PDA

View Full Version : New leg routine (critique plz)

Niroc
03-03-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm thinking on trying this:
Squat 3x6
DB lunges 3x8
SLDL 3x6
Standing Calf 3x10
I substituted lunges for horizontal leg press, I outgrew the stack and need to find a replacement until I get a real leg press this summer.

ShadowRydr
03-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Tell ya what Niroc,

I do dumbell lunges last on leg day. I really have to struggle thru them because my legs are pretty much toast by the time I get to them. But I think they've done more to shape my ass (sounds kinda strange for a guy to say) and strengthen my hamstrings than squats have.

I also find it works a lot of stabalizer muscles. Depending upon the dumbell weight, and how fatiqued I already am, I have to really work at maintaining my balance and not toppling over..a funny site indeed to those nearby when it happens.

Power-Quest
03-03-2005, 10:54 AM
After i squat there is no more life left in me.

Calf recovers fast , like abs do , i do them before i squat.

I would never do that amount of volume or amount of exercises in a leg routine since i do DC training , but to each his own.

All the exercises you list are great ones , compliments on that.

Mark1T
03-03-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm thinking on trying this:
Squat 3x6
DB lunges 3x8
SLDL 3x6
Standing Calf 3x10
I substituted lunges for horizontal leg press, I outgrew the stack and need to find a replacement until I get a real leg press this summer.

Niroc,

If you do legs once per week, why not try 3 sets of 10 on the Squats, ATG?

DanMc
03-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Do you do dead lifts on a different day?

Niroc
03-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Niroc,

If you do legs once per week, why not try 3 sets of 10 on the Squats, ATG?

I've tried ATG's but haven't been able to do them properly, in fact last time I did them I aggravated my sciatica :(

Niroc
03-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Do you do dead lifts on a different day?
No, the only deads I do are SLDL's on leg day, I don't do any regular deads on back day.

Mark1T
03-03-2005, 01:14 PM
I've tried ATG's but haven't been able to do them properly, in fact last time I did them I aggravated my sciatica :(

Parallels are fine, brother. I have had bouts with the sciatica, once really bad. Talk about pain!!

Mr. Someday
03-03-2005, 01:25 PM

Is it the ATG part causing the pain or is it form or trying to use too much weight (or a combo of both)? I am not knocking anyone who can't do them due to physical limitations (Someday can't do them as her hip barely lets her get to parallel), but they are far superior to parallel. I know for me my weight went way down with my ass!:D I've managed to get it back up to a best of 365 for 5, but dam the overall burn throughout my entire leg is simply not comparable!

ChocoChick
03-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Are you sure it's sciatica? There is a condition called piriformis syndrome that is almost identical to sciatica in symptoms. The difference is that whereas sciatica is usually cause by a problem with the discs in the back, piriformis syndrome is caused by a muscle imbalance in the leg. People who lift or are engaged in sports are especially prone to piriformis.

Here's some info for you

What is the piriformis muscle?
The piriformis muscle is a small muscle located deep in the rear (behind the gluteus maximus).

Differences between piriformis syndrome and sciatica
A common symptom of piriformis syndrome is pain along the sciatic nerve, so it is often thought that piriformis syndrome causes sciatica. However, piriformis syndrome does not involve a radiculopathy—a disc extending beyond its usual location in the vertebral column that impinges or irritates the nerve root—so it is technically not sciatica. Instead, with piriformis syndrome, it is the piriformis muscle itself that irritates the sciatic nerve and causes sciatic pain.

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/conserv/sciaex/sciaex06.html
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/piriformis.htm
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/piri.html

Personally, I have no problem with ATG squats but the 45 degree leg press kills me.

Niroc
03-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Are you sure it's sciatica? There is a condition called piriformis syndrome that is almost identical to sciatica in symptoms. The difference is that whereas sciatica is usually cause by a problem with the discs in the back, piriformis syndrome is caused by a muscle imbalance in the leg. People who lift or are engaged in sports are especially prone to piriformis.

Here's some info for you

What is the piriformis muscle?
The piriformis muscle is a small muscle located deep in the rear (behind the gluteus maximus).

Differences between piriformis syndrome and sciatica
A common symptom of piriformis syndrome is pain along the sciatic nerve, so it is often thought that piriformis syndrome causes sciatica. However, piriformis syndrome does not involve a radiculopathy—a disc extending beyond its usual location in the vertebral column that impinges or irritates the nerve root—so it is technically not sciatica. Instead, with piriformis syndrome, it is the piriformis muscle itself that irritates the sciatic nerve and causes sciatic pain.

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/conserv/sciaex/sciaex06.html
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/piriformis.htm
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/piri.html

Personally, I have no problem with ATG squats but the 45 degree leg press kills me.

Excellent post, I do have bulging discs but there is no evidence of them pressing on my nerves to cause the pain and I often believed the problem did stem from my hip area but I wasn't aware of piriformis. It happened from bending so deep during ATG's, I don't think my form was bad and I know the weight was low enough, I was just practicing my technique with them. Thanks for the info Dbflgirl, it will be very helpful

Niroc
03-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Is it the ATG part causing the pain or is it form or trying to use too much weight (or a combo of both)? I am not knocking anyone who can't do them due to physical limitations (Someday can't do them as her hip barely lets her get to parallel), but they are far superior to parallel. I know for me my weight went way down with my ass!:D I've managed to get it back up to a best of 365 for 5, but dam the overall burn throughout my entire leg is simply not comparable!
I really like doing ATG squats, I'm almost postive it was from bending so deep with weight on me, that caused the flare up. I wish I could do them, maybe in a few more months I'll try them again. I've missed 2months training on my legs because of pain and I really need to catch up.

ChocoChick
03-03-2005, 06:28 PM
P.S. There are specific stretches and exercises you can do to alleviate piriformis syndrome. I think there are some at the first link I sent.

Also, you might want to try ATG with low or no weight. This is how I started even though I had been squatting with weight when I only went to parallel.

Capt. America
03-04-2005, 05:51 AM
Niroc, you might want to give these a try, they do great things for the quads!