PDA

View Full Version : keep myself motivated log

Azureus
08-21-2007, 05:02 PM
alright, im gonna keep posting here to keep myself motivated. hopefully.

anyways, used to be decently fit/athletic (never was fit cardio wise, but apart from that, fairly fit). anyways, after getting into uni, started gaining weight, especially in holidays. now im obese. its time i admitted it :| and have an arranged marriage in 3 months. im dumb, should have started getting fit ages ago.

so anyway, im going to post here about everything related to my fat loss. my research, plan ill follow, thoughts in general, progress, and random crap.

here goes

I'm pretty sure i'm a mesomorph build. good at short intense bursts, athletic, suck at stamina stuff.
height: 5"3'
weight: 179lbs
bodyfat: noooo idea, but a lot ;o cant find a way to measure it at home without instruments. bmi is pretty high though. clearly obese.
chest: 38" arms: 12" hips: 43.5" waist: 37" thighs: 27"

obese through and through. ive got a pear shaped body, so most of my fat is in my lower body. abnormally large buttocks+thighs.

aim: 60kilos, no flab hanging off everywhere. esp stomach/chest.

anyway, research to date:
i managed to lay my hands on a few commercial books, but wasnt really convinced. thought id follow kirsch's ny body plan plan thingo, but decided to not be lazy. cant be as easy as he makes it out to be. plus its for women, dunno if it's the best plan for a guy. mahler's kettlebell workout thingo seemed ok, but i dunno, thought id have a look around, google and stuff.

anyways, read through forums a while back. id prefer doing everything at home, no gym etc, but its looking like i might have to get it. skelooth says i really should join a gym.

reading through the beginner stuff, i think ill follow the advices. seems i cant just do cardio, 30 min runs for next 3 months or something. boyscout says to start with the ripptoe-starting strength. ive read the questions and answers of that ripptoe thread, seems its an ideal plan for me.

ripptoe thread says if i want to get a garage gym for the program, i need power rack, bench, barbell set, plate rack, and maybe bar rack. that doesnt seem cheap though, hrm :o and i have no idea whats what

anyway, so ill be following the ripptoe program, either at gym or at home, depending on whether i can convince parents to buy equipement aka if i can find it relatively cheap somewhere.

as for food, im reading up and working out my plan now. ill edit this and post up what ill be following. ill stock up on the stuff when i go supermarket today. though dunno if local supermarket will have it :/ never been to that area, no idea what stuff is. whey? oatmeal? :S i have quickoats for breakfast most days, or sometimes 2 fried eggs. eat randomly, drink -lotsa- milk (maybe 8-10 glasses a day or something). buy soft drink when i go to uni, sometimes. anyways, reading up nutrition stuff now. need to work out how much calories i need to eat a day in order to cut down fat.

btw, i went for holidays in a third world country for 100'ish days, and i lost 15ish kilos without much exercise and no conscious effort. wonder if thats genetic or the diet i put on randomly (used to drink 2 glasses of water before meals, light breakfast, and max of 1 whole bread per meal). in any case, im hoping i can get fit and/or lose weight. dont really care how much i weigh, ive always been heavier than friends, but i dont like the fatty bulk thingo. anyways, diet, reading up, now. will edit this in a bit.

Azureus
08-21-2007, 05:45 PM
ok diet:
BMR of 1839.7
so 2239 calories to maintain my current weight, since i have little to no activity.
Subtract 500 calories to find your cutting calories.
so i need to take 1750 calories a day to cut weight

ok, i can leave off lift and other soft drinks no problems. can switch from fried eggs to boiled eggs, switch from normal milk to diet milk.

ill switch from drinking milk when im thirsty to plain water. if i keep a bottle of water with me, im pretty sure i can drink like, 4 litres of water or something a day.

ill start the 'diet' today. ill read some more, find out what i can have for dinner (dinner is usually a family event, dunno what im gonna do about that :S i can eat seperately earlier/later, but dunno what i can have. if mum makes it, no idea about the calories. plus, we eat bread + curry, bread is like the staple food in indian subcontinent.)

i think ill follow a 50-30-20 pro-cho-fat ratio...

newbie guide says at least: 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, 15% of your total caloric intake to come from healthy fats, and the rest coming from carbohydrates. so what, 180g protein, 255 caloric intake from fat, rest from carbs.

ok im getting confused :o gotta read more. Isnt that way too many carbs? and so where does the 50-30-20 come in?

need to read some more

PS after some more reading, i think I'll leave off the supplements for now.

Azureus
08-23-2007, 06:40 PM
ok diet:
1750 calories etc

i think ill follow a 50-30-20 pro-cho-fat ratio...

newbie guide says at least: 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, 15% of your total caloric intake to come from healthy fats, and the rest coming from carbohydrates. so what, 180g protein, 255 caloric intake from fat, rest from carbs.

ok im getting confused :o gotta read more. Isnt that way too many carbs? and so where does the 50-30-20 come in?

need to read some more

PS after some more reading, i think I'll leave off the supplements for now.

ok, after some more reading:
it seems the minimum calories that an adult male should take is 1800. so 1800 for now, not 1750. also, 50 30 20 is what ill be following.
so that means:
225g of protein = 50% of calories
135g of carbs = 30% of calories
40g of fat = 20% of calories

i'm thinking of setting up a home gym of some sort. damn it, i want to start training soon. and i just realised, ramadhan is starting in 3 weeks, wtf am i supposed to do in ramadhan. i think i'm fairly screwed :/ I was thinking of just training and eating during night, then fast/sleep during day, but dunno if I can manage that. but i don't think i have a choice, see'ing as how i wont be able to drink water OR eat at -all- during ramadhan. i think my effective time remaining got cut to like, 1 month. unless i can do something during ramadhan. argh

anyways, ill worry about that when it starts. for now, i was looking at the equipment i'll need. i need a bench, 300 pound barbell set, and a power rack. its really confusing. I was told yesterday to get an adjustable bench so i can us ethe power rack to lift. but most of the benches i see come with a lifting thing. the only bench that is simple bench is non-adjustable. i dont necessarily need an adjustable bench for the ripptoe program, but will i be able to combine the power rack and bench?

argh, wish i had someone on msn who could help me when i got stuck

anyways, think ill read/search on the forum for both diet plan (should be someone who had 1800 calorie diet, since its minimum etc) and equipment clarification. I found a really good power rack, but its $740 :|

reading

Azureus
08-29-2007, 08:57 PM
yosh, getting equipment tomorrow or on monday
ahve bought most nearly everything ill need for diet, except whey protein. will look around on ebay, cant seem to find it at local supermarkets. i found soy protein powder, but it was damn expensive. foudn a sports powder formula, which was even more expensive. and im talking $30 for 800g
wtf :/

anyway, will begin soon ^_^

ive started an excel spreadsheet to help me keep track of everything. ill try finding an office software for psp, so i can update everytime i eat -anything-. ill then post here etc

ive got the nutrition planned out quite well too. sat down yesterday, read everything i could lay my hands on and worked out everything. put a lot of variety, so i shouldnt get bored. hopefully i can pull through.

Azureus
10-31-2007, 04:58 AM
woot, into second week of training
have lost 1.5 kilos
dunno if what im doing is right or not
esp the way im lifting (form technique etc)

am following starting strength as best as I can

deadlifted 73 kilos today, for some reason it made me real proud XD squat was 63, and totally killed me :/

im finding it hard to get lotsa protein though. i havent been calculating how much i eat everyday, though I really really should huh. tomorrows uni, on friday ill sit down and make a proper eating plan. I've been eating clean though, lotsa oats and quality carbs. lots and lots of milk, dunno if thats good or not, see'ing as how milk alone will prolly push my fat limit over. ah well, im addicted to milk. dont like skim and stuff.

proteins, biiigggg problem T_T

acd
11-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Good luck, just work with what you have. Anything is better than nothing. Body weight exercises are great if you don't have $$$ for equipment.

Azureus
04-21-2008, 09:02 PM
hm, starting again. went overseas for 3 months, couldnt do anything, returned in march. oh well.

ive tried asking in various forums, but no one has really replied, so im just going to do starting strength program, same as before. hopefully calves won't hurt this time.

starting today or tomorrow, prolly tomorrow hmmm
ive made a proper excel spreadsheet to help me manage everything, and have bought the actual starting strength book.