PDA

View Full Version : Football training

elatham06
07-07-2002, 01:18 PM
I'm about 6'1, 220 pounds, defensive tackle and guard.

I have been working my legs a lot. For a lineman, strong arms are helpful, but not important, and as a ninth grader going in i can squat about 250, which is pretty good for someone in my age group. I have been trying to build up my speed by doing 40 minutes on a stair-stepper at level 7-9 (about 70 steps a minute). Then, i work my arms and jog home in the heat, so I can get accumstomed to working with 10 pounds of pads in 100 degree Texas heat.

I want to build up my speed and endurance. Any tips?

tis I Sean
07-07-2002, 01:56 PM
work your hamstrings and run...

warriorlifter21
07-07-2002, 03:25 PM
What school are you going to

elatham06
07-08-2002, 08:39 AM
marshall high

Oafy
07-10-2002, 10:22 AM
If you want to improve speed you should try doing some plyametrics(dont know how to spell it) two or three times a week. My football team does them in the off season and during the summer workouts. They also improve on your verticle and quickness. I am also a defensive tackle quickness off the ball is more important than your overal speed.

bHsRassler
07-14-2002, 01:05 PM
Try doing 3 sets of 8-10 40 yd sprints with about 10-20 secs rest. That will kinda simulate being in a game and help u with ur wind. I do those and porch hops (about 3 ft I think) and stair hops(about a ft) those will help with ur vertical and make ur legs stronger. U can also do duck walks for about 40 yrds and do duck hops. Good for the legs. Good cardio too. PM if u want my full cardio routine.

Good luck!

davehutton44
07-19-2002, 08:39 PM
Deffinently work hamstrings, strint, and SQUAT. If you get fast no one can stope you at those positions, especially at end, if your fastand can come up and make a hit you could deffinently get some colleges lookin. Im 6'1" 215 as a Sophmore and i already have some small D2/3 schools lookin at me already. Trust me the work WILL pay off.

elatham06
07-21-2002, 09:30 PM
i hate windsprints. i know they work, its just that they suck ass.

one time during an athletics class we had the run windsprints for about an hour... hundred-yards, bout 95 degrees out.

bhenry415
01-17-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by elatham06
I'm about 6'1, 220 pounds, defensive tackle and guard.

I have been working my legs a lot. For a lineman, strong arms are helpful, but not important, and as a ninth grader going in i can squat about 250, which is pretty good for someone in my age group. I have been trying to build up my speed by doing 40 minutes on a stair-stepper at level 7-9 (about 70 steps a minute). Then, i work my arms and jog home in the heat, so I can get accumstomed to working with 10 pounds of pads in 100 degree Texas heat.

I want to build up my speed and endurance. Any tips?

Do a lot of frog jumps,lunge walks and duck walks everyday

in practice. When doing squats, go deep butt to heels and drive up.
Good luck!
BC

noles0001
02-01-2003, 11:52 PM
run sprints man but dont run long sprints. I played high school ball in florida heat. this summer I am walking on at FSU so i know how much running sucks in the heat. Ive been doing the training myself for the heat. But as a lineman you dont need to be running 100 yard sprints at a time. You need to be quick for about 10 yards. Run alot of short sprints 10 yards....then some 20's.... then at the end of your sprinting run the hundreds...thats when the conditioning part comes in.

dacster8
02-09-2003, 12:56 AM
hmmm....for conditioning....go do 20, 100 yard dashes. we did that in football and boy did it get us in shape. we only did it once too. go take some time to do that one of these days.

dj_badkarma
02-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Okay first off I'll tell ya little about my self, 6'2" 200lbs, DE and Pulling Guard. I run a 4.8 in the 40 and here's some weight lifting stats (these are reps, bear in mind this is my last set in a group of 10 , 8 , 6 , 4 ) bench 225x4, squat 315x4, power clean 235x4 and mill press 165x4.

Honestly the best exercise you can do for football over all, is the power clean. And not like just a power clean, but one right after another, with mininal rest in between lifts, the thing should hit the floor and be back up again. I mean think about it, how many people stop bettween reps on bench or squat?

Do Plyometrics, lots of them, work on your explosion skills, run stadiums and speed latters. Try track in the off season a good track coach will work with football players working on speed.

EAT LIKE MAD, and take your supplements too. Pack a lunch for school, dont eat that pizza crap they serve. Football is a 52 week sport. And you should allways be thinking about how to get better.

Peace,