PDA

View Full Version : Can you go wrong with Sashimi? (Salmon/Tuna/etc)

Nutridense
08-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Just pure Sashimi with soy sauce or lemon?

Iv been eating at buffets every night (along with other restuarants) on my vacation, and eat at least 60-70 pieces of Salmon Sashimi.

Good source of healthy fats and Protein?

Low Carbs, minimal fat gain for a vacation?

Im Bulking Btw.

PyroBurns
08-21-2007, 09:08 AM
No, just make sure you're not eating too much.

mcdbb
08-21-2007, 09:09 AM
That is a TON of protein. You might want to go easy on the salmon there, buddy...depending on how generous the slice, we're probably talking well over a pound of fish there. The fat benefits are there but you might be talking "way way way way way too much of a good thing."

And where did you ever get the idea that carbs make you fat? Sure, they can contribute to it, but only if they are part of that surplus. No surplus, no fat gain.

Nutridense
08-21-2007, 09:10 AM
That is a TON of protein. You might want to go easy on the salmon there, buddy...depending on how generous the slice, we're probably talking well over a pound of fish there. The fat benefits are there but you might be talking "way way way way way too much of a good thing."

And where did you ever get the idea that carbs make you fat? Sure, they can contribute to it, but only if they are part of that surplus. No surplus, no fat gain.

i completely understand the concept of Calories in vs Calories out having dominance over the whole "carbs at night wont make you fat" issue.

But, since its vacation, and im not working out, and its late at night before bed, just thought id stick to protein :)

PyroBurns
08-21-2007, 09:13 AM
I plugged it into fitday, assuming those pieces of fish are about .3 ounces each (I put 20 ounces to account for the 60-70 pieces.)

Thats about 820 calories with 33g fat and 122g protein. Not bad! I thought it'd be waaay more. Just don't eat it all at once.

mcdbb
08-21-2007, 09:20 AM
I plugged it into fitday, assuming those pieces of fish are about .3 ounces each (I put 20 ounces to account for the 60-70 pieces.)

Thats about 820 calories with 33g fat and 122g protein. Not bad! I thought it'd be waaay more. Just don't eat it all at once.

That's a pretty big assumption...if you're off by a tenth of an ounce that's still an extra 6-7 ounces.

I believe a better estimate would be closer to half an ounce of fish per slice. Of course, the only way to ACTUALLY be sure is to weigh the damn thing. I give -100% credence to visual estimates. I guarantee you even professional sushi chefs will have a hard time slicing each slice exactly the same size. Off by a few grams here, there - it adds up in the long run, especially talking 60-70 slices a day. Or more.

mcdbb
08-21-2007, 09:24 AM
i completely understand the concept of Calories in vs Calories out having dominance over the whole "carbs at night wont make you fat" issue.

But, since its vacation, and im not working out, and its late at night before bed, just thought id stick to protein :)

The "carbs before bed make me gain weight" myth is just that. A myth. I work out late at night and usually eat a full meal, carbs and all, before I go to bed. I have yet to become fat (which would actually be a small miracle since I'm having enough trouble gaining weight as is).

Protein is good, but so are carbs and fat. You're clearly eating way too much in one sitting as is - unless your dinners happen to be long, stretched-out affairs like three hours or something. Additionally, you need to especially be careful with buffets if you're worried about putting on weight because studies have shown that the more variety you have, the more you are likely to consume. Case in point: go to your local "70 types of jello" buffet and look around. How many thin, svelte people are you likely to see?

But...anyhow. Enjoy your trip. :)

Nutridense
08-21-2007, 09:51 AM
The "carbs before bed make me gain weight" myth is just that. A myth. I work out late at night and usually eat a full meal, carbs and all, before I go to bed. I have yet to become fat (which would actually be a small miracle since I'm having enough trouble gaining weight as is).

Protein is good, but so are carbs and fat. You're clearly eating way too much in one sitting as is - unless your dinners happen to be long, stretched-out affairs like three hours or something. Additionally, you need to especially be careful with buffets if you're worried about putting on weight because studies have shown that the more variety you have, the more you are likely to consume. Case in point: go to your local "70 types of jello" buffet and look around. How many thin, svelte people are you likely to see?

But...anyhow. Enjoy your trip. :)

i agree completely with the variety thing, but for the moment, i cant resist it. Seafood cant get better than in Korea

As to the Carbs comment, i agree that it is a "myth" as well ,but take into consideration that im not working out at all, thus the carbs are not as necessary for me as they would be for you (pwo meal) :)

sportyhp
08-21-2007, 09:54 AM
wow i love sashimi but i usually eat like 8 to 10 pieces of it, plus a roll w/ rice to get in some carbs

advancednoob87
08-21-2007, 10:19 AM
I am not sure if it is in salmon, but shellfish and some fish has Uric Acid. I lived near the beach for a lot of my life and ate clams, fish and lobsters almost everyday during the summer. When I got my blood tested they said I had a high uric acid content. I would watch that, because it leads to gout and other problems. I have been known to down 50-100 peices of ahi or toro sashimi in a sitting, but I would not do it for a whole week.
-Geoffrey