PDA

View Full Version : How much Vitamin A is too much?

T-Baby
08-20-2007, 06:46 PM
I think the FDA or whatever "official" organization that monitors such things said 10,000 IU. However, I think it used to be 25,000 IU before they changed it.

I've been taking 24,000 IU per day. Does this seem unsafe?

I'm taking a natural Vitamin A softgel, with the ingredients of soybean oil, gelatin, glycerin, and fish liver oil. It also contains soy, menhadden, and herring.

Any replies are appreciated.

Rippedtohell
08-20-2007, 06:52 PM
dont quote me on this, but I believe if you ingest beta carotene it will convert to Vitamin A when your body needs it.

droxas
08-20-2007, 06:56 PM
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamina.asp

This is so not my department, so hopefully someone with more education can chime in.

GermanBarbarian
08-20-2007, 08:59 PM
I think the FDA or whatever "official" organization that monitors such things said 10,000 IU. However, I think it used to be 25,000 IU before they changed it.

I'm taking a natural Vitamin A softgel, with the ingredients of soybean oil, gelatin, glycerin, and fish liver oil. It also contains soy, menhadden, and herring.

To be honest the government says that the ingestion of vitamins A and D can be up to 10x the levels they currently have them set as. *note* vitamins A is only found in animal products, the fact that the liver in a person's body has to convert carotene's to vitamin A is were the 'toxicity' comes into play when ingesting carotenes. Basically on a daily basis try to get 150-200% of your RDI of vit. A and D (since you are active) and you can eat just about as much vitamin A (from animals) as you want, the only known 'overdose' of vitamin A (from animal source) was when artic explorers ate polar bear liver which has sever million IU of Vitamin A.

siamesedream
08-20-2007, 09:26 PM
If you ever kill a polar bear, just don't eat its liver and you're good.

in10city
08-21-2007, 01:25 AM

Depends on the form... preformed Vitamin A may be toxic with long-term consumption in excess of 10 times the RDA (8,000 to 10,000 mcg/day or 25,000 to 33,000 IU/day). Carotenoids do not exhibit the same toxic effects if consumed in excess doses...

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminA/