PDA

View Full Version : What are some good energy bars

berkguy
08-20-2007, 02:46 PM
So here's my schedule:

1.5 hours weight lifting (9am)
School/Classes (11am)
Track/Practice (1pm)

So my diet would consist of oatmeal, eggs, and milk in the mornings before weightlifting. Then I would jug down a protein shake after lifting. After class I only have like 30 minutes to eat, so I might just get like a sandwich. So here's why I needed to know what's a good energy bar for the price. I need one that's especially loaded with carbs because I would need them to run. I was thinking maybe nature valley or clif bars. Anyone has any suggestions?

The Solution
08-20-2007, 05:04 PM
natures valley or cliff are prob loaded up with some sugars as well as carbs.. if you could can you make ur own .. there are tons of threads containig great bars you could make.. use oatmeal as ur primary source for carbs in ur bars.. and add some whey .. maybe some egg whites.. look up some recipes on the site here.. there are tons of great things you can cook at home / college and use all the time.. saves u a ton of money too

Skull Crusher Chris
08-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Two best bars are DS Sustain and VPX Zero Impact. If you can, make your own though but if not those are the best IMO.

eddiebo
08-20-2007, 06:19 PM
most of the energy and protein bars have hydrogenated oils. Most use this type of oil because itcan withstand higher temperatures without turning to liquid.
These oils are bad for you, if they were in the debate of good oils IE. Polyunsaturated, Monounsaturated saturated fat etc. hydrogenated oils are at the bottom of the barrel and have the most unhealthy impact on your body.
I personally try to avoid Hydrogenated, palm kernel and tropical (coconut) oils in that order when selecting bars.
That makes the list pretty short i have to admit.
If you throw sugar in the too avoid list, it gets into the single digits.
greens+ bars have been my recent pick.

grapemaster
08-20-2007, 06:21 PM
bananas are about .59 cents a pound

BlueFenix13S
08-20-2007, 06:24 PM
bananas are about .59 cents a pound

Yup. I keep protein bars for emergencies only. Buy some fresh fruit and deli meats or string cheese and you've got a good portable P + C meal. Want P + F on the run? Swap the fruit out for a handful of almonds. MUCH cheaper than any bar.