stopped and the ketones will begin to build up in the blood stream and finally the urine.

i always thought that acetone was the bi-product

jaketrotsky
05-09-2016, 10:14 PM
Caffeine will not knock you out of keto but using artificial sweeteners to make it sweet will.