PDA

View Full Version : Too much before bed??

GrassoNY187
08-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Today was my "off day", and i seemed to eat really big. I ate like 2800 cal (which is kinda high for an off day). I was just wondering, do you think this is too much to eat before bed?

1/2 cup Cottage Cheese - 90 cal
4 oz nonfat yogurt - 45 cal
1 tblspn Natural PB - 100 cal
1/2 tsp cinnamon - 3 cal

238 cal

is that too much to eat right before going to bed? Or is it too much on an "off day"?

thanks

totalrookie
08-24-2007, 06:15 PM
nah i just had the same thing - 1/2 cup cottage, .5 scoop casein and 1 tbsp pb - deliciously taken down with some melantonin so i can pass out til 5 am when i can then get up and start eating again...hell of a life

GrassoNY187
08-24-2007, 06:21 PM
nah i just had the same thing - 1/2 cup cottage, .5 scoop casein and 1 tbsp pb - deliciously taken down with some melantonin so i can pass out til 5 am when i can then get up and start eating again...hell of a life

yes it is.... how much do you consume on off days? do you lower your counts?

djansen
08-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Today was my "off day", and i seemed to eat really big. I ate like 2800 cal (which is kinda high for an off day). I was just wondering, do you think this is too much to eat before bed?

1/2 tsp cinnamon - 3 cal

238 cal

is that too much to eat right before going to bed? Or is it too much on an "off day"?

thanks

no, i would have more cottage cheese, make it 1 cup cottage cheese. and dont cout the cals in your cinnamon, thats how EDs start.

The Solution
08-24-2007, 07:06 PM
if u think 230 cals in a meal is a lot then what does the rest of ur diet look like?

many people take over 300-400 easily before hitting bed with 1 cup of cottage cheese and 2 tablespoons peanut butter which hinders nearly 380

230 is light pre-bed.. and on an offday whats the big deal.. u need to refeed ur body for the upcoming workouts anyways.. so dont make such a big deal about it.. at ur weight taking in 2800 would be normal considering how active you are and like to do cardio/abs on ur offday anyways

so i would say its perfectly fine.. i would suggest dropping the yogurt and having some milk instead

Sciamach
08-24-2007, 08:57 PM
you're 5'9" 130 lbs. You need those calories before bed! Probably could even take in more. :) As others have said, it isn't too much.

Aindreas
08-24-2007, 09:28 PM

1/2 tsp cinnamon - 3 cal

238 cal

thanks

Are you kidding? Not to be a d*ck, but how could you think 238 cals is ever too much to eat in one sitting? How many cals do you take in the rest of the day?

Alfz
08-24-2007, 09:31 PM
wow...my PB has 190cal per serving (tbsp)

Eat the same amount of food on ON and OFF days.

Muscle grows on OFF days anyway

Aindreas
08-24-2007, 09:34 PM
wow...my PB has 190cal per serving (tbsp)

I guarantee you a serving is 2 tblsps.

Blue Blazer
08-24-2007, 11:57 PM
What is this melatonin totalrookie, I am very interested lol...anything that will make me pass out and wake up at 5 am sounds like a magical pill for me lol

Seriously I sleep in bad...when school starts again I'll be alright, bit I can assure you I am NO MORNING PERSON!

SaintPatty
08-25-2007, 12:04 AM
What is this melatonin totalrookie, I am very interested lol...anything that will make me pass out and wake up at 5 am sounds like a magical pill for me lol

Seriously I sleep in bad...when school starts again I'll be alright, bit I can assure you I am NO MORNING PERSON!

Melatonin is a supplement of a naturally occuring hormone. It indusces serotonin, which in turn should help you sleep. It definately works, and is cheap. I don't use it often, though, because I find I wake up groggy and consequently have a crappy workout. But thats just me.

GrassoNY187
08-25-2007, 05:17 AM
thanks for the replies.. I eat like 3000 cal a day, but i wasnt sure if i should make my off day before bed meal lower. I kept the rest of the meals the same.

The Solution
08-25-2007, 05:20 AM
thanks for the replies.. I eat like 3000 cal a day, but i wasnt sure if i should make my off day before bed meal lower. I kept the rest of the meals the same.

i highly doubt u take in 3k cals a day.. post ur diet.. i want to see this.. but knowing you and doing HIIT on off days.. it might be.. and ur 15 so ur metabolism is crazy

still would like to see it though

GrassoNY187
08-25-2007, 07:14 AM
i highly doubt u take in 3k cals a day.. post ur diet.. i want to see this.. but knowing you and doing HIIT on off days.. it might be.. and ur 15 so ur metabolism is crazy

still would like to see it though

no problem...

Meal #1 (Pre-cardio)
Apple (that's all i can handle before running)

Meal # 2 (breakfast)
5 egg whites
1 whole egg
12 oz nonfat yogurt
5 strawberries
1 bowl oatmeal
1 scoop whey protein

Meal # 3
Home-made Protein Bar
4 oz nonfat yogurt

Meal # 4 (Lunch)
8 oz chicken
4 cups salad mix
1 pc cheese
2 serv. salsa
1 serv. carrots
4 oz nonfat yogurt

Meal # 5
Home-made protein bar
4 oz nonfat yogurt

Meal # 6 (Dinner)
12 oz pork
1.5 cups green beans
1 baked potato

Meal # 7 (Before-Bed)
1/2 cup cottage cheese
4 oz nonfat yogurt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tblspn Natural PB

That's it. It's basically like that every day, except for all the protein bars. I only ate them cuz they werent gonna last much longer. I do eat a lot of yogurt, and I eat meat a few times a day if i can. My dinner is always some type of meat if not pork. Usually chicken or steak.

That's about the average... Some days i eat up to 3500 cal, some days are only 2500 cal, but most are 2800-3000 cal.

Rodzilla
08-25-2007, 07:23 AM
i would have some protein before the run, just a bit. and i would switch the baked potato to a sweet potato because they are delecious:)

GrassoNY187
08-25-2007, 10:39 AM
i would have some protein before the run, just a bit. and i would switch the baked potato to a sweet potato because they are delecious:)

good advice... I was thinking of switching the apple w/ something about that size, but what would you recommend with a little protein? I only want to take in about 75 cal before running, cuz i get cramps if i take in much more.

Aindreas
08-25-2007, 11:04 AM
good advice... I was thinking of switching the apple w/ something about that size, but what would you recommend with a little protein? I only want to take in about 75 cal before running, cuz i get cramps if i take in much more.

More calories won't give you cramps, but a higher volume of food will. However, this can be alleviated by eating about an hour before running. I eat oats before running, but I wait a little bit so they aren't sloshing around in my stomach.

Anyway, at least drink some whey and eat a banana, but you've gotta get some protein and carbs there.

GrassoNY187
08-25-2007, 12:15 PM
More calories won't give you cramps, but a higher volume of food will. However, this can be alleviated by eating about an hour before running. I eat oats before running, but I wait a little bit so they aren't sloshing around in my stomach.

Anyway, at least drink some whey and eat a banana, but you've gotta get some protein and carbs there.

ok thanks... I usually dont have much time to eat then run (i'm on a tight schedule so i am squeezing it in as it is), but i didnt even think of more calorie dense foods. I'll have to think of something...maybe peanuts or something easy.

I tried to rep you, but i gotta spread some more around first. Thanks for the help.

Aindreas
08-25-2007, 12:17 PM
ok thanks... I usually dont have much time to eat then run (i'm on a tight schedule so i am squeezing it in as it is), but i didnt even think of more calorie dense foods. I'll have to think of something...maybe peanuts or something easy.

I tried to rep you, but i gotta spread some more around first. Thanks for the help.

Don't worry about reps, but I don't know that I'd do fats before running. Ground up oats in a shake might be easier to get down without filling you up, but I've never actually done that; I know a lot of people have.

GrassoNY187
08-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Don't worry about reps, but I don't know that I'd do fats before running. Ground up oats in a shake might be easier to get down without filling you up, but I've never actually done that; I know a lot of people have.

wow. never even thought about the fats... i was just thinking convenience. Good suggestion. I think I have an idea on what to do. Although, i thought slow-digesting carbs were ideal before working out. Maybe not with cardio?

Also, do you know any examples of fast-digesting carbs that I could add to a PWO meal/shake?

Mises
08-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Are you kidding? Not to be a d*ck, but how could you think 238 cals is ever too much to eat in one sitting? How many cals do you take in the rest of the day?

If you didn't want to be a d*ck you wouldn't be one, just sayin'

Now what kind of stupid question is "how could you think 238 cals is ever to much eating in one sitting?" I'm sure you at one point thought something that others would simply laugh at. Don't bash people trying to find answers.

Aindreas
08-25-2007, 01:52 PM
If you didn't want to be a d*ck you wouldn't be one, just sayin'

Now what kind of stupid question is "how could you think 238 cals is ever to much eating in one sitting?" I'm sure you at one point thought something that others would simply laugh at. Don't bash people trying to find answers.

Alright, alright that probably came off as harsh. My apologies.

The Solution
08-25-2007, 01:59 PM
no problem...

Meal #1 (Pre-cardio) <--- how about a shake consisting of berries/whey/and maybe some oats??
Apple (that's all i can handle before running)

Meal # 2 (breakfast) <-- if u have the oats in the shake above.. then ditch them here and have some WW bread and go with the egg/eggwhites ... ditch the yogurt and replace w/ milk
5 egg whites
1 whole egg
12 oz nonfat yogurt
5 strawberries
1 bowl oatmeal
1 scoop whey protein

Meal # 3 <--- whenever u run out of bars go with some canned tuna/chicken/ or some turkey.. maybe some almonds on the side for some healthy fats..
Home-made Protein Bar
4 oz nonfat yogurt

Meal # 4 (Lunch) <--- i think drop the yogurt.. 1 cup of milk (whatever u perfer skim - 2%)
8 oz chicken
4 cups salad mix
1 pc cheese
2 serv. salsa
1 serv. carrots
4 oz nonfat yogurt

Meal # 5 <--- same as #3 for suggestions..
Home-made protein bar
4 oz nonfat yogurt

Meal # 6 (Dinner) <--- replace baked with sweet or go for some brown rice try for variety in ur complex carbs
12 oz pork
1.5 cups green beans
1 baked potato

Meal # 7 (Before-Bed)
1/2 cup cottage cheese
4 oz nonfat yogurt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tblspn Natural PB

That's it. It's basically like that every day, except for all the protein bars. I only ate them cuz they werent gonna last much longer. I do eat a lot of yogurt, and I eat meat a few times a day if i can. My dinner is always some type of meat if not pork. Usually chicken or steak.

That's about the average... Some days i eat up to 3500 cal, some days are only 2500 cal, but most are 2800-3000 cal.

I think ur diet lacks fat.. sorry to say.. i only see Peanut Butter really as ur only source.. i think u shold incorporate some almonds and healthy oils.. maybe sprinkle some olive oil with ur veggies at dinner and add some almonds with one of ur protein bars and ditch the yogurt

also instead of yogurt all the time.. replace 2 of them with 2 cups of skim milk..

its great to get variety in ur diet.. i hope some of this may help

also do u take a multi? looks like a clean diet man.. i think u just overtain a lil bit seeign u do HIIT and abs on ur OFF day from the gym

GrassoNY187
08-25-2007, 02:32 PM
I think ur diet lacks fat.. sorry to say.. i only see Peanut Butter really as ur only source.. i think u shold incorporate some almonds and healthy oils.. maybe sprinkle some olive oil with ur veggies at dinner and add some almonds with one of ur protein bars and ditch the yogurt

also instead of yogurt all the time.. replace 2 of them with 2 cups of skim milk..

its great to get variety in ur diet.. i hope some of this may help

also do u take a multi? looks like a clean diet man.. i think u just overtain a lil bit seeign u do HIIT and abs on ur OFF day from the gym

ya, i do overtrain a little bit i guess. I usually try to do physical activity after every meal. I do it mostly cuz i need something to keep me busy during the summer. It will slow down next week when school starts.

I get in about 20% fat a day. My split is usually about 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat. I know, it is a little weird, but i have seen my best results by taking in a lot of protein and keeping carbs low. Should fat still be higher than 20%?

Also, about how many cals do you think i should be taking i a day? Fitday.com says about 3600 on avg. with the activities i add and my BMR and Lifestyle level, but that seems a little high to me. I am very active though. What do you think?

Thanks for all the help.

Mises
08-25-2007, 04:51 PM
everyone is different, if you find something that works for you GREAT keep doing it. What others do might not work out for you.

tweety09
08-26-2007, 08:39 AM
even i have 350 kcal before bed... :|