PDA

View Full Version : Bulking question - calorie plateau?

argonzark
03-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Let's say I'm consuming 3500 cals a day, and I keep putting on weight at a decent pace; once I get to a certain point, will I eventually stop gaining weight on the same calorie count? From what I know, the more mass (especially muscle) you have, the more calories it takes to maintain it; is this true, or would I gain weight on the same diet indefinetely? :confused:

rockstarsar
03-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Good question. I was reading about this in a book today. The more lean mass you have, the more calories your body requires to maintain that. In some studies, it has been shown that after increasing calories 800-1000 a day, the rate of weight gain slowed every week. So you will probably see results by upping the calories by a few hundred again.

bodybuilder45
03-16-2005, 11:55 PM
yes, the more muscle mass you carry, the higher your metabolic rate. also, your metabolism can get used to the extra cals and adapt to them, so you could stop gaining when this happens. this happened to me so i threw in extra cals everywhere. i only ate whole eggs, mixed peanut butter with everything, went to 2% milk, and ate a countless number of carbs. i broke my plateau and never been stronger. it sucks cause now i start cutting next week for my next competition in june.

argonzark
03-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Good replies, thank you.