PDA

View Full Version : Surgery/Muscle Loss

lowkey122
03-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Turns out I have to have my gall bladder removed and the Dr said I can't lift weights for 3 weeks following the surgery. Are there any ways to preserve the muscle I've gained over the last several months or does lack of stimulus even with sufficient protein intake pretty much end up in muscle loss?

The longest time I've taken off is a week (rest week) and even taking in a lot of protein, I feel like my muscles start to diminish. I understand the difference between a pump and relaxed muscle and that's not the loss in muslce size that I'm talking about.

Here's a question I've been wondering about for a while. At what rate does muscle actually breakdown (like, lbs per week), assuming your body is in somewhat of a catabolic state? Everyone's seen the pic of Arnold on the beach looking like an 80 year old man. Whether it's real or not I don't really care. The point is, the concept of muscle loss isn't just a myth right? Once you stop lifting you lose what you've worked so hard for over the years don't you?

Whey suppliers promote how much lean muscle mass you can expect to gain while using their product after so many weeks but I've never read anything about the rate at which you lose muscle, and is there anyway to prevent it in a situation where you'll be unable to lift for a while?

Zipp536
03-09-2005, 02:18 PM
The point is, the concept of muscle loss isn't just a myth right? Once you stop lifting you lose what you've worked so hard for over the years don't you?

Whey suppliers promote how much lean muscle mass you can expect to gain while using their product after so many weeks but I've never read anything about the rate at which you lose muscle, and is there anyway to prevent it in a situation where you'll be unable to lift for a while?

You will lose muscle if you stop working out, but it wont happen overnight and it wont happen in three weeks either. I recently had reconstrucive knee surgery and was unable to do any kind of "real" weight lifting for about a four weeks. When I finally did get back, all of my lifts were down, it felt like I hadnt worked out for years. After about three to four weeks of lifting I was able to pick up were I left off before my surgery.

The biggest problem that I had was when I couldnt workout. I felt like crap most of the time and was tempted to eat loads of junk food and watch TV all day, which was about all I could do. Since I couldnt exercise and the last thing I wanted was to gain weight, I ran a small cutting cycle and took in about 300g protein a day. After this month of being lathargic, I ended gaining only about three pounds.

So as long as you keep your diet in check and eat enough protein (1.5g/(lb bodyweight) you wont get into too much trouble.