PDA

View Full Version : Please help me advising my 57 year old mother how to work out

Iron_Mark_2003
03-15-2005, 05:08 PM
I have been bodybuilding for 4 years but I still don't feel like I have the right knowledge on how to deal with my mothers needs. She's a 57 year old woman with diabetes. She can't due excercises like leg extensions or squats or anything that puts pressure on her knees. She has been advised by her doctor many times that she must workout to keep her health up. She also has ankle problems and sometimes foot problems so it is too soon for her to be on a treadmill. She can ride a stationary bike. She cannot jog and has not been able to for some time. At most she can power walk. Please help me designing a workout program with cardio for my mother. Thank you to all repliers, god bless you.

someday
03-15-2005, 06:34 PM
what about swimming for cardio? that was my first thought.

A.FreeRadical
03-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Iron Mark, I think you ought to get some professional advice from a sports doctor or a physical therapist. Designing a routine for a healthy person is one thing, designing one for someone who is infirmed is quite another.

I sincerely wish you the best for your mother.

aA.FreeRadical a
Visit my 8 week plan for 8% bf http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697

petemoss
03-16-2005, 12:54 AM
Buy a push lawn mower without a motor. Legs get a good workout, and the arms too.

DanMc
03-16-2005, 08:55 AM
the same way everyone else should... start out slow don't get crazy and learn your limits before pushing them

Red Rooster
03-16-2005, 10:11 AM
I agree with DanMc, dont trian her any differently than do anyone else, with an exception. Avoid the exercises she cant do at the moment and use those as mile stones to reach.

Capt. America
03-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Nothings wrong with the stationary bike, it should help her with all around full body fitness. It will strengthen the ankles, knee's and hips. At that age starting out should be slow and gradual.